In front of a difficult question:

what setup would you recommend for a newbie?

• JS200 Saturn jacket BCD by IST

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • DUI Delta

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Halcyon BP with Pioneer wing

Votes: 32 94.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Tell him that if it's done right even color blind people can dive.
LOL! I'd been waiting two months for my Tekna knives to show up. I finally get an email that the vendor is no longer going to stock them so they can't get the blue ones, would the red ones that they had (always had) in stock be okay.

Doh! At 100ft they both look the same :D

Well I'm a fairly new diver myself, by no means anywhere close to the two divers in my club who have been doing this longer than I have been alive! (21 years), however I didnt see the point in getting standard gear if A) i wanted to go and do more and more technical diving as my experiance progresses, b) I will be wearing a drysuit the majority if the time (I have heard this config is great for dry suit diving, and its cold in english waters!) so I decided to go for the BP/Wings set up, and the people on this board have been more than helpful in assisting me with the right gear to purchase, and the right direction to take!

Good luck with your diving!

The one reason I'm looking for that Pioneer BP setup is because later on I can purchase doubles and simply put a bigger wing on to the BP. As I'm a student (and a very poor one) so the money supply is very limited, so I have this saying that "poor people don't have the cash to buy cheap stuff" wich means, that on a longer run the money spent on more durable and versatile equipment will pay off in terms of maintenance.

So I don't feel like spending 300 euros into a regular BC if I later on discover that I want doubles (then I would have to spend another 500 euros for the bp, wing and harness) but should I go for the BP straight ahead, I can do with only bigger wing, so the cost is much less than whole setup.

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded on this thread, this has been a great confidence booster for me, and yes, I'll "go for the gold": a pioneer BP wing setup (gotta think a moment for those longhoses tho :eek:ut: )

Thanks a lot everyone! you've been a GREAT help!

Suunto

You just answered your question, and very intelligently I might add. The pioneer is not tech as is sometimes misconstrued, just practicle.

Your thougt process is exactly correct, and I am sure you will love your Pioneer. Those of us who own them (and more than 1) love them.

Have fun

Personally when I get my regs this year I will be insisting on a longhose set-up regardless of what my LDS or whoever say and here is just one reason why...

My boyf and one of his buddies were diving a wreck at 30 metres. The buddy had gone into the hold to have a look round while my boyf stayed out keeping an eye on the situation but looking around himself at the same time (hold wasn't big enough for both to be in at the same time) While in the hold his buddies O-Ring blew and my boyfriend was forced to turn of his air to prevent damage to the regs, in the buddies words it took a scarily long time to get onto my buddies octo because the hose was too short to reach into the hold and there was no room for my boyf to drop in so buddy had to turn and come out with no functioning air supply. Arriving back after the trip they both added long hoses to their octo's and switched to Din fittings for their regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom