Interesting approach to automatic Buoyancy at DEMA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking as a diving instructor who dove all over with many different setups (BP/wing for recreational, instructed SM and CCR in the past, cold and warm water diving). I was in the Avelo pilot program and then dove it in different conditions and setups. It is far better than any other form of diving I experienced. I'm not an ambassador and have nothing to gain. Not a newbie diver and certainly know how to properly determine how much weight I need and how to use a BCD... Avelo diving was the ultimate freedom for me and I would switch to it in an instant once it becomes available. It is not and who knows when it will be. You can go analyze the physics of it all you want and try to come up with reasons why it shouldn't be. I tried both. They wouldn't get a person at the caliber of Dan Orr and other progress-resistant old-school scuba HOF divers to support it if the approach wasn't solid.

I was in the Avelo pilot program and then dove it in different conditions and setups. It is far better than any other form of diving I experienced. I'm not an ambassador and have nothing to gain.
How does this square with your posts from 2016? It appears you were much more involved with the development of this product than you stated above.
Hello,

This is for a project targeting next generation SCUBA cylinders. It's a patent pending technology and we are in need of an experienced pneumatic pumps engineer that is an avid SCUBA diver. Specifically: air driven, high pressure hydraulic fluid pump design.

The goal is to have that person join the team, but even if the availability is only part time please contact us.

If you are interested, or know somebody that might be - please contact me in PM.

Thank you.
Hello,

I'm working on a unique SCUBA project and am looking for an experienced mechanical engineer that worked with pneumatic pumps. I can promise a very interesting project, but please have an entreprenurial spirit.

Please contact in pm if interested to hear more.

Thank you.

I think that this will fall into the "totally weird crap that you see at DEMA and then never see or hear from again." I just can't see anything with this many potential failure modes being used in rental fleets and I think that this might be the best use for the product.

Having said that, I would try it if given the opportunity and if they were to work it out and produce it for less than $1500ish, I might even buy one. I dive a very minimalist rig (bp with small wing) and would be happy to shrink it even more for tropical vacation diving.

I think it's a cool idea, but the wildly exaggerated claims about 25-30 lb less weight and wetsuit buoyancy not appreciably changing with depth stick in my craw.

Speaking as a diving instructor who dove all over with many different setups (BP/wing for recreational, instructed SM and CCR in the past, cold and warm water diving). I was in the Avelo pilot program and then dove it in different conditions and setups. It is far better than any other form of diving I experienced. I'm not an ambassador and have nothing to gain. Not a newbie diver and certainly know how to properly determine how much weight I need and how to use a BCD... Avelo diving was the ultimate freedom for me and I would switch to it in an instant once it becomes available. It is not and who knows when it will be. You can go analyze the physics of it all you want and try to come up with reasons why it shouldn't be. I tried both. They wouldn't get a person at the caliber of Dan Orr and other progress-resistant old-school scuba HOF divers to support it if the approach wasn't solid.

The guy (Dan Orr) uses an Air 2, that will disqualify his opinion on gear for 90% of the people here.
1670945309655.png

Wow, I just saw this Avelo system and I just found this thread. I have a lot to read.

I have been wanting to play with a different rigid ballast tanks for a while.

The Avelo system has the great advantage of adjusting the over all tank density up by pumping high pressure water into it, but the non-standard cylinder is going to be a hard sell.

I also think they are downplaying the neoprene compression way too much. But it would work great in warm water.

BTW, rigid ballast systems is nothing new. Around 1977 Dacor introduced the Nautilus system and I have seen pictures of a White Stag system and at least one more rigid ballast system. The concept has its merits, but it also has limitations (with heavy wet-suit) and implementation can be challenging.

I have had a design in mind for a simple system, but it is never as simple as I would like it. I am thinking of using two PVC pipes on the sides of the scuba tank.

Here are some pictures of the DACOR Nautilus system. The Avelo system is much more streamlined, compact, and is intended to not need any extra lead, but the concept of not having a compressible air bubble in a flexible bladder is the same and the buoyancy control is the same.

I have dove the Nautilus system and does work. The buoyancy of the Nautilus stays constant, but I could tell that my thick wet-suit did change more than I could ignore.

The other issue with the Nautilus is that it has a 40 pound buoyancy capacity, which is ridiculously excessive. The diver has to empty all the water to be able to walk out of the water.

Putting the rigid ballast tank inside the scuba cylinder is an interesting idea, but that cylinder looks expensive to own and maintain...

MX-2310U_20141209_201304_001_zps05fa0234.jpg

MX-2310U_20141209_201605_001_zps9ee2b642.jpg

Nautilus%20Ad%20by%20Dacor.jpg

Nautilus%20Features.jpg

Nuatilus%20Diver%20entering%20water.jpg

Comparatively, a rigid ballast system seems far more practical, maintainable, and affordable. Given a choice, I'd probably prefer to try the Dacor one, simply because there's a chance I might be able to afford and maintain it. A DIY one does sound pretty interesting, and doable too. Not necessarily "easy" but doable.

shrug. i live here. have hands on experience. is it cool. yes but i don’t see the praticallity of switching. sure it saves weight when using al80, jacket bcd etc but my bpw, using a soft plate (tropics), and steel 80 is still 2lbs lighter than the avelo setup. i have a 31lb (when full) hp steel 80 and a 34.6lb steel 80 when full. i use 0 weight. humm. spend a bunch of cash to use avelo and lose all that weight or ditch aluminum tank use in the tropics and use much cheaper (than avelo) steel tanks. eh. whatever.

oh, there is this notion that steel tanks are heavier than aluminum tanks. those in the know KNOW that certain size HP steel tanks are lighter than their aluminum counterpart,

The Avelo tanks are long too. taller than an al80. the avelo tanks sit in the “tray” because of the hose that comes out the bottom. almost double the length og an hp steel 80.

Not for you with access to steel HP80, but maybe for tourist relegated to renting everything that is not a strong diver physically or technically. I’m thinking somebody like a small framed 5’ woman who dives occasionally with family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom