ignorance almost killed me yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle,
Since your blood sugar was high but within safe ranges, I believe you can rule out diabetes as an etiology. The neck seal is a good differential Dx that must be ruled out. I would recommend seeing the neurologist and also ruling out the blood problem you mentioned briefly. As you know, this is not specific medical advise but educational information. Why don't you post this on the medical board.
Lloyd

ibnygator once bubbled...
How tight is just right on a latex neck seal and not too tight or too loose? :confused: I just bought a dry suit and have not yet started my class. I've tried the suit on and the seal is tight, but I didn't think it was too tight. Should I sit around the house in the suit for a while and see if I pass out? (joke - don't take this last sentence too seriously))
This isn't scientific at all and purely empirical, but whenever I have worn a drysuit with a neck seal that was too tight my veins in my forehead have popped out, face has turned red (hands too if wrist seals aren't trimmed), felt uncomfortable/gagged and had to reach up after a while and pull the seal away from my neck, and had a monster headache afterward.

just out of cusiosity are you studying to be a health professional?and ber thanks for the message ..it was nice to hear from you..and walter thanks for pointing out that sodium chloride is salt..

Hey Snuggle, care to post some pics of what they did to your poor suit?

I was thinking of sodium hypochlorite -- oops.
Things must be pretty entertaining at your house around dinnertime.:eek:ut:
How tight is just right on a latex neck seal ...
Needs to be loose enough to be comfy enough to wear 10-12 hours.

Bob3 once bubbled...
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How tight is just right on a latex neck seal ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needs to be loose enough to be comfy enough to wear 10-12 hours.

I'll assume that this answer is tongue in cheek. I may spend a 12 hour day doing repetitive dives, but I'm not going to wear the damn thing all day. :hehe:

snuggle once bubbled...
its called by the way carotid sinus reflex.

...Thanks for the illuminating story and the reminder of the cost of procrastination - mine! Trimmed my neck seal this weekend. Procrastination can be a dangerous thing. Glad you made it to dive another day as a wiser, better informed diver....

All these issues: tight neck seal, diabetes, inexperience with a dry suit.

Can we all learn the real lesson here? Diving alone is a bad idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom