Ignorant DIR Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe rock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys and girls. Obviously I don't dive DIR. I am intrigued by the dedication to skill development, but not crazy about the insistance in gear configuration. I view myself as a recreational diver. I have no desire to go very deep (100' - 130' is plenty deep and there better be something down there I want to see), no deco, no cave, no wreck penetration. I understand the rational for the consistancy, but with a few exceptions, don't see the applicability for the type diving I do.

My question :10:. With all due respect, is there a "DIR light" class where you can learn the skills without the rigid equipment requirement? I know it can be learned in a non-DIR situation but finding a mentor is the tought part.

There's a course called Essentials of Recreational DIR taught by 5th Dimension. According to the course description, it appears to cover many of the basic skill taught in fundies. As far as equipment config, the website states that only the following are "required":

• 5 or 7 ft. Primary Regulator Hose
    without this you will not be able to learn and conduct air sharing correctly.
  • Fins: non-split variety
    without these you will be unable to learn proficient fin kick

joe rock:
My question :10:. With all due respect, is there a "DIR light" class where you can learn the skills without the rigid equipment requirement? I know it can be learned in a non-DIR situation but finding a mentor is the tought part.

What you seek can not be done. DIR is a holistic method. All or nothing, personally I will tollerate non DIR divers as long a they are working toward the gol. Sorry for being blunt, but that's just the way it is. I hope you find success with your endevors.

respectfully,

Al Bane

albane:
What you seek can not be done. DIR is a holistic method. All or nothing, personally I will tollerate non DIR divers as long a they are working toward the gol. Sorry for being blunt, but that's just the way it is. I hope you find success with your endevors.

respectfully,

Al Bane

Thanks for the blunt answer. No problem with your honesty, I appreciate it. And it helps to understand. The only question I have with what you've said is with the "I'll only tolerate non DIR divers..." part. Do you mean in pursuit of DIR goals or in diving in general?

I am unaware of a DIR light class but there is no reason you can't take DIR-F. You can rent or borrow a BP/wing, buy a 5ft hose and fins. That's what I did.
The DIR-F class is very good but like you I did not see that the enphesis on equipment was something I needed to add to my diving.
Rent or borrow the equipment, do the class, take what parts of the class that works for you, find some good dive buddies and dive. Wheather you go full DIR or take the parts you want, it's a worthwhile class.

herman:
I am unaware of a DIR light class but there is no reason you can't take DIR-F. You can rent or borrow a BP/wing, buy a 5ft hose and fins. That's what I did.
The DIR-F class is very good but like you I did not see that the enphesis on equipment was something I needed to add to my diving.
Rent or borrow the equipment, do the class, take what parts of the class that works for you, find some good dive buddies and dive. Wheather you go full DIR or take the parts you want, it's a worthwhile class.

Thanks Herman. Makes sense to me.

JR

NAUI also offers a class in skills development, but has many of the same equipment requirements.

I'm doing my DIR-F in Jan, and bought all my gear, but they do rent out everthing you need for the course. maybe where you're at, they've got that option too?

Thanks all. Seems the best option for me might be to borrow the BP/W and take the DIR-F course and make some decisions from there. Again, thanks for your replies.

JR

joe rock:
Hi guys and girls. Obviously I don't dive DIR. I am intrigued by the dedication to skill development, but not crazy about the insistance in gear configuration. I view myself as a recreational diver. I have no desire to go very deep (100' - 130' is plenty deep and there better be something down there I want to see), no deco, no cave, no wreck penetration. I understand the rational for the consistancy, but with a few exceptions, don't see the applicability for the type diving I do.

You are probably right that the full DIR system may be too much for rec diving only, but the idea is to have the right platform so that when you advance into more technical diving you'll already have the right skills and gear and don't have to relearn things or change things more than absolutely necessary.

And by the way, there have been lots of people in the past who had no plans to get into tech/cave diving, but after diving enough that's what happened anyway.

As others have said, just rent/borrow the gear and take DIRF. Take from it what you like and leave what's not suitable for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom