Interested in BP/W setup (sizing?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This might be better off in a phone call but maybe you can answer here in case anyone else is in the same boat. I'm ready to purchase my first BC and after reading all the replies on here and seeing your prices I'd like to go with a DSS rig. I was originally planning on purchasing a zeagle ranger but the money I will save can go towards a reg and computer.

Background:

I'm new to diving, with 10 dives total. I've used a rental jacket style and then a Genesis Recon borrowed from work (I liked it a lot better). Locally I dive with a full 7mm suit and an AL80 and 24lbs in weight. I'm 6'1 200lbs. I'd like something I can use locally in my current exposure suit but also something I can take with on trips to the caribbean 2 or 3 times a year. Please let me know what you'd reccommend.

Thanks
Nick

(Also, what are shipping times to Chicago? Is it something I could have by this weekend?)

This might be better off in a phone call but maybe you can answer here in case anyone else is in the same boat. I'm ready to purchase my first BC and after reading all the replies on here and seeing your prices I'd like to go with a DSS rig. I was originally planning on purchasing a zeagle ranger but the money I will save can go towards a reg and computer.

Background:

I'm new to diving, with 10 dives total. I've used a rental jacket style and then a Genesis Recon borrowed from work (I liked it a lot better). Locally I dive with a full 7mm suit and an AL80 and 24lbs in weight. I'm 6'1 200lbs. I'd like something I can use locally in my current exposure suit but also something I can take with on trips to the caribbean 2 or 3 times a year. Please let me know what you'd reccommend.

Thanks
Nick

(Also, what are shipping times to Chicago? Is it something I could have by this weekend?)

Hi Nick

At 6'1" I would recommend a Large Plate.

You are currently using about 26 lbs of total ballast (lead + ~2 lbs for your reg)

Your Jacket BC is likely about +3 lbs and an empty al 80 is about +3 (fresh water)

That means about 20 lbs of ballast is required to sink your 7mm suit. (26 - 3 - 3 = 20)

A large plate and harness is about -7 lbs, and a reg is -2 and a full al 80 is about -2. With a full tank your rig will be about -11 to -12 lbs. With an empty cylinder your rig will provide about 6 lbs of ballast.

You need 20 lbs to offset the buoyancy of your suit. 20-6 leaves 14 lbs in a belt.

You are probably a candidate for our bolt on weight plates. These add 8 lbs per pair (4 lbs each) If we assume you are using the weight plates your rig goes from 12 lbs to -20 lbs.

To float your rig at the surface without you in it will require a wing greater than 20 lbs and to be able to compensate for a fully compressed wetsuit will require a wing greater than about 20 lbs (initial suit buoyancy)

I'd recommend a Torus 26.

What about tropical? In warm water with al 80's divers typically need about 8-9 lbs of ballast. 4 lbs for the buoyant tank and 3-5 for a thin wetsuit (3mm etc.)

The plate and harness will provide about 7 lbs and your reg about 2 lbs 7 + 2 = 9.

Fro travel take off the weight plates. You could use a smaller wing, but a Torus 26 is a nice streamline wing. Many people use them for warm water travel.

Recap:

Large SS Plate
Torus 26
Hogarthian Harness.

Our complete rigs include cambands and wedge blocks

These goods are currently available for immediate shipment.

We can reach Chicago by Thursday via UPS 3 day service if we receive your order by about noon today.

Tobin

Thanks for the quick reply, one more question I should have asked earlier. I'm looking into using a drysuit. Would I still be able to use the 26 with a drysuit? I'm not sure whether or not I'll like it or just stick with the 7mm suit so I'd like something I could do both with.

Thanks for the quick reply, one more question I should have asked earlier. I'm looking into using a drysuit. Would I still be able to use the 26 with a drysuit? I'm not sure whether or not I'll like it or just stick with the 7mm suit so I'd like something I could do both with.

Required wing size is a function of the buoyancy of your suit. Do you know how buoyant your as yet not purchased drysuit and undergarment will be?

If you need these goods by Friday, I'd suggest calling.

Tobin

After speaking with Tobin on the phone I went with his recommended setup. I'm going to mess around with weighting in the pool and see whether or not I need the weight plates. Great customer service thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom