"Industry Standards (US)" What are they?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Part of my motivation for this thread was that I ran into a new "industry standard" a while back - at least that was the claim. I was told by a dive operator that I would not be able to bring my pony tank on the boat because it did not have a current VIS sticker. The tank was full (and in hydro - not that that should matter) and I had no expectation that the operator would fill the tank.

Anybody else ever run into this?

Edit: On the boat

Seems to me you were a risk he wasn't willing to manage any way other than to not let you bring your pony. His choice. You and your unmarked pony are still welcome with me.... :) Try to find a vis sticker on any cylinder I own....

Part of my motivation for this thread was that I ran into a new "industry standard" a while back - at least that was the claim. I was told by a dive operator that I would not be able to bring my pony tank on the boat because it did not have a current VIS sticker. The tank was full (and in hydro - not that that should matter) and I had no expectation that the operator would fill the tank.

Anybody else ever run into this?

Edit: On the boat

Never had that happen, was he checking everyone's tanks or just your pony? I have ran into other arbitrary rules before like the time an op wouldn't fill my tank with nitrox because my tank didn't have an o2 clean sticker, even though they were pimping banked 32%.

Never had that happen, was he checking everyone's tanks or just your pony? I have ran into other arbitrary rules before like the time an op wouldn't fill my tank with nitrox because my tank didn't have an o2 clean sticker, even though they were pimping banked 32%.

If no evidence of being O2 clean then it was not arbitrary ... industry standards, not to mention the CFRs were followed.

Awap, I would have told the charter that I while I understand it is your boat/ship and that as the captain you can make up any rule you want do not give my BS about the VIP being an industry standard for a scuba cylinder being on a charter boat. That said my pony is part of my dive kit, if you have such rules then you should disclose the rules in full before accepting my charter. At this point I see two options either I dive with you with my complete kit including my pony bottle. Or you decline my boarding and issue me a full refund.

But the bigger question is what did you do?

If no evidence of being O2 clean then it was not arbitrary ... industry standards, not to mention the CFRs were followed.

Which CFR? We are talking about banked, not partial pressure fills here. O2 clean for baked mixes under 40% is certainly debatable.

We played the nitrox label/O2 game with my HP100 also. Since I would need that filled, it had a current VIS. It ended when I started to load my gear back in my car. The op decided they could make an exception this time.

If it were a case of "my boat, my rules" and the reules were established in advance, I'd have no problem with that. I just would not book with them. But the late rules and "industry standard" claim did not sit well.

Try to find a vis sticker on any cylinder I own....

Or on the ones owned by that boat.....

In this case it really did start with an ignorant and/or inexperienced tank filler. There was also a problem with my tank in that it was not a "nitrox" tank. What's a nitrox tank, I asked? "One with a green cap", I was told by the filler. The boat lent me a green cap, turning my tank into a "nitrox" tank.

Whoo boy....

We played the nitrox label/O2 game with my HP100 also. Since I would need that filled, it had a current VIS. It ended when I started to load my gear back in my car. The op decided they could make an exception this time.

If it were a case of "my boat, my rules" and the reules were established in advance, I'd have no problem with that. I just would not book with them. But the late rules and "industry standard" claim did not sit well.

In my case I ended up telling them to top it off with air, I still ended up with 28 or 29% mix. Their compressor, their rules, but after that I found a much better dive op in the area and now prefer them.

Or on the ones owned by that boat.....

In this case it really did start with an ignorant and/or inexperienced tank filler. There was also a problem with my tank in that it was not a "nitrox" tank. What's a nitrox tank, I asked? "One with a green cap", I was told by the filler. The boat lent me a green cap, turning my tank into a "nitrox" tank.

Whoo boy....

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!! A green cap makes it Nitrox ready? Well, If you don't have a green cap, I use green flagging tape on the neck, but that's just to give the tank filler a clue that he just put the wrong gas in it..... :wink:

Here's a situation I've had that irritates me...

You come to a new op or shop and you start asking questions to try to get a feel for what "their" rules are. They then look at you like your retarded and say something like "Are you nitrox certified? You should already know that you can't...[insert some house rule]"

doh...

Which CFR? We are talking about banked, not partial pressure fills here. O2 clean for baked mixes under 40% is certainly debatable.

Does not matter whether the cylinder is filled with banked Nitrox or is PP filled to create nitrox. Any cylinder with an O2 content > 23.5% is required to be cleaned for oxygen service.

§ 171.7 49 CFR Ch. I
§ 171.7 Reference material.
(a) Matter incorporated by reference—

CGA Pamphlet G–4.1, Cleaning Equipment for Oxygen Service,

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title49-vol2/pdf/CFR-2010-title49-vol2-sec171-7.pdf

Also note the following:

The second column is presented for information only and may not be all inclusive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom