ignorance almost killed me yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes..you are right about not diving alone..but i want to say this to you if you havent already heard the diabetes had nothing to do with it..so lets leave the diabetes out of it..thank you..it would be diferent if i was on insulin but i am not..

snuggle once bubbled...
diabetes had nothing to do with it..so lets leave the diabetes out of it
I'm not so sure about that... but since you want to leave it out of the equation... OK (actually that confirms part of what I am thinking.)

BTW... I think there is still more to the story that perhaps you aren't even aware of Snuggle. At any rate I'm glad you are OK

Well, Mr. Mike S is obviously very oppinionated about the merrits of buddy diving and that Solo divers are stupid. You might want to check out this web site with a search for "solo " diving, and you might actually get an education .

Being an Aeronautical Engineer, I have learnt a simple fact in life that there is no one perfect design, and each case is different.

If you are opne minded enough to open your eyes, you might see that Solo also has more risks in one sense, but less in another. Again, there is no perfect design, and Buddy diving has dangers and risks as well. Most very experienced divers find it safer diving solo than with dive master assigned buddies. ( god knows, I have had my share of them )

(Direct quote through IM from Trollman MikeS )

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
caveman once bubbled...
Well, Mr. Mike S is obviously very oppinionated about the merrits of buddy diving and that Solo divers are stupid.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you suggest, I am opinionated about buddy diving. I’ve had the misfortune of seeing what can result from diving without a buddy. I was on a dive that included my diving mentor at the time. He signaled the rest of the group to buddy up and went off solo, which was the last time anyone saw him alive. He was very experienced, in fact a TDI solo instructor. While there were other contributing factors to his accident, he was diving a rebreather and in extremely low visibility, it cannot be argued that diving solo greatly contributed to his death.

I’ve observed the impact of his accident on the other divers in the group, the rescue squad, the quarry operator, and most profoundly his family. So based on personal experience, while I don’t think that solo divers are necessarily stupid, I think they either haven’t thought things through very well or are selfish for taking an unnecessary personal risk that can so dramatically effect others.

Based on your grammar and context, if you are an aeronautical engineer, I’m the Pope. I think you’re simply a knuckleheaded troll.

Mike

Well, I guess that make you the Pope ( Poop ) your Holiness. Ignorance must be bliss , and I will leave you in your fantasy world about the merrits of Buddy diving. You would of been a good candidate under Stalin, you would of taken communism hook line and sinker, no questions asked, just like you swallow PADI's view on diving.

Re-breathers, well, sorry, I would never toush them at this point in time and my question was the fatality caused by solo diving, or the rebreather ?

Although the Pope maybe divinely inclined, you might want to do MBTF calculations. The law of sod still rule, the more complex a unit is, the more probability that some thing will go wrong. Re-breathers are.......well, your the pope, figure it out.

caveman once bubbled...
(
Although the Pope maybe divinely inclined, you might want to do MBTF calculations. The law of sod still rule, the more complex a unit is, the more probability that some thing will go wrong. Re-breathers are.......well, your the pope, figure it out.

Isn't that MTBF? "Mean time between failures"?

Rebreathers were here before open circuit.

Want we are after in scuba is simplified procedures (especially for emergencies). That doesn't always mean a simpler system. I like redundancy. Seems NASA does also. The most important peice of gear we have in the water is our brain. Seems two would be better sometimes.

BTW, A DM assigned buddy who can't dive well doesn't count as a buddy. Don't go that rout unless your getting paid for it.

:)

just testing.........yeh, your right about the spelling . There have been many discussions on this forum on solo and buddy diving. My point was that both have their strengths and weaknesses. It just seems that the one who are so gung ho about Buddy diving fail to recognize that the system is in theory safe, but practically there are dangers to it just as there are with Solo.

1. Get assgined a doubtfull buddy on a trip.
2. Buddy does not always follow you like a puppy dog
3. Will the buddy be to help you in time of need ?
4. etc.

Agreed, with a great buddy who is in Synch, there are positive advantages, but lets be honest, how many diver have you dont in % which you can claim your buddy was capable of helping you

A clear sign of not being in control of a situation is trying to humiliate others.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15819&highlight=solo+dive

Refer to a recent poll on this forum, it looks like your in a clear minority. ( 20% ). Guess that makes the 45% ( solo-ers) all trolls !

Sorry Mike that you feel that bitter. If you loose control of a situation that easily, maybe it is better you do buddy dive !:D

sorry for the happening, go the a pub near the lake and offer a beer to the 1st fisherman you meet and tell him this story!!

ignorance almost kills me daily :wink:

ciao, Marco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom