If you were buying a new drysuit today, which one would you buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have over 300 dives on my DUI CF200, looks the same as it did when it was new, easy to get in and out, fit well off the rack, DUI service is first rate, but it is heavy and slow drying, I wouldn't try taveling with it, my friends had diving concepts, all have been sold off, material was too stiff and hard to get in and out even with custom fit, I think I will go with TLS 350 next time.

5 pages and nobody has mentioned Poseidon. Not exactly easy to find, but in the Northeast (New Jersey, yes?) you should be able to find a few dealers - and a few believers in Poseidon products. I have a Jetsuit, 5mm neoprene, with latex wrists that keeps me bone dry and warm as I could possibly want. Around 40 degrees, I've dove it with nothing but Under Armour under it and have been perfectly comfortable. Colder, I can still wear it comfortably over an Exotherm II 'bunny suit'. Plus, the XL Jetsuit is the absolute best fit I've found for tall skinny guys like me (6'2" and about 180). The suit itself is absolutely bulletproof. Built like a tank. Really don't need much extra lead. Switching from a two piece 7mm I dropped over 5lbs, and I'm still a touch heavy.

Downsides: Heavy. Can be hard to find, and not as inexpensive as some suits (you're looking at at least $1300-1400). Takes a while to dry. Especially if you have to wash the inside (yeah, don't drink and dive and piss in your drysuit). Not self donning unless you're flexibe or creative. Or just run a piece of small stuff through the zipper pull. Not exactly a big problem. Stock inflator valve has a funny sized nipple, not same size as standard inflator hose. And they all come with neoprene necks and wrists from the factory.

A few folks have mentioned Bare here and I second (or fourth) them. I love my XCD2 Tech drysuit, and I did a LOT of reading here before buying. The compressed neoprene is bulletproof, warm, and flexible. Bare has a ton of stock sizing options so it is easy to get a great fit without going the custom route. The attached booties are the way to go (two less potential leak spots) and I have had zero leaks with the latex neck and wrist seals. It is on the heavy side, so not the greatest travel suit, but the reduced bouyancy (less lead needed) makes up for it in my opinion. I got the full monty (suit, attached boots, undergarments, gloves, hood) for $1200 a year ago, and you might be able to do better in today's economy.

If I had the money....I'd look at a lightweight trilam or maybe even a nylon shell suit for travel, but not today.

Started diving in NJ in 1975 (Sea Isle, Stone Harbor and Barnagant Light ect.) I used several poseidon unisuits (7mm neoprene) neoprene suits are great, with proper undergarment will keep you warm in the North Pole. However, there are other considerations: 1. multiple dives the suit never really drys out. 2. most of the time I used light undergarments, worked well down to 40 degree water. OK for the dive, but the neoprene suit is not comfortable enough to wear for a couple of hours on the boat....rather cold using light undergarments after the suit was removed.

I have been using a DUI 350 with custom knee pads, pocket and knife pocket with dive concepts thinsulate undergarments. Just got back from a Channel Island liveaboard (53 degree water). Really liked the suit and hanging around in the undergarment was warm and comfortable. Another suit that folks seem to like was the Typhoon. Appeared to be really well made. For NJ wreck diving the crushed neoprene would be my choice, tough and wear resistant. Not much good having a suit that will leak after getting caught on a piece of jagged metal. Can't go wrong w/ DUI and they have great customer service.

Richard
NAUI INstructor

I dove Unisuits (neoprene) for 30 years, will keep you warm in very cold water. Also offers some protection should you flood the suit. A couple of years ago I got a DUI TLS 350 suit and would never go back to neoprene. Using diving concepts thinsulate undergarments, the combination offers flexability the unisuit never did. If you plan on traveling, the tri-lam suits will pack much smaller than neoprene. The closed cell compression issues, that the neoprene suit has are non exhistant w/ a shell suit. One of the biggest problems w/ neoprene suits is in between dives, it's too heavy to keep on, esp. if it doesn't have suspenders. The suit never really drys out, an issue on a multi day trip. If you are wearing mimial undergarments you can get very cold getting in/out of the suit. The shell suit w/ a decent undergarmet keeps you warm if you remove the top and keep the bottom up w/ the suspenders or take the suit off completely. I just got back from a multi-day dive trip to CA. I would wake up, put the undergarment on, and keep it on for the day. I never got cold in 45 degree air / 55 water. Having looked at several suits I would look at DUI suits....if you are going to do alot of NJ wreck diving go w/ the CLX suit (offers great durability) if you do not plan on penetration or digging for the always illusive lobster, get a TLS. While other companies offer good products, the customer service at DUI is outstanding. While they will only sell through their dealers, they will do mods (additional pockets, knife pouches, seal replacement ect...) directly to you. As for price, I would look at their WEB site under used. Suits that were demo, slightly used ect. are offered at discounts (you figure which suit you want, give the suit # to your DUI dealer and he places the order). Diving Concepts has really good, 4 way stretch undergarmets, cheaper than DUI, as well as a great dry glove system. Hope this helps...
Richard
NAUI Instructor

Seems like everyone's mentioning suits without regard to price. Two of the better "entry level" suits (for those on a tight budget) are the BARE nex-gen pro and the Pinnacle Freedom. Both are nice suits for the price, especially when you find a good deal. Dive Right in Scuba has an awesome sale on the Pinnacle suit right now ($575 with hood):

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?ref=5&products_id=1748

Last edited:
I would go with a Bare CD4 pro suit or O'Neill 7000X 3mm comp. neoprene suit.
I have the Bare suit with latex wrist seals, neoprene neck seal, and attached boots. I have used my brothers O'neill with neoprene wrist seals, neck seal, and socks. Both are rear entry. The O'Neill is made to fit snugger to the body more like a wetsuit fit. Both are used up here in the cold water of the Great Lakes with only 200g underwear.

I dive Jersey year around and I use a Northern Diver Cortex. Front zip. The thing is bomb proof. Indestructable !! And the price was just right !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom