Intova Sport Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Below is the setup that was used for that video. I simply place my HID in the PVC piece on the right. I then screw it on to the homemade goodman handle that the above setup is on. The SOLA's were on a similar goodman that was worn on my right hand. The SOLA goodman had another camera mounted in between them. That way I could set the camera on the ground and do swim over shots. Unfortunately the video from that camera somehow got corrupted, so I can't show you the outcome of that. In theory it was going to be pretty cool! This new setup will be used in caves where I simply want to light up as much as possible from my POV. I am purchasing approximately 4 more lights so I can do pre-lit shot. I plan on having a light for the lead diver. Then I am going to use the other lights lay in rooms or back areas of the caves on weighted stands so I can pre-stage the light, leave the room, and then enter again with video running. I am addicted to light now! LOL

As for the shooting, yes I shoot pretty much everything in 720 now. This goes for the GoPro's or with the Intova.

I saw the Peanut video you did. I liked your lighting setup and use. We need to get together with all of our lights and do a dive. What I imagine is two divers entering an area carrying video lights. One with a head mounted camera. Separate video divers already in the room lighting and videoing them as they come through. Plus the lay-down lights left in areas behind rocks to eliminate shadows. Could be fun! A lot of work and planning, but I think the results would be great with the multiple camera angles we could use for the final edit.

6FA38CC2-4619-4539-951A-EF555297134E-6826-00000C2AEB7D4710.jpg

I was intending to use my new Sport Pro only for fish ID when recently on a trip to Marsa Alam in the Red sea. When my wife saw the quality of some of the footage she was as amazed as I was. I have now been instructed to produce an edited video sequence (good thing winter is upon us). The camera worked like a charm from the word 'go'. Why only "some of the footage"? .... here are a few of the things that I had to get used to and (depending) compensate for:

# Getting too close. This is a fixed-focus simple gizmo and getting closer than about 30cm is a waste of time. I wonder if a close-up lens is in the offing. This might go some way to compensate for what I see as the biggest draw-back of the Sport Pro. Macro will never be an option.

# Moving the camera about too much. The ultra-wideangle accentuated all movements, so I needed to learn to be slow and deliberate with all panning. The closer one is to the subject, the worse it gets. Snorkelling over shallow reefs with the camera pointing down was a disaster. For similar reasons, shooting (when snorkelling) in choppy water gave a result which was annoying if not nauseating.

# The buttons become easier to depress with time, but it is worthwhile checking that the red 'record' icon is off, or, as was my case on various occasions, you get lengthy footages of sand and the end of your fins. If in doubt (not wearing optically corrected mask lenses), switch the camera off and on again.

# I found that the red filter was already an improvement even at depths as shallow as 10 metres. One day I inadvertently left the red filter on and then went snorkelling. Yikes!! Armageddon fire world.

# I lost the lens cap on day 2 :-( ......... Buy a €2 Euro cap lanyard and save yourself the pain of vacation depression.

# Unlike me, learn to use the white-balance, and experiment with the environment settings before your final day.

Hello Pedroinspain,

# Getting too close. This is a fixed-focus simple gizmo andgetting closer than about 30cm is a waste of time. I wonder if a close-up lensis in the offing. This might go some way to compensate for what I see as thebiggest draw-back of the Sport Pro. Macro will never be an option. Macrolens is in production and will be available later this month. Macro/Close Up Lens for Sport HD | Intova

# Moving the camera about too much. The ultra-wideangle accentuated allmovements, so I needed to learn to be slow and deliberate with all panning. Thecloser one is to the subject, the worse it gets. Snorkelling over shallow reefswith the camera pointing down was a disaster. For similar reasons, shooting(when snorkelling) in choppy water gave a result which was annoying if notnauseating.
This should not be an issue. We have a lot of fast movingsport video like biking and motocross with no problem. It is important to holdthe camera steady though. For underwater photography, best results are alwaysobtained shooting level or upwards. This is one of our “Photography tips”

# The buttons become easier to depress with time, but it is worthwhile checkingthat the red 'record' icon is off, or, as was my case on various occasions, youget lengthy footages of sand and the end of your fins. If in doubt (not wearingoptically corrected mask lenses), switch the camera off and on again. Newversions have larger heads on the buttons to make it easier to push. Buttonstiffness is important for use at depth.

