Instructors and Shop Owners please read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This set of answers is the "teaching at your local PA dive shop or as an independent"

A second set of answers is the "I have a captain's license, speak more than one language, can repair all makes of gear, fix the compressor, diesel engines and anything else"

I can't provide the second set of answers.

1. How soon could I get my investment back based upon current wages paid?

Never, unless you are an independent, but that will require additional investment well beyond your current investment.

2 Do you consider selling gear( only what the shop stocks may not be the best for the diver) a conflict of interest?

No. The shop stocks something in each category that I have no problem selling. I will drag the customer away from a Dacor reg to an Apeks reg for sure.

3 How many people do you think make a good living teaching?

As an instructor? Zero. As a dive shop owner/instructor, many. As a course director, a couple.

4 Will a Training facility only(no gear sales ) make a good profit?

No. Absolutely not. Not selling equipment to your customer is a disservice. I sell product into an indusrty that generates revenue through services and product sales. Revenues from services is finite relative to space and personnel. Revenues from product sales can increase many times over withouth additional space and personnel. Gear sales is vital for the shop and for the customer.

5 Do shops consider training a loss leader and attempt to make the profits on gear sales? (it appears Air sales are a loss leader)

Most do. This is an industry mistake and needs to change. This worked fine when gear sales were almost guaranteed, but the world has changed. Alternate distribution channels are here to stay.

People need professional training. They spend, say $250 for a class. For this they receive approximately a minimum of 32 hours of instructor time. That's $8/hour. The plumber charges $50/hour, the HVAC guy bills out at $65/hour.

It's time to think out of the box and provide added value and a comprehensive experience to get divers in and keep them diving.

By the way, the average life span of an instructor is 5 years.

Originally posted by buff
How much does it usually cost for the instructors rating?

I have many friends who have expressed an interest and desire to dive. And when I tell them what to do they ask "Why don't you just teach me?" I tell them I can't since I''m not an instructor. But it might be cheaper for my friends and family for me to get the instructors license and then charge them perhaps-$150.00 a peice.

I'm not looking to make money just to teach my friends and family for a low rate. I need more dive buddies and I love to teach and dive....

Mike

Mike,

I work for a PADI shop, so I can only tell you what they charge for instructor cert. For AI and Instructor, it goes for around $1200 at our shop, and I don't think this includes the exam fee (yes...you have to pay for the privlege to take the test!) And, this doesn't include any specialty training. The books for Instructor run another $300.00, give or take.

Of course, everyone knows "PADI" stand for "put another dollar in" so other agencies might be a little cheaper. But, I don't think you are looking at a small amount with any agency.

Hence...don't think I will EVER become an instructor, unless I win the lottery! :wink:

If it's money youwant to make, you probobly shouldnt do it.
There is not much money in being instructors, aspecialy when you also consider the effort you are requiered when training others.

As for "returning the investment"-Since instructor courses are not that expansive, 2 months of minimum wage can return your "investment". Go for it only for the fun and love of diving, becouse money, myfriend, will be hard to find in this trade. There are far too many instructors today, so shop owners reduced wages to about minimum wage (and sometimes, considering the overtime, even less).

Back
Top Bottom