I want to try out tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antagonist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been checking out the Intro to Tech class. I want to be able to have more bottom time when diving wrecks and become a better diver. I am applying to a U.S. Navy deep diver school so I need quals before I apply and just to make sure I will like it before i complete my package.

Nice. Good choice. My only advice is do it and then practice practice practice.
Practice the skills learned until they become reflex. Don't cut corners. Enjoy the journey!
Once your really comfortable, move on to the next level. I see so many people go from zero to hero to fast IMHO.
Sounds like your on the right track.

It's a wise idea to get a lot of experience before transitioning to tech. That said, the 'Tech Intro' type of course can help you navigate towards your future development towards that goal.

If you do take a Tech Intro... pay specific attention to the gear configuration aspects. You can apply lots of these to your recreational diving, which will make the later transistion easier.

Also pay attention to the level of precision and consistency needed with the core skills; such as buoyancy, trim, propulsion and situational awareness. Understanding the goal-line that you will later need to achieve, will help you focus on developing those high quality personal skills as you gain experience in the future.

Get another 100 dives and then look into tech. It's not just a class that you can take. It requires a minimum skill set and competency, including things like mastery of buoyancy control while multi-tasking and comfort with diving in doubles. I doubt that an Intro to Tech course at your stage (0-24 dives) is going to be worthwhile.

If you're going to NDSTC I wouldn't bother advancing your skills. They're gonna start ya from the bottom and work ya to the top. It'll be their way or the highway.

oh yeah, your first dive will be in doubles with a horse collar.

I am in the navy now. I am just waiting for the reply from the school i am applying for. They say it will be easier for me to get in with experience and based on the level of experience that I have. I just want it to go smooth without any problems. Plus i want more bottom time and it just opens up a whole new world for me.

Get another 100 dives and then look into tech. It's not just a class that you can take. It requires a minimum skill set and competency, including things like mastery of buoyancy control while multi-tasking and comfort with diving in doubles. I doubt that an Intro to Tech course at your stage (0-24 dives) is going to be worthwhile.

I have more than 24 dives I just never updated it. I have 63 dives.

You still need a bunch of dives. Its a different world when the surface is no longer an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom