Instructors and shops - How to NOT impress me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A new shop owner who has not realized yet that your business lives off of the annuity built by good service rather than the quick hit. While this was a single instructor and so it is clearer, I am amused at how different LDSs have different personalities that way. I am fortunate to live in an area with a number of them and I do my training at probably the least convenient one because they have the right attitude for me. I go back over and over again because of that and every time I have to go to the shop very close to my house because I just can't bear the drive, I am reminded why I do it. It makes all the difference.

This might be the most disturbing post I've read on SB to date. I believe you but it is unbelieveable if you know what I mean.

Me too, but I am surprised by how not surprised I was.

Yes.
Before I knew better I wanted to buy a 5' primary hose so I ordered one through my LDS. Though I specified black they ordered a yellow one, which I did not accept. 8 weeks later I received my hose and it only cost me $100.
Recently I replaced that hose over the internet. 5' Miflex delivered in less than a week $41.

I wanted an unpainted 40cuft. stage bottle so I asked around at the local shops. None in stock. lowest price $220.
I ordered it online from Florida. 1 week free delivery $135 taxes included.

We are on different coasts but seem to have the same LDS. :)

Years back this new dive shop opened up near me. I stopped by about a week after they opened ... just to say hello and welcome them to the neighborhood. The guy behind the counter was a bit impressed with himself ... immediately told me how he was planning to put the guy down the street out of business in six months. I wished him luck and left ... never quite getting around to telling him I was working for the guy down the street.

His shop lasted less than a year ... the guy down the street stayed in business for quite a bit longer than that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw.

I lied on my resume, you lied about the job. Were even.

As reported by the op, the comments from the instructor behind the counter would keep me from doing work with him, and I would not refer others. However, it is a good idea when engaging in conversation with a scuba retailer or an instructor to state what you are looking for, and truthfully represent yourself ( and others about whom you are talking ). I am not excusing an overbearing sales person/newbie instructor here, I just wanted to add my point to the conversation. Honesty on each side of the counter makes for better relationships.
DivemasterDennis

Wow, you guys have some awful shops near you! :p My LDS here will often match online pricing. He explains the differences in products but never pushes any one product at me. (The shop owner) He sometimes makes suggestions based on what I say I want to use it for or how I dive. But if I say I want something specific, no questions asked. He will get it for me. Servicing has been painless. My equipment always comes out great. Repairs are fast. As instructors, there are 3 there, all of them are very patient and go beyond the required curriculum of the courses, making sure I fully understand and can perform every skill in the water. They take time to explain even the smallest details. I feel very safe and like I have learned more than my money's worth during classes there.

Maybe my LDS is a rare one. But reading some of these posts makes me very happy I found them. I wouldn't trade this shop for any other. I would travel cross country just to visit this shop. I can't imagine going to some of the ones people talk about here.

This might be the most disturbing post I've read on SB to date. I believe you but it is unbelieveable if you know what I mean.

As an APUSH teacher I don't find this unbelievable. Some of these parents think their crap doesn't stink, and their precious babies can do no wrong.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2012 at 11:37 AM ----------

Also consider the demographics of the parents getting their "babies" certified. Doctors, lawyers, etc.

Honesty on each side of the counter makes for better relationships.
DivemasterDennis

Early on in the conversation I got the feeling that the owner/instructor would tell me anything that I wanted to hear, just so as to get my money. My dishonest portrayal of my intentions and his response led me to believe that either he would say anything just to get my money (making him untrustworthy) or that he was willing to subject my child to what I feel is an unreasonable level of risk.

I'm soooo glad my LDS of choice (I have a few to pick from) rocks! They try to sell you on the best but also don't mind you telling them that you want middle of the road or cheaper gear. The service and grateful thanks for shopping here attitude is the same either way you go.

So, prior to this zero to hero transformation did you catch what his prior line of work was?

I have on numerous occasions run into individuals that though skill, luck, family money, etc have amased the cash to have a change of carear and dive into a whole new specialty. It's scary when someone armed with superficial knowledge lands in a position where real experience is expected. People like this should be silent partners or stay in the background while skilled people build the business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom