I'm looking for a way to protect my webbing from chlorine.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zach613

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have to use my BPW in chlorine very often and although I soak it thoroughly afterwards it still eventually turns brown. I am about to replace the webbing again (my wing is chemical resistant) and I was wondering if anyone knows of something I could treat my webbing with to protect it from chlorine? I'm not looking for a magic solution, just something that could help extend the life of my webbing.

Sadly, nope. It's not really the residual chlorine left that a rinse will remove its the actual exposure underwater. I've yet to hear of a solution other than ;
1) start with brown webbing
2) pick any other color and it will last just a bit longer.

I've mentioned before we swap our shop harnesses every year or so. It's a pain but far cheaper than replacing a complete conventional BCD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly, nope. It's not really the residual chlorine left that a rinse will remove its the actual exposure underwater. I've yet to hear of a solution other than ;
1) start with brown webbing
2) pick any other color and it will last just a bit longer.

I've mentioned before we swap our shop harnesses every year or so. It's a pain but far cheaper than replacing a complete conventional BCD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why don't you just stick with the brown webbing? ( I know, brown is not attractive)

I've never heard of anything that can keep webbing from turning brown due to repeated chlorine soaks. Of course, you should learn to love your worn brown webbing as it's taken as the sign of a well used rig and an experienced diver around these parts. :cool2:

sit tight boys, the scuba industry is going to be turned upside down in about 6 months or so. We are designing a webbing that is stronger than nylon, doesn't stretch, is inert to gasoline, chlorine *any acid or base actually*, jet fuel, and most anything else other than oil. UV is just as good as nylon, and it has better abrasion resistance. Will be coming out as a cordura alternative for wings as well.

I'm not sure which mfg I'm going to take it to first yet, but it will likely be Dive Rite. Be about double the cost of the current nylon products, so won't be for everyone, but it is going to be a game changer for anyone doing training in pools.

I will give you 100 dollars for 20 feet of it right now!

sit tight boys, the scuba industry is going to be turned upside down in about 6 months or so. We are designing a webbing that is stronger than nylon, doesn't stretch, is inert to gasoline, chlorine *any acid or base actually*, jet fuel, and most anything else other than oil. UV is just as good as nylon, and it has better abrasion resistance.

Webbing for scuba diving that's resistant to jet fuel!?! Thank goodness... I'll finally be able to sleep at night.

:d

I've never heard of anything that can keep webbing from turning brown due to repeated chlorine soaks…:

More specifically: …anything that can keep BLACK webbing from turning brown due to repeated chlorine soaks”.

I’m pretty sure that Chlorine will bleach white webbing white, which should make up for getting it dirty on the ocean dives.

I have to use my BPW in chlorine very often and although I soak it thoroughly afterwards it still eventually turns brown. I am about to replace the webbing again (my wing is chemical resistant) and I was wondering if anyone knows of something I could treat my webbing with to protect it from chlorine? I'm not looking for a magic solution, just something that could help extend the life of my webbing.

Enjoy it! I love getting on a boat with my bleached-in-the-pool BC.

It keeps the DM's from constantly "checking to see if my tank is on". :cool:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom