Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbbaille

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and to be honest, I have never scuba dived... However, I would like to use a scuba tank as an air compressor.

I just came from the local scuba shop where they told me that it is quite simple to do (they use scuba tanks as air compressors themselves): just need the first stage regulator which delivers a certain "intermediate pressure".

I read on this forum that this intermediate pressure varies between 130psi to max 160psi. Is there any chance to set this pressure to more than that, like 300psi? On standard pressure regulators the output pressure can be set, I was wondering if it was the case with scuba regulators.

I really hope you can help me guys, otherwise my other solution would be to spend several grounds on an air compressor...

Cheers,

John

I would not try to set them that high. They are designed at 130 - 150 psi, not 300. For what you pay for a scuba regulator, tank and refills why do buy a compressor? If you need portable air buy a transport tank?

Without some modifications most (no??) scuba regs will not adjust up that high and premature failure is likely. A better option is a high pressure regulator for industrial gasses, similar to gas welding regulators.

Thanks all for your reply. Really appreciated.
@Oldbear An air compressor cost several grounds for pressure over 12 bars, that's the reason why I prefer to go that way.
@Pao Thanks for the link! Will ask the dealer this works
@herman Thought of using gas bottle as well but it was more expensive than scuba tanks. Might be a better option though now that I know that you can't get adjustable high pressure out of the regulator.

Poseidon Cyklon regulators have the highest IP in common use in SCUBA, 165 PSI, I believe. While there is some adjustment range, I wouldn't try to run one at 300 PSI, even for non-SCUBA use. As Herman points out, there are industrial regulators that work at these pressures. You could probably adapt one to fit the valve on a SCUBA tank.

It's not unusual for divers who have SCUBA cylinders readily available to use them as a portable air source. I have a regulator set aside for the purpose, to which I have added an industrial quick coupler.

Hi John,

Welcome to ScubaBoard. As others have pointed out, most scuba regulators are a poor substitute for a compressor-but not always. Could I suggest you re-ask your question in the compressor forum and explain the application. The folks in that forum know tons about compressors and also very knowledgeable about regulators and tanks too.

Couv

Actually, what I had in mind was to modify the input of a industrial gas regulator (put a DIN or Yoke connector on it) and then connect it to a scuba tank....I have one that I plan to do that to.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't see there was a section about compressors, will definitively give it go!

the scuba regs will function fine at that pressure, just good luck finding a spring that will be able to handle it. Some CCR guys using CMF orifice regulators for real deep diving have custom springs in their regs for going up that high, but then you have to ensure that your hoses are rated and what not. The other big issue is if you make the first stage go up that high, you have to find a second stage that can handle that IP, and I'm almost positive those don't exist

Back
Top Bottom