Ignore/Invisible Option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry chilly,
I had no intent to engage in trolling. I was agreeing with him in regards to the issue of islam as the example. I was attempting to justify the concerns of other based on the sensitive nature of the example and dispell the attempt that it was pure discrimitory using social hot issues as an equivilant example to what he used. My appologies if that did not come across as clear as I hoped.

WTF? Your post is too confusing but even if it wasn't, it's troll like with its obvious intention of creating a disturbance.

Let me fix that for you: with a preconceived belief about the religious prejudices of others, you asked a silly, loaded question. You then misconstrued their responses, which were actually along the lines of 'Nobody cares what religious expression goes on in any religion's sub-forum, so long as it's within SB's ToS.'
Let me ask you then in the same spirit in which you have selected islamic form. What if it was a pedifile divers form. drug dealing divers forum, female mutilation divers divers for human trafficing forum equipment counterfitters furum as just a few examples. Would it not stand to reason that an increased degree of oversight of those areas would not be out of line given the history of or the agenda of said groups.

Wow. Dr. Lecter, do you still believe that I have a "preconceived belief about the religious prejudices of others"? Well, maybe I do, but maybe, just maybe, it's actually justified.

Not that this is really the matter of debate in this thread. But it serves well to demonstrate the point I was trying to make: why having publicly visibly religious subforums is a bad idea.

Not that this is really the matter of debate in this thread. But it serves well to demonstrate the point I was trying to make: why having publicly visibly religious subforums is a bad idea.

They're not "publicly visible," you have to click on it.

If I asked, I'm pretty sure NetDoc would happily make me a "SCUBA for Satanists" forum. That shouldn't upset anybody because nobody has to look at it unless they want to. (I'm Jewish, and don't believe in Satan, so I don't give a crap about it either).

Everybody has their favorite mythology or lack thereof. If it offends you, ignore it. I firmly believe that everybody's religion is mostly wrong, including mine. They're all screwed up in one way or another, to one degree or another, and nobody gets the right to dump on someone else's, so if reading about it makes you unhappy, don't read about it.

In fact, the two rules that governed FidoNet (the second oldest network-based messaging system ever created) are still applicable today:

1. Thou shalt not excessively annoy others.
  2. Thou shalt not be too easily annoyed.

flots.

Last edited:
They're not "publicly visible," you have to click on it.
No, the posts and threads show up in the "all new posts" search results. Unlike the threads from certain other forums that we have here, such as The Pub.

If I asked, I'm pretty sure NetDoc would happily make me a "SCUBA for Satanists" forum. That shouldn't upset anybody because nobody has to look at it unless they want to. (I'm Jewish, and don't believe in Satan, so I don't give a crap about it either).
Unfortunately I believe that you're wrong. I'd be willing to bet that it would indeed upset some people. And I believe that some of the responses seen in this thread indicate that my prediction would be correct.

Everybody has their favorite mythology or lack thereof. If it offends you, ignore it. I firmly believe that everybody's religion is mostly wrong, including mine. They're all screwed up in one way or another, to one degree or another, and nobody gets the right to dump on someone else's, so if reading about it makes you unhappy, don't read about it.
Oh I fully agree with that and I wish that everybody would feel the same way. But the truth is that unfortunately not everybody does. Me personally, I'm not offended by anyone's religion, but I find it irritating and annoying if religious posts show up in my news feeds, search results or other similar things, when I'm actually looking for absolutely non-religious material. Having a religion is like having a penis: it's fine to have one and even to be proud of it. But don't take it out and wave it around in front of my face. All I'm asking for is the capability to hide that kind of stuff from my view.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by OkByMe
I just kind of tripped over this eyeballing the post list and thought I would take a peek. As I read through this, the hair started to rise on the back of my neck. As I personally am not a believer, I don't have an axe to grind in that regard... However, there is a difference between your space and the "open" space. You get to control your space, not the other one. I firmly believe that people who travel trough life with blinders on know nothing about the trip. If there is something you see in the open space that you don't like, just stop looking. There is no justification for censorship. Most of us in these here United States take Constitutional directives which guarantee freedoms for thought, speech and actions very seriously. Only the liberal left feel they have to control the open space to avoid offending sensibilities and it is a constant battle to keep them minimized. One last thing - beware the pub, you just might get offended.

read it twice, still don't get the point you're trying to make

why should i stop looking? why is this kind of discussion going always one way? how about not showing me anything to look at?

It is exactly why you don't get the point is why you made the post. Really ??? you don't understand the principles of freedom to express and freedom to discriminate toward what you expose yourself to without infringing? All of what you object to is all around you. How easy life could be to just establish free speech zones like the federal clowns did in Nevada, which was as far as I'm concerned - a disturbing trend toward Constitutional violations. What if we were to zone Churches and political organizations with the titty bars, power plants and chemical plants so we could relocate them to areas that could be avoided. Don't stop there though, schools would be a contender - some people don't like children.. can't stand to be around them. How about some communities... there are groups and cultures that some find offensive or intolerable, relocation anyone?

This conversation will always be one way... at least with Americans. I suggest you look at the United States Constitutional Amendments. The first one deals with the very essence of what we are talking about. I'm not sure how Canada runs the show, but the majority of us kind of rely on the stability provided by the basis of Government and legal protections. I think that is a popular concept... Why else would the U.S. be one of the fat cats on the world stage?

Wow. Dr. Lecter, do you still believe that I have a "preconceived belief about the religious prejudices of others"? Well, maybe I do, but maybe, just maybe, it's actually justified.

:pat pat pat: Of course you think it is, bigots always do. KWS, on the other hand, seems to be digging himself deeper as fast as he can. Oy.

But it serves well to demonstrate the point I was trying to make: why having publicly visibly religious subforums is a bad idea.

Heckler's veto is never a valid point. Carry on.

ScubaBoard has lots of forums that usually come into existence at the request of a group that feels the need. The community as a whole benefits by segregating special interests out of the general community. Scroll through the lists and you will see a wide variety. On the other hand, too many such forums with little to no participation is not beneficial overall, so there is usually a desire to ensure reasonable activity. I had no idea until now that there was a Christian forum, but I am quite sure any similar group claiming a minimum level of participation would be treated the same.

An area in which religious issues are discussed in a no-holds-barred manner is the Pub. Debates such as theism v. Atheism take place from time to time, and those debates get lively. They are there to keep them out of the main community, which has no interest in those debates. The Pub's rules are also more than a little more relaxed than the other forums, so you don't have to be quite as reserved.

I think there should be a button to give me back the 8 minutes of my life I wasted reading this thread about how not to read a thread you don't want to read.

Geezuz... if the thread title doesn't tickle yer dongle, don't open it. If the thread title suggests that you might be offended by reading the contents, don't open it.

And save the righteous indignation for the Righteous Indignation threads. :p

I think there should be a button to give me back the 8 minutes of my life I wasted reading this thread about how not to read a thread you don't want to read.

Geezuz... if the thread title doesn't tickle yer dongle, don't open it. If the thread title suggests that you might be offended by reading the contents, don't open it.

And save the righteous indignation for the Righteous Indignation threads. :p

Don't forget, some folks seek out ways to be offended. Helps them feel superior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom