I would like to make my own hookah setup....is it this simple?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great thread all.

I learned a lot. Thanks!

Yes I will be testing the exact hose that I have been using for ten years now. If anything would show up negative it would be from this hose. Now remember that I am a recreational diver and not a commercial diver. I use this hose in warm water averaging 82 degrees (July - October) and maybe for 30 hours total a year and in water depth of 30' to 60'. I use the hookah system mostly in the shallow waters of the Florida Keys. I generally prefer and use Scuba for most of my dives in and around Miami Beach all the way up to Hallandale. We generally do a wreck dive for our first dive (100 - 150') and then we go to reefs 60' and above for our 2nd and possibly 3rd dives of the day depending on our success on the previous dives.
Now I am guessing that even over the years perhaps not enough time underwater has been spent using my hose (few hundred hours total) to deteriorate the Industrial Pneumatic hose enough to release those deadly, devious and eventually killing chemicals into my bloodstream. But the test will reveal all this. I think that fstbttms has a very valid point BUT, I think he is also looking at this from a commercial diving standpoint and not a recreational diver one. Nevertheless, the results will be the results and I will immediately abandon the hose for the Grade E stuff should the results warrant this.

Probably 300' of the 34BA Bright Yellow Breathing Hose from Amron International. Or from a competitor if I can find one as the one from Amron is out of stock until Feb 8. I am also seriously thinking to have my existing hose analyzed by a lab to see what if any derrogatories exist. I am very curious about this entire hose business and not looking for shortcut just clarity. Is it possible that the cost to get approvals from OSHA, etc....is not worth it for some industrial hose manufacturers and maybe their hose is perfectly okay. I have the money to do this research so why not. Reports of the study and findings will be made avaailbe here at $50 per (hahahah kidding). Thanks fstbttms for lighting a fire under my you know what.

Why so much? What attachments do I need to hook this up to the 1st and 2nd stages? Also what can I use to keep it from getting twirled up/ tangled? And how can I attach the hose to my weight belt so the system is being pulled from my waist instead of yanking the regulator out of my mouth?

I really wonder whether there would be more contaminants from old hoses or new ones. Consider that new plastic and rubber products often have a strong smell that they lose over a period of months. Not that that proves anything, but to me it indicates that they are releasing something.

There are a bazillion kinds of hose connectors and you will find them at Home Depot, Lowes and hose suppliers. Most hose will have 1/4" male ends which is just fine as you will find all the connectors you will need for adding hose, keeping the hose from twisting (swivel connector). I like lots of hose length just in case I need to go deeper or want more range from the sled or tank location. I have never encountered any breathig hampering from this and I have gone out 150' of hose

The use of surface supplied O2 for deco in the North East wreck world goes back to the mid 80's. Use 3/8" ID welding O2 hose and the proper connectors for your 1st and 2nd stages. In a deco rig we also use a high flow O2 welding regulator going to a T or Y and two 2nd stages. For a 20' deep deco stop we will have 50-60' of hose.

A good welding shop has the hose on 100-200' reels and will cut to length whatever you need.

There are a bazillion kinds of hose connectors and you will find them at Home Depot, Lowes and hose suppliers. Most hose will have 1/4" male ends which is just fine as you will find all the connectors you will need for adding hose, keeping the hose from twisting (swivel connector). I like lots of hose length just in case I need to go deeper or want more range from the sled or tank location. I have never encountered any breathig hampering from this and I have gone out 150' of hose

I now see they only sell in 300' increments, any chance you want to sell 75 feet?

It might be awhile as I am going to wait until the results of the test and I haven't even started that process as I am overseas presently and won't be back stateside for some time. Maybe Summer. I will try and look around here for a test facility as well but no guarantees.
Perhaps someone else might be inclined to follow up on the industrial hose argument and try to get a more definitive answer there is USA. Or just buy one and get it tested. I don't think the testing will be difficult and only a small section of hose would be necessary to do the test.

In January 2006, the European Union placed a ban on six types of phthalate softeners, including DEHP (diethylhexyl phthalate), used in toys. In the U.S. most companies have voluntarily stopped manufacturing PVC toys with DEHP and in 2003 the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) denied a petition for a ban on PVC toys made with an alternative plasticizer, DINP (diisononyl phthalate). In April 2006, the European Chemicals Bureau of the European Commission published an assessment of DINP which found risk "unlikely" for children and newborns.

Other vinyl products including car interiors, shower curtains, and flooring initially release chemical gases into the air. Some studies indicate that this outgassing of additives may contribute to health complications, and have resulted in a call for banning the use of DEHP on shower curtains, among other uses.[26] The Japanese car companies Toyota, Nissan, and Honda have eliminated PVC in their car interiors starting in 2007.

In 2004 a joint Swedish-Danish research team found a statistical association between allergies in children and indoor air levels of DEHP and BBzP (butyl benzyl phthalate), which is used in vinyl flooring.[27] In December 2006, the European Chemicals Bureau of the European Commission released a final draft risk assessment of BBzP which found "no concern" for consumer exposure including exposure to children.[28]

In November, 2005 one of the largest hospital networks in the U.S., Catholic Healthcare West, signed a contract with B.Braun for vinyl-free intravenous bags and tubing.[29] According to the Center for Health, Environment & Justice in Falls Church, VA,[30] which helps to coordinate a "precautionary" PVC Campaign,[31] several major corporations including Microsoft, Wal-Mart, and Kaiser Permanente announced efforts to eliminate PVC from products and packaging in 2005.[32] Target is reducing its sale of items with PVC.[33]

The State of California is currently considering a bill that would ban the use of PVC in consumer packaging due to the threats it poses to human and environmental health and its effect on the recycling stream.[53] Specifically, the language of the bill analysis[54] stipulates that EPA has listed vinyl chloride, a "constituent element" of PVC, as a carcinogen[citation needed]. It also further cites that there are concerns about the leaching of phthalates and lead from the PVC packaging.

I'm sure it won't convince you, but do you really think these agencies, governments and corporations did this without a little bit of research? Think there might just be the possibility of a reasonable basis to this?

Even if your tests indicate no harmful substances, do you really think they'll be as comprehensive and in depth as companies with millions of dollars invested in the use of PVC? A yes/no answer from whoever you get to test your sample won't be any more definitive than the other studies out there.

The fact that there are contradictory results and an absolute, non-disputable, clear answer is so hard to find should be enough to opt on the side of caution...but once again, live and let die.

To be honest I am a litle tired of this discussion now. Everything is this world seems to be a debate of what's good or bad for you. I personally believe we are genetically predisposed to all the crap that happens to us. How do you explain all the anomalies with things including myself. The three pack a day smoker who lives by a chemical plant lives to a 100 while the person who never smokes and lives in clean air Montana dies of lung cancer. I'm 54 years old and have never had so much as a headache despite the many, many vices and excesses I have had in my life. My total Cholesterol is like 90 LDL 39 and HDL 51 and all my physicals reflect someone of amazingly good health. I will take my freakin chances with the hose. Yea and I trust those Government findings too. Have fun gentleman mental mastur.....g about all this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom