"ICE" your cell phone - Worth reading...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spstar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In case of emergency ICE

Paramedics will turn to a victim's cell phone for clues to that person's identity. You can make their job much easier with a simple idea that they are trying to get everyone to adopt: ICE.
ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you add an entry in the contacts list in your cell phone under ICE, with the name and phone no. of the person that the emergency services should call on your behalf, you can save them a lot of time and have your loved ones contacted quickly. It only
takes a few moments of your time to do.

Paramedics know what ICE means and they look for it immediately. ICE your cell phone NOW!

Please pass this one along

MyNoles:
But mine just doesn't work underwater............

Eventually you will float to the surface, even if it is in pieces.

ICE..good idea and never really thought about something like this. I remember caring a card in my wallet that had emergency info on it. Not sure why I ever got out of that habit. Maybe because the new wallets don't come with that card already inside.

I recently started carrying a card in my wallet again. I also don't know why I got out of the habit.

I like the ICE idea. However, I wonder if entering the info under 'Emergency Contact' would be better. ICE dependes on the emergency personel to be taught to look for it,whereas anyone looking for contact data would probably notice an entry labeled 'Emergency Contact.' Or just 'Emergency.'

I actually added a period infront of my contact, so it is the first one, like this:

.emergency
AND
.If found

since that will advance those two to the top of my phone book when opened!

GREAT THREAD IDEA!!!!

3dent:
I recently started carrying a card in my wallet again. I also don't know why I got out of the habit.

I like the ICE idea. However, I wonder if entering the info under 'Emergency Contact' would be better. ICE dependes on the emergency personel to be taught to look for it,whereas anyone looking for contact data would probably notice an entry labeled 'Emergency Contact.' Or just 'Emergency.'
An interesting thread, as this is what I do in semi-retirement - cell phones, between dive trips.

Let's not use "Emergency" tho, please. Some will store 911 there, or perhaps their local emergency number. Emergency Contact might work.

We stopped putting 911 in the 9 1+ button years ago as 911 was getting way too many accidental calls. 911 calls from a cell phone may go to a nearby dispatcher, or they may go another further away - depending upon which tower they register. If I call 911 on my cell from my home town, the call goes to a dispatcher in the county seat 15 miles away. I keep another number stored in my phone book, as that will go directly to the radios carried by every volunteer fireman and EMS personel in town.

I'll try to confirm this ICE idea, and start putting it in customers phones.

Oh I always put the users name in the banner of a phone, so it always shows when on. That takes advanced programming on Nokias, but it's really pretty easy.

spstar:
In case of emergency ICEParamedics know what ICE means and they look for it immediately. ICE your cell phone NOW!

This is a great idea. Is this nationwide?

I went ahead and put it in mine, but - keep in mind that if anyone calls from that number, Call-ID may flash in your screen "ICE calling." I put in I.C.E. - Randy (my brothers name).

And I long ago noticed that names starting with I was uncommon. But even if one has an "Irene" in the phonebook, ICE and I.C.E. should pop up first.

Scuba:
This is a great idea. Is this nationwide?

If this is a "true thing", then I think it's a good idea, but whoever
is "promoting" it to the public and the saftey/paramedics/fire/ambulance people
are doing a poor job.

I've recieved one email on this was was sent via normal spam/forward means
like many of us get jokes from friends this same way.

I forwarded it to a friend who is a paramedic and a full time fireman. He works
on the cities FIre-Rescue-Deparment and also works part time as a paramedic
for an ambulance service. NOBODY has told them anything about this.
It was the first he'd heard of it. He asked around and no one else at
work had heard about it either. So it though it seems like a good idea,
it lacks a viable promotion strategy/plan.

Too bad..... it seems like a pretty decent idea.

Back
Top Bottom