Instructors and Shop Owners please read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Friggincold

Contributor
Reaction score
I am considering going on and getting my instructor rating. I have a few questions that I would like to get some input on.
1. How soon could I get my investment back based upon current wages paid?
2 Do you consider selling gear( only what the shop stocks may not be the best for the diver) a conflict of interest?
3 How many people do you think make a good living teaching?
4 Will a Training facility only(no gear sales ) make a good profit?
5 Do shops consider training a loss leader and attempt to make the profits on gear sales? (it appears Air sales are a loss leader)

Any coments welcome I am trying to make a life changing choice.
Thanks,
Friggincold :cold:

From what I have seen over the past several years;

Class prices are seasonal therefore they make money sometimes and are loss leaders at others.

The Christmas sales seem to be a tax strategy and keep some cash flow going during the slow times.

The time to recover your investment would really depend on how much you invested/risked to get into business and what volume of business you are capable of doing. Would you portray your operation as an elite and pricey place that moves relatively few items but has a huge mark up on each or would you go the Wal-Mart route and sell a blue bazillion items each day and clear a penny per item?

As with any other small business make sure you have very little or no personal debt. You should have a modest lifestyle that can be supported with little income. Also it would be good to have one years worth of personal living money in the bank.

Just thought I'd drop a few thought here. I'll (hopefully) be getting my instructor rating completed this spring. The others on the board will be far more helpful with your questions but just thought I'd drop a few points to ponder:

Are you willing to move? PA, if anything like OH, probably isn't going to give you the opportunity to make a living as an instructor without a second job. Your interests say "beachbum" so I'm assuming moving to someplace divers frequent isn't a problem.

I knew an instructor who sold gear on his own. His selection was limited because he did not have a store front and some manufacturers require this. Most of what he had was off-brand stuff, while this was great for wetsuits and booties and even masks and snorkels I don't think I would buy my regulators or bcd's from him. His booties were only $35 (and he did make a small profit) for the 1/4 inch neoprene with an nice walking sole, comparable booties sold for over $70 in the local dive shops. This would really seem to be a conflict of interest if you were working for a shop, he was working at a university.

If you had a training facility with no shop you would have overhead that would need to be covered--have you checked out the price of insurance for an instructor lately? You would probably need to own several sets of gear in several sizes (bcd's, regulators, maybe a few masks and fins in case someone forgets theirs) this equipment would probably also need to be insured (that's an option with Insurance Management Services Inc. who I have my Divemaster insurance through). Could you charge enough per student to cover all of that plus things like an air compressor, tanks, and the tons of things I haven't even thought of and still remain competitive price-wise with local dive shops? You could make your students buy ALL of their own gear before the class but I don't think you'll find many that will be willing to do that.

Sometimes in my NAUI publication I see small resorts come up for sale, that might be an option. Here's an idea, I read an article about how some ski resorts cater to people with kids but scuba resorts don't. Maybe you could buy a place somewhere warm and hire qualified child-care people who could come up with child friendly activities that would keep the young-uns occupied while mom & dad dive.

Do you enjoy being a salesman? You would have to sell yourself as an instructor even if you didn't work at a shop. Working at a shop means showing and selling gear, trying to get that "add-on sale" at the cash register and trying to encourage people to make the jump to the next level of diving "A good diver is always training."

Do you have a shop that is willing to hire you in mind? Maybe you could get your Divemaster rating first and get a job doing that. You'd have some control over your wages since you work for tips! Then you could see if the diving industry could support your particular lifestyle.

My advice, if you love to teach and love scuba get your instructor rating and go for it even if you need a second job to cover some of the bills. If you're just looking to make a bunch of money you would be doing your students a disservice.

Hope everything works out for you!:) BTW none of the above is meant as a flame in any way, simply food for thought.

Ber :bunny:

Brer has made some really great points here....................The consensus on the board from the instructors is that you might better teach for the love of the sport and hold down a second job..............although from here the resort angle looks mighty appealing........................................
but then again you could take CaptDaves approach...........lol

Originally posted by bottom_sucker
Butch,

Surely you're not trying to get that thread going again???

:jester: Dave

Nah............Dave......just having some fun................

How much does it usually cost for the instructors rating?

I have many friends who have expressed an interest and desire to dive. And when I tell them what to do they ask "Why don't you just teach me?" I tell them I can't since I''m not an instructor. But it might be cheaper for my friends and family for me to get the instructors license and then charge them perhaps-$150.00 a peice.

I'm not looking to make money just to teach my friends and family for a low rate. I need more dive buddies and I love to teach and dive....

Mike

Originally posted by Friggincold
I am considering going on and getting my instructor rating. I have a few questions that I would like to get some input on.
1. How soon could I get my investment back based upon current wages paid?
2 Do you consider selling gear( only what the shop stocks may not be the best for the diver) a conflict of interest?
3 How many people do you think make a good living teaching?
4 Will a Training facility only(no gear sales ) make a good profit?
5 Do shops consider training a loss leader and attempt to make the profits on gear sales? (it appears Air sales are a loss leader)

Answers:
(1) Never
(2) Yes
(3) Only those associated with an educational institution, or instructor trainers. The rest make their money selling something other than their teaching time.
(4) No (assume you're not talking about an ITC)
(5) Most do.
Rick

Just thought I'd give you some info for your #3 answer. The educational institution (university) where I help out pays instructors $500 per quarter, that's all. Divemasters and AI's are volunteers (we must love it, we pay to be there!). I hope you were talking about an ITC rather than a university :) . The 2 year college in town pays the instructor $50 per student, that's actually the better deal around here. Of course you still have 40 hours of work between the classroom and the pool at both places and that doesn't count any time to grade quizzes and homework, prep for lectures or do the other "behind the scenes" stuff.

Cheers!

Ber :bunny:

Scuba Instructing reminds me of the old joke about the farmer who won a million dollars in the lottery. When asked what he was going to do with his newfound wealth, the farmer replied "Well, I guess I'll just keep on farming 'til it's gone."
Rick

Back
Top Bottom