Important gear for Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaoleDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm leaving for a week in Coz on Saturday, and I was wondering if there was anything that you guys had wished you had brought with you to Coz? Any little items that you kicked yourself for overlooking? Anything you wouldnt think about needing until you had been there?

HaoleDiver:
I'm leaving for a week in Coz on Saturday, and I was wondering if there was anything that you guys had wished you had brought with you to Coz? Any little items that you kicked yourself for overlooking? Anything you wouldnt think about needing until you had been there?
If you like wine, bring your own...

Dude, get some spare o-rings for your pressure gauge. I bought a box before going to Coz last year and sure enough, I blew one of the smallest rings that would have ended my dive. Fortunately, the DM changed it out for me and I got to see two dolphin on the dive (which is very rare for Coz).

Have fun.

HaoleDiver:
I would suggest an inflatable sausage style surface marker. Generaly the DM has one but a month ago on a trip he forgot his and used mine. Also if you are with an advanced group who are all similarly equiped the Dive Guide may not be too concerned about the group staying together as each buddy pair can surface and get picked up seperately.
Have fun
Gary

I wish I had taken my big floppy hat for protection from the sun as the fast boats usally don't offer much protection.

So glad I took a pair of closed heeled fins and left my open heeled fins at home. Plus having snorkel gear of your own for any non divers in your group will help avoid having to return gear before 5pm when most dive shops on the resorts close.

James Goddard:
If you like wine, bring your own...

I dunno about that; you probably won't wine you REALLY like if you are into rare vintages, but we've found wine on the island that's... well, OK if not great. There's not a lot of choices, but what's there is not too bad and gets the job done.

Now, if bourbon/sour mash whiskey is your thing, then that's something you'll have to import yourself. Oh, and for gin and tonic, all the tonic water we can seem to find on Coz is sweetened and makes a G&T taste a little funny, so we usually bring a couple of quarts of Schweppe's with us.

Safety sausage - check
Pepto and assorted meds - check
Good walking shoes - check
Sun protection - check
Alcohol - dont drink
O-rings - Need to get those

Anything else? is there a lot of trash in the water around there? should I bring a mesh bag to clean up with?

HaoleDiver:
Anything else? is there a lot of trash in the water around there? should I bring a mesh bag to clean up with?

Not really. There is a pretty respectable current through the channel between Cozumel and the Yucatan, and it sweeps things pretty clean. I find the occasional beer can, which I stick in my BC pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom