I would like to hear from overweight female divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody that would be so rude as to comment on your weight should be tossed off the back of the boat. People such as that... well, it boggles the mind how rude some people can be.

Think about it, you are out there doing it. You're not sitting on the couch wishing you could dive you are going on a dive vacation and I hope you have a wonderful time.

As for lead, according to the "recommended" ratio, I wear too much. No idea why because when swimming I sink like the proverbial rock but I'm way too floaty when I'm diving. It's probably just that my suit is still too new but people are quite shocked to discover how much weight I load on.

I wouldn't worry about any of it, just go and have a good time.

Poodles...

You just go and have a good time and spit on those that give you a hard time. :) I just got back from Riviera Maya (within eyesight of Coz) and had a great time. I am a new diver and have spent more than a few nights in tears over body.... (I am 5'2 and probably beat you out on the scale).

But finally decided I won't let other's attitudes or MY OWN ruin my life. Yes, slimmer is healthier, and I am working on it. but in the meantime I am going to have fun. I am in good shape and strong (yes, overweight, but you know what I mean!) and can carry my own gear. I did finally buy my own wetsuit... just got tired of subjecting myself to the trauma of that ordeal. Recommended from a similarly sized babe here on the board. I got a XXL woman's henderson hyperstrech from Leisure pro.. delivered on the day we left. It slides on like a dream and I am betting I could have gotten by with only an XL... but anyway....Now my solid rock skin, bones and muscle hubby takes longer to suit up than me! :)

I still have a ton of issues with bc's but that has more to do with short torso, hips and extrememly narrow shoulders than weight (although I'm sure the weight contributes!)

As women we are beaten into worrying about this constantly the men don't... I have seen some of them with their guts that could easily hide triplets smoking like a chimney just before heading into the water!!! YIKES!! I'd rather dive with you. And I have a few (female) friends that look great in their clothes (probably about a size 3) that couldn't carry a tank up a flight of stairs if their life depended on it!!! They can barely climb the stairs. NO thank you!! I would rather be my robust self. Yes, we would all rather be healthy and slim, but we do what we can and try to enjoy life in the meantime. Sounds like your hubby loves and supports you.... try to be as accepting as he is and just REFUSE ( i know it is hard) to allow others to ruin your vacation!

Off the box now. :) have a great time!

Hi there!

I'm a fairly well built girl (nice side step! :wink: ). And I'm never going to change - I've always been this way. Do I worry about what the people I dive with think about my weight? Do I hell!

My attitude towards myself is that I'm pretty damn good! No this isn't my ego talking, but I'm the only person in the world who looks just like me. I have been the same weight for years now, it doesn't go up or down. It's where I'm meant to be. I dive to the best of my ability, I try my hardest and as far as I can tell I'm no better or worse than the other folk I'm learning with.

If the people I dive with are worth diving with, then they don't care about my looks. I've made some great friends and most of them aren't exactly supermodels either!

I think a lot of confidence is down to perception. Percieve yourself as the unique and interesting person that you are. Just remember that there's nothing wrong with having a little extra flesh. I've never had that many complaints!

As Popeye says "I am what I am"

NauticalbutNice :fruit:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. What a nice way to wake up in the morning. I looked at all of the wonderful responses, and I already feel so much better. It seems that whenever I'm on a dive boat, I'm the only overweight female. Actually, once there was an overweight female and I was overjoyed. Well, she was the only female and so just having another female there is nice. Its so nice to know that there are other diving overweight females out there. Also, it is nice to hear from the others that weren't overweight but had great suggestions. I am going to print out this thread so that I can look at it again before my trip. I just get so worried that I will get DCS and it will be because I am fat. My husband is more overweight than I am and does he worry about this? NO! He could care less what others think of him, just as long as I love him. And I think he's a hotty! I wish that I could be that way. I know he cares less about how big I am. And someone said that I will never see the people on the dive boat again. That sure is true. Again, thank you so much.I really appreciate it.

The most important thing this 50 (well almost) yr old, overweight female can add is - have a great time!! Sure I still feel self-conscious and would give anything to look like some of the other females but I don't. My love for diving comes 1st.

I would suggest getting a custom made wetsuit/skin. In the Caribbean all I wear is a skin, but I take my 2 mil just in case for the end of the trip. I have been diving there 7 times. I have 3 suits from LiquidFit. I can not say enough great things about Carolyn and her suits. On the weight issue I use 18 to 20 pounds. My opinion may be disagreed with but I would rather work a little to ascend than not be able to descend easily.

Enjoy you trip with your hubby - ignore the idiots. It is their problem not yours. And please tell us all about it when you get back. Coz is a great place to dive!

Becky

I am a little overweight, over 50, and have bad knees and serious back problems. When I started diving a little over a year ago, I was terribly self-concious about all of these problems, espically since most people who dive where I do are all gorgeous 20 year olds. It didn't take me long to fit right in. Regardless of your age, size etc. once your in the water, your divemates judge you more on your skill and ability as a diver rather then the superficial. So you and your hubby jump right in, show your stuff and enjoy life. I do........

luvspoodles,
May I suggest that you print this thread and take it with you on your vacation. If you are like me you will feel fine until you are there. This way you can re-read the thread just before heading to the boat. Have a great trip and don't forget to post a dive report!

Judy

I am overweight and can't stand the way I look in a mirror BUT I still dive and to heck with what anyone else thinks.

What matters is that you dive within your ability and that you dive with respect for the ocean, reefs and other divers. That is what you should worry about and not how you look in a skin or a wet suit. I have never seen ANYONE skinny or not that looks good in a wet suit especially after a dive!

Go...have a great time and make sure to post a trip report!

Dee

I've seen divers of all shapes and sizes of both genders...and thankfully have never come across anyone on a boat who was rude enough to comment on the more full-figured individuals, either to their face or within hearing distance. People can be insensitive and make thoughtless remarks (although thankfully I've never heard one on a boat that I can recall), but they rarely have the guts to deliberately say something critical outright to someone face to face. It's one thing to be snide with your mates in an undertone or with a complete stranger you pass on the street, but it's quite another matter when you're spending time with them in fairly close quarters.

On the other hand, I had a great conversation with a larger friend and the female owner of a Sydney dive-store who was absolutely down to earth and encouraging. The dive store owner, who had a real-world figure herself, said that there were a great many plus size women in the dive club the shop ran, and she had plenty of experience in wetsuit recommendations. She had a very smart, no-nonsense and practical attitude to the logistics of being a larger diver. Most shops and boats seem to take the same attitude.

And, as has been so aptly pointed out, it's a very teeny minority who look remotely glam when they're kitted up. It's a great leveller!

Hi there, though i'm not overweight but have seen bigger size woman diving and yet not once have I heard any unpleasant comments from other divers. I think most divers are naturally nice people.

If you are still conscious with the physical aspect, would suggest wrapping a sarong around or over yourself after each dive and that's what i have observed what others have been doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom