If you are not using Any Photo Shop...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Now I shoot and share for fun, not National Geographic. I know I should recycle my old DC500s, but I have fun, share slide shows with non-diving friends, etc. It can seem like I spend more time fixing the pics than on the dives, but my dive buddy just doesn't get into computers much. Our new agreement is...
Just hand me the card so I can download the pics so he won't lose anymore;

I'll run them thru auto fix for him; and

He can go thru them and tweak them if he likes, or not if he doesn't for a couple of weeks;

Then load them to PhotoWorks: Log in to PhotoWorks so he can where he can send invitations to see his slide show to his friends & family. They've usually seen mine already by that time. :eyebrow:

On the first dive of our last trip, he failed to ensure that the flash link was on right and shot several pics with the camera set on External - which is really very minimal flashing, and they came out pretty black. We started to dump those, but I ran them thru the free IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide program first to see what would happen, and we were amazed! I did tweak these a little to beef up what we found, but still - they would have been worth saving and showing to his sainted mom even if I hadn't.

Open the first one - then advance thru the pairs for before & after comparisons...

IMG_0002.JPG . 8-22-02.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG . 8-22-03.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG . 8-22-04.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG . 8-22-08.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG . 8-22-09.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG . 8-22-10.JPG
We actually cropped for a closer look at the turtle on that last one.

IMG_0011.JPG . 8-22-11.JPG

I hope I got those pairs loaded right, for before and after viewing. Those are reduced resolution copies of course, so I can attach them here. Facebook allows a 5 Mb pic size and Photoworks allows 7 Mb loading so we load onto those sites in higher res.

Now Irfanview is not as simple to use as some other auto fix programs; there is certainly a learning curve! They do offer a tutorial I think, and it is probably a good idea to study it - eh, maybe I will sometime. :idk:

If you just want to try it on some downloads, I really like how it handles darker pics - something I discovered editing some Carlsbad Cavern pics that also works well on sea shots I think. Download the free program and try this test on some underwater downloads....

1: Open the first pic in Irfanview.

2: Use Shift+W to set Display Options on Fit Images to Window so you can see what you have.

3: Use Shift+U to auto enhance the pic and see what you think?

4: Use Ctrl+S to save the pic to the same folder, but add the letter b after the name so you won't overwrite the original...!

5: Then go back thru several on Preview or whatever you usual pic viewing system offer to compare befores and afters.

Now there are a few hundred other things you can do with the program as you grow into it. I use it to resize all pics over 7 Mb to less than that before loading onto PWs, then all over 5 Mb before loading onto FB. When I am feeling brave, I use Shift+G to open manual color corrections where I can brighten, increase any of the 3 basic colors, etc. You can add text to a pic, look at the Exif info, and so on.

See what you think...?? :crafty:

Oh here is the slide show from my dive pics last month: Cozumel August 2010 Select Full-Size, then Play, and speed up, slow down, pause when you want.

Checked out your slide show, some nice stuff in there, PhotoWorks looks like a really good way of sharing your pics with friends, always used Msn photo show, but the format is a bit small and to compressed, definitely thinking about trying your suggestion, thanks again.

Yeah, I like the slideshow available with Photoworks, or one can scan the thumbs and select pics. They try to sell hard copies of course, and you may want to restrict downloads. It's an appealing free service for sharing with friends tho...

Thanks for the heads-up, Don. Incidentally, quite a few of your shots are almost identical to pics I took over the last couple of years down in Aruba, snorkeldiving. In case you care to take a look, my stuff is in the member gallery.

Thanks for the heads-up, Don. Incidentally, quite a few of your shots are almost identical to pics I took over the last couple of years down in Aruba, snorkeldiving. In case you care to take a look, my stuff is in the member gallery.
Very nice shots, and the SB Gallery slideshow is ok but the pics don't line up right. Have to scroll on each one. Your pics are linked from your posts, by the way.

I thot the Gallery would tell me which camera you were using? Didn't. Did you use a photoshop or not need to?

Glad you liked the pics, cam is a reefmaster mini, WAL, int. flash, everything shot in sea mode w/flash and, for the most part EV -1 to keep exposure times down. I'm using Ulead explorer 8.0, works pretty well for me, was considering Cs3 a while ago, but a friend, who does pro-work, told me, that it's not a very intuitive program, so I decided against it.
Good thing you told me about the link, never used it, and it does suck that the pics don't line up,
can't somebody fix that??

Good shooting. Lighting is a little more challenging 100 ft deeper, but I was amazed at how well Irfanview brought out the dark pics. Overflashed pics are usually just ruined, altho one can slide the Blue, Red, Green scales some.

Most of my originals are underexposed, much easier to deal with than blow-outs. The stuff taken below 20ft I don't post. Since I'm planning on diving some of the wrecks down in Aruba on future trips, I'll probably upgrade my equipment, trying to decide between the DC1000 and 1200, any advice? Dread having to learn a new cam, know the adj. on the reefmaster blind, but I think , it'll be worth it in the long run. It's going to be nice to get colors other than blue at 40-50ft, hope that one ext. flash is going to do the trick, freediving, you don't really want to lug around too much gear.

I downloaded Irfanview the other day. You're right. The auto-adjust works pretty nice. Even was able to save some of my wash outs from a very low vis dive. Thanks for the heads up.

I downloaded Irfanview the other day. You're right. The auto-adjust works pretty nice. Even was able to save some of my wash outs from a very low vis dive. Thanks for the heads up.
Could you make reduced resolution copies of original and after to attach...???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom