Instructors who yell for no reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yelling isn't the worst I've seen. I once had an experience with an instructor who physically punched my (then) wife underwater because she swam too close to his class. He had put his class in tight along a jetty which happens to be one of our more popular dive sites, and my wife failed to notice them in time ... partly because she was focused on her camera.

The instructor and I had "words" after they came out of the water ... while it is true that she should have given the class a wider berth, punching a diver is never an acceptable thing to do. And punching my wife can get a person seriously injured, regardless of how justified they think it was ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Pathetic behavior! You should have reported the instructor to the agency as well as the LDS that he was teaching with.

A class at Keystone?!?

... happens with some regularity, actually ... although usually they take their students away from the jetty, out in the open area between it and the pilings. There's actually a rope at 20 feet that they use when the current picks up ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Going off topic (or "here goes Kosta again): I'm curious what others think, but when I watched "Diving into the Unknown", it sounded like they figured out how to talk through their rebreathers. They seem to have developed a technique.
You can speak through a regulator too, with a lot of practice. It's a bit garbled but it works.

You can speak through a regulator too, with a lot of practice. It's a bit garbled but it works.

That is a good thing it is garbled, as I have yelled at students who completely forget the briefing 10 minutes into a dive. Fortunately, I always calm down before reaching the surface. If I calmly ask a student when we surface "So how do you think that went?", I'm really not happy. If they do well, I'll say "great job on _____" and add "some points of improvement would be ____"

Two of the dives for my OW course were at Keystone.

With the currents there, it wouldn’t be my first choice. Too short of a window at slack unless you pop in and out fairly fast. My opinion.

Since we’ve strayed a little off topic; during my IE another candidate had “loose cam strap” for one of his pool skills. The diver he demonstrated on was a big(strong) guy that likes his cam strap super tight (Scubapro Super cinch). The candidate had to straddle the student to fasten the latch all while yelling “F****in Martin”. We all heard him clear as day, I don’t think I ever heard so much laughter underwater.

With the currents there, it wouldn’t be my first choice. Too short of a window at slack unless you pop in and out fairly fast. My opinion.

In the shallows, you can dive there pretty much anytime on a flood ... particularly in the shallower areas where OW classes are typically taught. The jetty provides some protection from the current. Now, you might not want to be anywhere near the pilings or the end of the jetty ... :eek: ... but those who know the site well (as do the dive shop staff in Oak Harbor and Anacortes) routinely teach OW classes there.

And just so no assumptions get made, the instructor I referenced earlier was from a shop in Idaho ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In the shallows, you can dive there pretty much anytime on a flood ... particularly in the shallower areas where OW classes are typically taught. The jetty provides some protection from the current. Now, you might not want to be anywhere near the pilings or the end of the jetty ... :eek: ... but those who know the site well (as do the dive shop staff in Oak Harbor and Anacortes) routinely teach OW classes there.

And just so no assumptions get made, the instructor I referenced earlier was from a shop in Idaho ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

Okay, but can you be at 40 feet and be out of the current? I always take my students to max depth for OW courses. Mind you, I'm always taking pictures when I'm there, so I have not paid that much attention to those details.

Bob,

Okay, but can you be at 40 feet and be out of the current? I always take my students to max depth for OW courses. Mind you, I'm always taking pictures when I'm there, so I have not paid that much attention to those details.

No ... 40 feet will put in smack into the current. OW classes taught at Keystone don't go that deep unless conditions are close to slack. As I indicated earlier, there's a rope attached to the bottom at 20 feet. Classes are usually conducted within easy reach of that rope ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom