Instructors and shops - How to NOT impress me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been lucky. Our LDS (has 2 locations) has many retail employees, Instructors, DMs, etc. and I can't recall a time I have been annoyed about any sales tactics. Which is good since there literally is no competition other than the internet.

as a side note...ive had a lot of fun with seal team kids while older members of the family were doing openwater basics

they became some of the most skilled and comfortable of our groups!!!it ain't ALL about the cha-ching...

As an APUSH teacher I don't find this unbelievable. Some of these parents think their crap doesn't stink, and their precious babies can do no wrong.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2012 at 11:37 AM ----------

Also consider the demographics of the parents getting their "babies" certified. Doctors, lawyers, etc.

It probably doesn't help how many parents with young children grew up in the "No Child Left Behind" environment, and then went to colleges or universities that pretty much passed any student who paid their tuition and showed up for a minimal number of classes. They end up with a concept that an instructor not passing their child, means that their child is a "failure." Rather than accept the idea that the child needs to know a certain skill better before being moved on to the next step, they want their child to "feel good" about himself (and/or they want to feel good about their own selves, because they fear their child's "failure" reflects poorly on them). They don't consider the potential consequences that might follow this kind of artificial self-esteem bolstering, when it comes to activities where ignorance is not only NOT bliss, but can be deadly.

But guess who will be the quickest to file a wrongful death lawsuit if their precious child does end up dying from not knowing the skills well enough...?

Back
Top Bottom