Internet gear question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bp_968:
Excellent idea. It was the FIRST thing I tried. I've done that a number of times for camera gear and the local store will usually work hard to match or get close to those prices. Sadly the LDS had no interest in that. I got 10$ off a 190$ set of fins, but they said they can't lower their prices because scubapro won't let them. pretty convientent since they carry almost nothing but scubapro.

Bp
yeah, some use it as a "convienience" for sure. But there are ways around it too, the lds I use most will cut that price right down. Somthing about a SP trade in deal that lets them drop the price to a more reasonable level. I guess it depends on the shop, I sometimes go to another, closer shop that sells full price, PERIOD, funny, but that shop has almost NO stock, and has to order most everything you want. The other has a shop full of gear that moves a lot faster, Who's the better business man? Sell for a little less, have a loyal following, make more $$$.

divemastergreg:
Some companies give a min. msrp that you can't go below. Thats true.

This probably deserves more explanation. The min price is not a legal or contractual requirement that can be enforced in the courts. It is contained in the dealer agreement for some regions. (Scubapro USA has it, but I believe at least some of the foreign dealerships do not.) So the risk a shop take by lowering prices is that the mfgr/distributor may stop supplying him. But shops who really want to, have found ways around it. Packages of mixed brand are one way. $800 receipt for a SP Mk25/S600 and a SQ Balance BCD. Or free airfills/tank rentals thrown in to offset the min msrp. How about that Mk25/S600 at msrp minus 10% plus 20 free airfill or 2 years of free annual service. Others just say their book are their business and there are plenty of other suppliers.

Bottom line is min prices set by the mfgr/dist are the truth. But they are not a barrier unless both the shop and the customer let them be.

I have no problem with that, fills to off set prices. Loyal customers get alot in return. Atleast mine do. I will go above and beyond for those guys. We give away dive trips, fills, fill cards, and some service stuff we do for free. We are not here to make tons of money. We just want to stay open and be able to dive.

divemastergreg:
I have no problem with that, fills to off set prices. Loyal customers get alot in return. Atleast mine do. I will go above and beyond for those guys. We give away dive trips, fills, fill cards, and some service stuff we do for free. We are not here to make tons of money. We just want to stay open and be able to dive.

Just curious, Greg, what is the name and location of your shop??

Scott

divemastergreg:

Greg sounds very reasonable. One of these days I plan on taking a road trip thru FL. Is Rockledge area diving worth a day or 2 stop?

It is close to Cocoa beach. Not a ton of diving unless you have your own boat. If you do, big fish big lobsters!!!! Most of our diving is more south of here. Worth a day? Yeah. Two maybe........ If you have your own boat hell yeah....

divemastergreg:
It is close to Cocoa beach. Not a ton of diving unless you have your own boat. If you do, big fish big lobsters!!!! Most of our diving is more south of here. Worth a day? Yeah. Two maybe........ If you have your own boat hell yeah....

Greg: Congratulations to you for sticking with this thread. Your honest and reasonable answers are exactly what most divers are looking for. It is quite obvious that most new and old divers will now do a bit of internet surfing and get a fairly good idea about pricing and service for the gear they are interested in. When these folks run into defensive/mad LDS who want to read them the riot act on internet sales or go on and on about no warranty etc. It just turns them off. Your approach is so much better: "OK, we are not a big internet dealer but we will meet or beat prices where we can plus we offer some other benies that you can only get here: free air fills, comp service etc." You are a good example. Best wishes for lots of good diving. mdb

mdb:
Greg: Congratulations to you for sticking with this thread. Your honest and reasonable answers are exactly what most divers are looking for. It is quite obvious that most new and old divers will now do a bit of internet surfing and get a fairly good idea about pricing and service for the gear they are interested in. When these folks run into defensive/mad LDS who want to read them the riot act on internet sales or go on and on about no warranty etc. It just turns them off. Your approach is so much better: "OK, we are not a big internet dealer but we will meet or beat prices where we can plus we offer some other benies that you can only get here: free air fills, comp service etc." You are a good example. Best wishes for lots of good diving. mdb

Here , Here ! :D
DB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom