I'm ready to go retro, double hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aw crap, just bought another DA Aqua Master. This sh$t is addictive.

Well, have to run. Heading to Hawaii tomorrow for two weeks of diving. Cozumel early this coming spring and then (hopefully) GBR in Oz, next summer. Might add in a couple of ice dives when I get up to my home state of Wisconsin this winter and throw in a few spearfishing dives in the Gulf and a week or so in the Keys just to stay in shape in between. Cheers! :D

Nice life. TFB?

Nemrod is not a MEGAPOSTER as you define it. He just knows his stuff. HE may be a bit brash, but you will learn a lot from him if you try to listen. There are a lot of know it alls on this board for sure. MAny don't know their a#$ from a hole in the ground, but Nem knows!
If you want to really learn how to not be afraid of your 2 hose come join us all on vintagedoublehose.com. Bryan can get your 2 hose breathing properly and you can retrofit it with a ton of new silicone parts. My thoughts are that yours may not be breathing properly and may need a rebuild if you are afraid to dive it normally?

BlueSprings90708_0001.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A short film of me and robohips77 diving in a quarry with our 2 hose regs.....Sorry so short..I broke the camera I am so ugly....:dork2:

I do agree that as it was more of a general "new to the double hose arena" thread and that it made sense to keep it in the general scuba area where other non vintage scuba divers woudl find it. Which is frankly why I did not move it.

The more esoteric or specific vintage threads belong in the Sea hunt forum, but few divers read them there other than vintage divers. If it potentially has a wider appeal it should stay out front.

My own opinion and from my own experience the biggest problem is that just about every modern diver has the double hose regulator and tanks much too high on their backs. If you have the tank set so that you can touch the reg or valve like you would with a modern single hose, the reg is too high and will breath hard.

I still have to adjust my tanks all the time as I am just programmed to be able to shut down my valves without taking the tank(s) off. You also need to use a crotch strap to keep the tanks down where they need to be.

That said, the only thing keeping me from taking my double hoses bellow 130' or so is that the mouthpiece is just not all that stage deco friendly. Unless you clip the mouthpiece down tight it will tend to float up and freeflow.

I agree, when I set my single tank plate up for double hose diving, I mount the STA as low as possible on the plate, mount the tank low in the STA and loosen the harness straps slightly to let the plate slide down a bit farther on my back.

The other issue is that perfectly horizontal trim does not work well with a double hose, you want just a bit of head up angle in combination with the low mounted reg to put the can at about the same level as the mouth piece. That is the other factor that keeps me from taking it into more technical places.

That said, the only thing keeping me from taking my double hoses bellow 130' or so is that the mouthpiece is just not all that stage deco friendly. Unless you clip the mouthpiece down tight it will tend to float up and freeflow.

You can put it below your chin, but I also have an easy hardware solution for that. The simplest is a mouthpiece plug (a.k.a. poor man DSV) that I keep lanyard to my right shoulder strap. It plugs the mouthpiece and parks it an easy to access place. I hope to have some molded in the near future. But, you may get Dave in Connecticut to make you one.

I also have a very simple DSV design in mind that I hope to have some made also in the near future. More on that later. It is also in my "to do" list.

The other issue is that perfectly horizontal trim does not work well with a double hose, you want just a bit of head up angle in combination with the low mounted reg to put the can at about the same level as the mouth piece. That is the other factor that keeps me from taking it into more technical places.

I totally agree with that. What I tend to do is arch my back just slightly. By just arching just a bit, my legs tend to be horizontal and I can look forward better. I find it very comfortable, but I also never tend to stay on one position too long…heck some times I roll or even swim on my side just to look around better. I like to experience the sensation of flying through the water.

If you are perfectly horizontal your neck can only flex about 45 degrees up. You can test this by looking at the ceiling while standing straight. Your eyes have to roll for you to actually look straight up.

Added:

I am working on setting up some eclectic (the best of vintage and modern gear) tech rig. I think I have found a wing that I can attach directly to a set of doubles with no back plate. I like doubles with only a harness…I find them to be the most comfortable.

For the manifold, my favorite is the Sherwood (like Nemrod show regularly) with the center post and a second post on the left. The center post is ideal for a double hose. The manifold outlets are independent but their no tank isolation…I don’t see much advantage on modern isolation valves (the way they are designed).

I agree, when I set my single tank plate up for double hose diving, I mount the STA as low as possible on the plate, mount the tank low in the STA and loosen the harness straps slightly to let the plate slide down a bit farther on my back.

Any chance of seeing what that looks like? Your mention of a STA implies a wing and I'm trying to picture how they play together.

Pete

That is what I started out doing with my BP/wings but now I just set them to achieve horizontal trim as I would for any rig. Once horizontal the old high or low tank position issue seems to go away.

Instead of mounting the STA low I do the Nemrod Mod to my DiveRite STA which drops the upper band allowing plenty of room to lower the tank as low as you like if that is your game.

Nemrod Mod:

DSCF0269.jpg

Oxy Mach V 30 on Hammerhead plate:

DSCF0250.jpg

Oxy Mach V on Freedom Plate:

DSCF0213.jpg

Oxy Mach V 18 on Oxy ultra light plate:

DSCF0171.jpg

O ring D rings:

DSCF0169.jpg

Modified Sea Tec compared to Mach V:

DSCF0136-1.jpg

The new Oxy ultra light plate sets the tank as close to the back as is possible, as close even as a simple Sea Hunt harness. It requires no STA with the newer Oxy wings but a STA could be used if wanted. It allows for a wide range of tank position.

Yes, I am a mega poster and my intention is to be the number one poster but I will need to make about 6,000 more posts to catch up to DA and TsandM. :). So I gotta get cracking. I got yer lipstick right here.:rofl3:

Wings are the thing, that is if your going to use a BC. Could not imagine using anything else, well, now that I mention it, I have not. Been using a wing since the late 70s. Back plates and simple Hog one piece harness have always been retro, now they are modern, whatever people think.

82350209_o.jpg

Since rebreathers are DOUBLE HOSE shouldn't they be in the Sea Hunt forum?

N

Back
Top Bottom