Inspection of failed Zoop come back as Normal!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you actually explored the Suunto RGBM algorithm? I have.

Unless you're doing sawtooth profiles or skipping safety stops (which the Suunto RGBM algorithm is claimed to punish you rather severely for and which isn't possible to check for with a desktop simulation tool), the Suunto RGBM algorithm isn't more conservative than the PADI RDP and noticeably more liberal for the 2nd dive than what the USN table or BSAC-88 is. In fact, for more deep-ish second dives it's actually slightly (but not particularly noticeably) more liberal than the PADI RDP. Source: several two-tank dives simulated with a Suunto RGBM simulation tool.

Don't just regurgitate hearsay, check the facts yourself.
When my dive buddy was still there she had a suunto. First dive her ndl was always longer than on my shearwater but consecutive dives the ndl was almost always shorter. #fact #reallifedata

When my dive buddy was still there she had a suunto. First dive her ndl was always longer than on my shearwater but consecutive dives the ndl was almost always shorter. #fact #reallifedata

RGBM Reduces its allowed Gradient by a coupe of fudge factors, including prior dive history.Base Haldane models just keep you off-gassing at the same rate you were on-gassing. I.e. (oversimplifying for clarity) you go on a 40-minute dive and on-gas for 40 minutes, do a 40-minute SI and off-gas for 40 minutes, your shearwater is going to count you clean as a whistle. RGBM: not so much, therefore it runs your next dive with more conservatism.

This is how it should work in theory, personally I find the #fact that #reallifedata supports it reassuring.

Gotta ask, what device were you using to know you're at 60-70' when your zoop said "100"?

The regulator I rented from the Dive shop comes with a dive computer, so I could constantly compare the depth reading of the two. Didn’t pay attention to the Brand though.

Instead of sending it in, see if the LDS has a pressure pot. Many of them do. if they do, you can test it, bend it, leave it at 100 feet for hours or days.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is LDS?

How you managed to use it on 4-6 dive (if dives were to 60-100ft?). If computer added another 40ft, your dives must be very short
I knew from the very first dive the depth reading is not right, so I didn’t rely on the watch at all. IMy dive buddy has a working dive watch. I wore the watch anyway just to confirm the reading was wrong. It was wrong for all the 4-6 dives! After that I stopped wearing the watch.[/QUOTE]

Because the Suunto facility says it's fine. The OP says it isn't. But the warranty facility says it is.

Who ya gonna call?
That’s exactly what I am trying to figure out! What am I suppose to do?
The regulator I used came with a dive computer, so I compared the readings for 4-6 dives. the Zoop was wrong all the time.

Suunto were known to have depth sensor failure, there is a law suit. And mine failed.
But, but, after the service center inspected and tested, told me it “behaved as expected”. How could it be?

To the OP. I used a Zoop once as a rental and it worked fine. I recently had my aqualung i300 show the wrong depth while at the surface. Sent it in and they said it was the depth sensor, nothing they could do but hey we will sell you an i300c at cost.

Currently I have a suunto tank pod in for warranty due to it showing pressure when it’s not pressurized. Green light still blinking and running the battery down. They received it February 21st. Still there and don’t know when it’s coming back. Little disappointed with warranty work from Suunto. Love their gear but as a buyer we shouldn’t have to wait a month or longer to get something back. Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Glenn
Thank you! Hope your luck is better than mime and your Suunto come back fixed. I will keep everyone here updated.

RGBM Reduces its allowed Gradient by a coupe of fudge factors, including prior dive history.Base Haldane models just keep you off-gassing at the same rate you were on-gassing. I.e. (oversimplifying for clarity) you go on a 40-minute dive and on-gas for 40 minutes, do a 40-minute SI and off-gas for 40 minutes, your shearwater is going to count you clean as a whistle. RGBM: not so much, therefore it runs your next dive with more conservatism.

This is how it should work in theory, personally I find the #fact that #reallifedata supports it reassuring.
... and that is the problem. Unpublished “fudge” factors are difficult to model.

But, but, after the service center inspected and tested, told me it “behaved as expected”. How could it be?
Just from reading this thread, I would assume the reason is that given the Suunto record for failures, when they tested it and it failed to give the proper depth, it had behaved as expected.

Just from reading this thread, I would assume the reason is that given the Suunto record for failures, when they tested it and it failed to give the proper depth, it had behaved as expected.
Hahahaha!!! Well, yes.

... and that is the problem. Unpublished “fudge” factors are difficult to model.

Not quite: they are published but how do you think this translates into actual workings of an actual suunto vyper:
The VYPER implementation penalizes ascent violations by requiring additional safety stop time dictated by risk analysis of the violation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom