Improvised bungee mount for my Sol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Improvised bungee mount for the Galileo Sol

I used the ideas posted before on how to make a bungee mount for the Sol. My criteria were:

1. I did not want to alter the computer or my new strap, so I would not burn my bridges and be able to return to the way it was
2. redundancy, so if one bungee failed, or one pin slipped out the computer would not fall off

I removed the strap, and used a 5/32 automotive tubing to act as a spacer. Ran the bungee under the pins like the Zulu straps, and around the battery holder. The space between the battery holder and the computer offers a handy tying point. I tied a single sqaure knot. I kept the size of the tubing close to the strap size, so I had to compress the tubing to allow the bungee to pass. The effect was to offer friction with the bungee, so if the knot were to come undone the computer would not slip off.

To adjust the loops I undo the square knot, adjust the loops and redo the knot.
Adam

IMG_0100.jpgIMG_0097.jpgIMG_0098.jpgIMG_0099.jpg

Last edited:
Note that in my system a bungee lies between the computer and the wrist (just as the Zulu strap does as well). It does not seem to be a problem, but I did choose the smaller bungee because of this. I think it's 1/8" bungee I'm using for this. Also because I wanted to be able to adjust I used a square knot rather than overhand knots--which are hard to undo. If you use this take care to avoid the granny knot-- the standing part and ends should lie against each other.

One other detail: in this computer the pin is held by friction, unlike a regular watch pin. To remove the pin you push it out with a paperclip as the hole in the plastic is through and through. It's important to use a spacer to keep the bungee from shifting sideways, as this could slide the pin out and cause a failure.

Adam

Last edited:
My latest version of the Galileo Sol bungee mount uses two double hole cord locks that I picked up at JoAnne fabric store for $2.50.IMG_0638.jpgIMG_0632.jpgIMG_0637.jpg This is more secure than using the knot method, and the double hole stop prevents slippage. At the same time the cord locks allow adjustment of the bungee length, so you can adjust the tightness perfectly and allow for different suit thickness. I'm using a 4mm soft bungee I got on Ebay.

Adam

Last edited:
That is a good idea. I am still thinking about different ways of wrist-mounting my Luna after the strap broke.

That is a good idea. I am still thinking about different ways of wrist-mounting my Luna after the strap broke.

The Luna is the same form factor as the Sol, so the same method should work. I've already used this on several dives and it works well, and I've even used the same method with my Aquasketch wrist slate. I got the idea of using cord locks when I saw a guy who restores old double hose regulators use one on his computer in Cozumel, except he was using his as an addition to a regular wrist strap. The double hole of the cord lock keeps the bungee from slipping.

Dumb question, can i buy the bungee cords anywhere?

Anywhere I could buy it locally? I don't think ill have time to order it.

REI Outfitters if you have one there, hardware stores, sporting goods stores that are camping and outdoor activities oriented are good places to look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom