Indonesian Airline Excess Baggage Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is NO additional 23 kg fee baggage for sports and musical equipments anymore for Garuda Indonesia starting August 10th 2015. The free additional free baggage for sports equipments up to 23 kg will be discontinued. Garuda will refer to the previous 23kg free policy for ticket issued before August 10th 2015.

Just got that news from my local group.

Do check with your travel agents if you plan to fly with Garuda Indonesia after that date and carry excess baggage for scuba equipments.

There is NO additional 23 kg fee baggage for sports and musical equipments anymore for Garuda Indonesia starting August 10th 2015. The free additional free baggage for sports equipments up to 23 kg will be discontinued. Garuda will refer to the previous 23kg free policy for ticket issued before August 10th 2015.

Do check with your travel agents if you plan to fly with Garuda Indonesia after that date and carry excess baggage for scuba equipments.

Yes, this has clearly been detailed on the Garuda Indonesia website under the section entitled "Special Regulation" for months though...This is what I was trying to get at in my earlier posts. There is no longer any "additional" sporting equipment allowance, it has to come in under your standard baggage allowance. The wording on the website is terrible, but these new restrictions are still clear IMO.

That is correct. I booked my own ticket before the new rules came intio effect. But Garuda have increased their standard economy allowance from 23Kg to 30kg

That is correct. I booked my own ticket before the new rules came intio effect. But Garuda have increased their standard economy allowance from 23Kg to 30kg

It's 30kg only if your international flights are also on Garuda. If your Garuda tickets are domestic Indo only (i.e. your international flights are on another carrier), then it's actually only 20kg.

23kg was really great while it lasted. Hope my agent issued my tickets before Aug 10.

From Garuda

Attachments

• Garuda Indonesia New Policies.jpg
    Garuda Indonesia New Policies.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 120
Stinks....I'm in the process of booking on Garuda for next year

Does anyone know how strictly Garuda enforces the 7kg carry-on limit? I've seen other airlines with similar limits, but enforcement seems to vary widely.

In the last 15 years or so, I've only had Garuda weigh my carry-on once. So they do enforce it, but it seems to be random.

My experience with the carry-on weight limits in general is that you're best off travelling with only one carry-on piece (rather than having multiple small items) and making it one you can carry on your back. It reinforces a perception that it's lighter if they see you carrying it rather than wheeling it. I've gotten away with about ~20kg of carry-on this way while others on my flight with wheelie bags have been hit at the gate.

Back
Top Bottom