If you could dive anywhere next (early) summer...where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segal3

Reaction score
Was thinking about Lembeh Straits, but parents don't think that's such a good idea given the current condition of general unrest in Indonesia...so Indonesia and Philippines are out (no big deal, maybe another time)...

So, if you could go anywhere in the world...where would you go for a week to two on either land-based or liveaboard diving? Did PNG (Kimbe) last summer, doing T&C this December, and possibly Maldives in December 2005.

I'm in California btw...just to give an idea of travelling and whatnot...

Would really love a place with a plethora of macro subjects...I enjoy the wide-angle opportunities too, just not quite as much

Thanks for any help.

~Matt Segal

Actually, I can dive anywhere and that's why we are headed to PNG next summer. The rumor is that it is about as good as it gets........we'll see :>)

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

caymaniac:
we are headed to PNG next summer. The rumor is that it is about as good as it gets

Which bay and with who?

~Matt Segal

Indonesia is considered to be the best diving period, by most, Raja Ampats has the greatest marine bio diversity. I have made several trips to Indo. most recently last month. Either try the Raja Ampats or Komodo/Rinca of Indonesia for the best diving in the world. I have dove there with some VERY experienced divers, they ALL agree with the quality of diving, it just doesn't get much better. PNG, Solomon's, Fiji are all great spots. Indonesia's supposed to be better. As far as the political climate goes it's not what some people think. Perfectly safe, no problems at all. I went there shortly after 9/11 and was very well received. Bali is quite a bit different from the rest of Indo.
I would strongly reccomend a liveaboard though. Must do Cannibal Rock probably the best dive site I've been on. Manta Alley in Sumbawa beat Yap by a long shot-M

MY WISH LIST:

1) ANDREA DORIA
2) BIKINI ATOLL - USS SARATOGA
3) Pikkininni Ponds - South Australia

That's it

Flower Garden Banks. Most pristine coral reefs in the Caribbean, but a pain in the butt to get out to. I've had three trips cancel due to poor weather.

segal3:
Which bay and with who?

~Matt Segal

Star Dancer will be our first stop, and after that we will be staying at Walindi for 3 nights to check out some hikes as well as diving. Hence, the diving will be in Kimbe Bay from the Witu's and Fathers reef. There are a number of good choices to dive in PNG - Kavieng, Milne Bay, Rabul and this combo looked good. We are using Trip-N-Tour for most of our arrangements. We have pre-dive plans in Australia and post dive in Hawaii, although we are thinking we would like to dive on Oahu since we have already dove on Hawaii (the big island) and on Maui.

All the best,
Caymaniac

If I could go anywhere it'd be Truk Lagoon but I'll be back on Maui and loving every minute of it.

Those Cenotes sound interesting as well.

galapagos. in the summer you'll see numerous whale sharks and masses of hammers and galapagos sharks not to mention fascinating life on land. of course, if you prefer color and smaller things i would also go for the raja ampats or komodo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom