If they only made it. I would buy it....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with CheddarChick. I want a Goodman handle that isn't ginormous, and a reel handle proportioned for MY hands. I want dry glove rings that aren't 5 1/2 inches in diameter. I want drysuit undergarments that, if they're small enough in height, aren't also sized for a teenaged boy's hips. I want boots as nice as the White's Evos, but built on a women's last and in women's sizes.

That's all I want . . . :)

Reactions: Jax
How about an underwater video camera that is the size of a 2D cell flashlight.

I want a pair of OMS Slipstreams in size L.

I want a pill that lets me stay down as long as I want with out the need for decompression or fear of the bends.

Small (up to canister size) inertial navigation system with a drift of less than 10meters / hour.

Would be great for navigation in low vis. Nowadays the components are all available at reasonable prices. I keep meaning to try to build one but I never seem to have the time available.

Mike and Nemrod, what is an inertial nav system? How does it work?

Small (up to canister size) inertial navigation system with a drift of less than 10meters / hour.

Would be great for navigation in low vis. Nowadays the components are all available at reasonable prices. I keep meaning to try to build one but I never seem to have the time available.

Just add math: SparkFun Electronics - IMU 6 Degrees of Freedom - v2 with ADXRS401

I like that idea for diving, and am toying with IMUs for some of my robotics projects (my other nerd hobby), though I will have to say that I completely agree with you regarding never finding enough spare time.... If only I could get a job designing cool scuba gear...

Simcoe, an Inertial Nav system is a device that senses changes in your speed, direction, etc, and makes an educated guess on where you are based on those sensed changes.. So a dead reckoning system, like counting your steps if you were walking in the dark.
Inertial navigation system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The issue is sometimes that they have "made it" but they won't let you "buy it".

When the bulky Unisuit came out in the 1960s, the problem of sizing fins to accommodate the boots arose. The response by Cressi was to manufacture full-foot fins, the fins of choice at the time, with big enough foot pockets, in sizes of EU 52 and above. By discontinuing these fins, a useful choice between open-heel and full-foot fins was eliminated, particularly for divers with larger feet.

Diving gear manufacturers often showcase their products on the Web, but won't sell them to individual consumers in countries where they have no distributors. As someone who is keen on collecting and using snorkelling gear as it was once made, I have located items, common in their day but now almost unobtainable anywhere in the world, such as yellow or green rubber-skirted diving masks on manufacturers' websites, but the firms simply ignore letters and emails pleading to be able to purchase one sample rather than a "minimum order" of 500 or more. It's so frustrating that I can order one foreign-language book, not an entire library, through a bookseller and eventually receive it from its original publisher but cannot do the same, through a dive store, in the case of a piece of diving equipment.

So my plea is for the creaky, old system of manufacturers only doing business with wholesalers and distributors, if they exist in one's own country, to be rendered more flexible so that individuals can purchase direct from the manufacturer if there is no alternative. I've managed to circumnavigate the system occasionally by finding a middleman, often by accident, but it remains a risky, frustrating, time-consuming process that only works through persistence and sometimes not even then.

an apple ipod that works underwater while i can sit and wait at my 5 mins safety stop

Back
Top Bottom