If they only made it. I would buy it....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A homing device that will let you know exactly where your boat or shore entry point is. Leave a transmitter behind and carry a small receiver with a compass-like needle that points in the direction of the boat/shore and that also tells you the distance to the boat/shore. An underwater GPS would do the trick, but this would be even more foolproof.

My navigation is getting better, but I still occasionally end up doing a longish surface swim of shame...

A series of 6" diameter HP tanks. 20" long would be about 56CF, 22" long 63CF, 24" long 70CF, 26" long 76CF, 28" long 83CF. Would make great doubles or triples with less bulk than double 7.25" or 8" tanks.

A camera on the back of my tank to keep track of my dive buddy behind me with a heads up display in my mask.

Sonar like whales and dolphins

electromagnetic sensors like sharks.

An inexpensive water activated timer.

I want a plasma screen tv inside an Iklite camera housing in my shower so I can review my dive photos of the day and rinse off the salt water at the same time.

Boots and fins available in WIDE foot sizes!

I've done this with my Blackberry. There is a beautiful, simple program for Blackberries called BBTracker that logs the GPS chip output every 5 seconds and stores it into file.
One of the program utilities exports the raw file into a KML file for import into Google Earth.

My Blackberry fits exactly into one of those small waterproof document/key carriers with a snap fastener and floats nicely at the surface. I just wouldn't do it with any intense boat traffic around but if you do hear a boat it's no problem to pull the line and the plastic box down until it passes.

You could do this then attach the box to your dive flag.

An extension cord for my DPV so when the battery dies I don't have to swim it in to shore. Seriously we need better batteries smaller longer lasting, maybe using the same technology that is used in led lights.

Will the Dolphin fin change diving like the snow board changed skiing?

Dolphin Monofin Will Make Michael Phelps Eat Your Wake The UberReview

If you ever imagined what it must be like to swim like a fish, you may just get your chance. Engineer Ted Ciamillo has come up with a carbon fiber and fiberglass monofin, allowing a swimmer power through the water at 8 mph, twice the speed of Michael Phelps.

A homing device that will let you know exactly where your boat or shore entry point is. Leave a transmitter behind and carry a small receiver with a compass-like needle that points in the direction of the boat/shore and that also tells you the distance to the boat/shore. An underwater GPS would do the trick, but this would be even more foolproof.

My navigation is getting better, but I still occasionally end up doing a longish surface swim of shame...
The Uwatec Neverlost was voted innovation of the year in 2000, and subsequently flopped for lack of interest. Here's a review I googled:

Diver Tests March 2000

Finding your way back from whence you came can be quite an important aspect of a dive. The Uwatec Neverlost, which has just been voted Innovation of the Year by Diver readers clearly impressed by the concept, promises to make this easy. It comprises a beacon or "boat unit" and a "diver unit", and works by ultrasound.
Such a system could be of particular help to wreck divers who prefer to get back to their shotlines before making an ascent, or night divers who would like to be sure of locating their point of entry, whether it be a moored boat or shore access.
The beacon emits a signal on one of four pre-chosen frequencies and the diver unit registers the strength, giving both direction and distance. You can scan for other units which might be in use on a site before choosing which frequency to use.
An LCD on the diver unit indicates whether it is being pointed at the beacon and the number of bars on the display gives a progressive indication of signal strength. Pressing the control button on the unit translates this into an approximate distance. There are two range settings, switchable during the dive.
The Neverlost diver unit is said to be able to pick up the ultra-sonic signal of the beacon from as far as 300m, so it should suit most wreck dives. I tried it successfully over more than 150m. However, it works by line of sight, so make sure to attach the beacon so that it cannot be obscured by solid objects.
Part of the art of using ultrasonics is knowing where to deploy the beacon. I found that it worked best on a line between 5 and 7m from the surface. That way its signal did not reflect intermittently from the broken underside of the surface, yet the unit was high enough to "see" me above the topography of the sea bottom. Don't expect simply to chuck it in and then find it later!
Up to 30 receivers will work from one beacon, and the UK distributors hope that dive clubs will buy one so that each member can then buy a locator. Otherwise its obvious market is the liveaboard or day dive boat. The manufacturer would clearly like to see boat-based dive operators worldwide buying beacons and supplying dive units to their customers. That, however, would represent quite a substantial investment.
Both units are big, solid pieces of equipment, each around the size of a good diver's light. Don't confuse them with those cheap sonic devices available from the Far East. My companions on a Red Sea night dive last year will remember me climbing back into the boat suffering from severe sense-of-humour failure when I lost such a cheap beacon. Luckily it had a little tell-tale red light that enabled the crew to spot it from the RIB in the dark later, so I was able to dive back down and get it. In the event the distributor of that one decided not to import it.
After using the Neverlost for a while you get to be able to distinguish between direct readings from the beacon and those that have been reflected from other surfaces such as nearby coral reefs or rocks. I reckon it would be less help if one was in a hurry (low on air, for example) but if you took your time it would probably get you safely home.
One diver decided to stick with me because he knew I was unlikely to get lost. However, when he stopped to take a photograph I disappeared from his view, and he had to resurface several times before getting safely back to the swim platform. I had no such problems!
Provided that you find yourself in the right circumstances, with no other surfaces off which the ultrasonics can reflect, the Neverlost works well. But be on the safe side and use a compass too.
A pair of Neverlost boat and diver units costs Ž£595 and additional diver units cost Ž£300 each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom