I was just involved in a fatal snorkeling accident.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished helping out with a Rescue Class and two things from the class might apply to you.

The first was something I should have remembered but didn't from my own rescue class years ago. A conscious victim/patient has to give you permission before you can intervene, at least in the USA. (Laws may vary internationally on this.) Ultimately, it sounds like she declined your reasonable offers.

The second, and more important, is something I told one of our newly-certified rescue divers. I was playing the role of "victim" in the various scenarios and was much more acutely aware of any slight imperfections in his techniques that the instructor, observing at a little distance, might not have called out. Knowing that he was also aware of these, I told him that in these situations doing something, even something imperfectly, is a lot better than doing nothing.

Lastly, kudos to you for being both quick to notice and quick to intervene. That's a talent that's going to come in handy in your future diving, and I'm not sure is one that can easily be learned. I tend to be quick to notice others potentially in trouble, but my problem is I spend a bit too much time analyzing and determining whether it's my place to intervene. Sounds like you did both quickly, and my hat's off to you.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, but based on what you did, I'd say you've got the attitude of a great buddy and potential dive leader.

Last edited:
Hey how I know what your going through I've been there
For about a month after the whole scene would play over like it was a movie in my head
I couldn't close my eyes without hearing screams or seeing his face
I found the more I talk about it the easier it got I also have my wife to thank who would hold me thank god for her she was my anchor.
Take some time take some baby steps
My biggest thing was dealing with the what ifs but I was able to find solace In knowing I did everything right.
Speak with your instructor if you are close
Take comfort in knowing you took action rather then stay on the sidelines
It's easy for people to say you should have done this or that hindsight is 20/20 they weren't there you were
Take comfort in knowing that because it was you out there and not someone who was just out for a swim with less training than you. that that's the reason there is one victim rather then 3
I pray that you find solace In my words
I'm also praying that you pull through this
Don't be shy to pm me we can even skype
Like I said I've been there it's tough
We need to lean on each other in times lime this

I saw an elderly gentleman in the pool today. It freaked me out and I just felt “death”. I thought it would be a few more days at least before I got comfortable, but then decided I should jump in and say hello. So I did! It was helpful. Now I guess its time to go snorkeling.

In my Rescue class, at the end, the instructor emphasized if you are ever involved in a rescue and it does not go well, you should seek some counseling. This was coming from a search and rescue diver who has retrieved deceased victims.

Your response at the pool suggests you are potentially suffering from PTSD.

Please take care of yourself!

Don't force it go out with a friend who is understanding
Take baby steps
Yes,
and yet, as a diver, sometines giant strides are indeed the right thing to do... :wink:
@Aloha Joe:
Not making fun of this thread, just glad you are indeed hanging in there and getting the feelinf you'll be doing just fine!

It took me 2 months and a friend encouraging me to get back in the water
I had my wetsuit hanging in the back porch and it took me over a month to put it away
The feel and smell of neoprene I couldn't do it

Back
Top Bottom