# I found that the red filter was already an improvement even at depthsas shallow as 10 metres. One day I inadvertently left the red filter on andthen went snorkelling. Yikes!! Armageddon fire world. Red filters are oneof the simplest and least expensive solutions to help add warm colors back tounderwater images. Water pulls the colors out and a filter helps add it back.The best solution is lighting. Stay tuned for news on our waterproof videolights-coming soon.

# I lost the lens cap on day 2 :-( ......... Buy a €2 Euro cap lanyard and saveyourself the pain of vacation depression.

# Unlike me, learn to use the white-balance, and experiment with theenvironment settings before your final day.White Balance is anotherimportant tool to use for accurate color. We recommend setting white balanceevery 10 feet of a dive. Sport HD is the only POV camera we are aware of withmanual white balance.

Regards,
Joe

I saw the Peanut video you did. I liked your lighting setup and use. We need to get together with all of our lights and do a dive. What I imagine is two divers entering an area carrying video lights. One with a head mounted camera. Separate video divers already in the room lighting and videoing them as they come through. Plus the lay-down lights left in areas behind rocks to eliminate shadows. Could be fun! A lot of work and planning, but I think the results would be great with the multiple camera angles we could use for the final edit.
This sounds like a very good idea and I truly believe that we can pull it off. Say practice in OG or Peacock I and then set a new standard...in Cow! That dive eats light like no other I have dove. I'll PM you on the dates we are heading down and see if we can get together. Now since we shot the Peanut we have changed to better light head arms as well as going from the GoPro to the Intova. I can't wait to see what we are able to come up with. ...I can just see it now....Ryan and I are going up stream Cow and enter "Not my fault" and then we set up and you and your buddy come thru and proceed on while we video you. A bump and run concept going again and again. Seems like 7 plus lights and two-three cameras...the possibilities are endless.
Thanks for the ride mister, Tony

Man, now you got me excited!!!

Nice video, thanks for sharing!!! A couple of notes on comments in the string.
Lights are the best way to get natural color underwater. We will introduce some stunning new video lights this spring.
We recommend against using a filter with lights. Colors become oversaturated.
Filters are a good low cost, low profile way to add color underwater. Good but not as good as lights. We currently have a red filter for salt water and will introduce an amber filter in January for fresh water.
Best Regards,
Joe

Nice video, thanks for sharing!!! A couple of notes on comments in the string.
Lights are the best way to get natural color underwater. We will introduce some stunning new video lights this spring.
We recommend against using a filter with lights. Colors become oversaturated.
Filters are a good low cost, low profile way to add color underwater. Good but not as good as lights. We currently have a red filter for salt water and will introduce an amber filter in January for fresh water.
Best Regards,
Joe
Thanks! I can't wait to see what you guys come out with. I might have to add some to my arsenal of lights.

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the macro lens. A protective lens might be good too. Why not something PDA styled (screen protector)? Not sure how that would impact image quality.

Finally got a chance to take my camera out Wednesday night. I realize that I DO spend much of my viewing time underwater in the macro range, therefore most of my shots were blurry though view-able. I also discovered what a light with a really hot spot will do. Everything in the spot is washed out. Time to fashion a diffuser...or drop some cash on a vid light.

I ran into the corrupt file situation mentioned earlier in this post. I'll contact Intova for the firmware. Another note; I found a software tool (Windows) that successfully restored the video. It's free in demo mode, and will fix 50% of the video for free. If you want the whole thing, it's pretty expensive. Here's the link:
Grau GbR Hardware & Software Solutions - HD Video Repair Utility

And here's a sample of what I have filmed:
[video=youtube;8TXRSEJCssw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TXRSEJCssw[/video]

I spent 30 minutes in the parking lot before the dive hacking together a tray and diffuser for my dive light, and I think it came out nice. The light is a Trustfire TR-J1. If you click on my name, there's another lobster vid with the cam in one hand, and the same light in another.

Back
Top Bottom