ID a Stroke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sigh...Derek...turn in your DIRF learner's permit...back to step one...

wolf eel:
A stroke is anybody who calls somebody a stroke.

Cheers
Derek
Well, yea... Of course!

That's why when Brian calls me a Stroke, I know to call him a stroke back... that and his mini stroke too! How is Wyatt doin' anyway?

Little "Wyatt" is just being fitted for a long body Gavin nosecone...he should fit nicely...

He's already part way through his "tub diving" cert too. He'll likely be instructing by Christmas...:D

FreeFloat:
Back to the original topic:
This goes for techniques too - for example people attempting a "deep-stops"-like profile yet are unable to explain exactly why they're doing so. Sometimes the answers (besides silence or a re-routing of the discussion) include "because that's the way we were taught" or "it's always been done this way/it's based on new research, so new you probably haven't heard of it" or "it's just safer/better, that's all".

Somewhat of a highjack, I guess. Studies have shown deep stops to better off gas, therefore adding in a little extra safety. Why, then, wouldn't an acceptable answer be "it's just safer"? Wouldn't this be short and sweet without the rest of the explanation?

To the subject at hand: I don't know why we have to label anyone as a "stroke". It is just one more way for us to make ourselves feel superior. I accept that I'm not comfortable with some divers. I don't have to call them names.

Sea nmf...I'm guessing here...does the phrase "doing it right" also strike you as somehow derogatory towards other ways of diving...the implication that perhaps they are "doing it wrong"...

(pet theory I'm working on...)

bwerb:
Little "Wyatt" is just being fitted for a long body Gavin nosecone...he should fit nicely...

Cool! I guess next round of this thread we'll see:

Stroke: "A guy with a drysuit nipple on his gavin and a plexiglas nosecone with a small child in it" 'When his eyes bulge, I hit the inflator, eh?'

Spectre:
Cool! I guess next round of this thread we'll see:

Stroke: "A guy with a drysuit nipple on his gavin and a plexiglas nosecone with a small child in it" 'When his eyes bulge, I hit the inflator, eh?'

You've got it! I'll post a photo when I'm done...I'm just working on the paint job for it now...making it look like the Avro Arrow eh...:D

bwerb:
I'm just working on the paint job for it now...making it look like the Avro Arrow eh...:D

I've been scanning the custom bike websites. I figure a gas tank graphics wrap'll work on my Gavin.

I'm signing up for the new Discovery Channel program "Pimp my Scooter".

In the last episode they gold plated the rotor guards...it looked so cool. They chromed the rotor. New carbon fibre body accents. They also installed a kickin' sound system...they turned the long body tube into a bass cannon by installing a rear facing 10" sub just behind the nosecone. They also had a flip up Playstation screen for use during deco stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom