Intro cave limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Having recently completed my intro cave cert I am very anxious to get back into some cool clear water so since I will be attending a family gathering in Charleston in May I thought Ginnie is a reasonable drive away for a weekend of diving. I emailed them about rentals and was surprised to get this reply
Hey Dave, Thank you for e-mailing. You can dive in doubles with a intro to cave card but you will not be able to carry a dive light into the Devils Springs Cave System, (eye and ear) unless your instructor has given you a provisional. We will need a copy of the provisional when you register to dive. Congratulations on your class and we look forward to seeing you at the springs Cathy

Since I don't know what a provisional is I probably don't have one but I guess my cave cert is not much good if I can't carry a light. Although I did do a bunch of cave exits in the dark I can't say I saw much:D
Anyone tell me what the rationale behind this is? Am I going to have to just do all my cave diving in Mexico?

dave:

you can dive in Ginnie with a single tank and carry a light with Intro.

one of the limits to the Intro. cert is that you can't do double dives. thus, if
you wear doubles, you are out of your certifcation limits and they
won't let you use a light (just like if you were an OW diver).

to do double dives, you will need a piece of paper from your instructor that
says you can. contact him. he should do this for you for free.

you will then be able to dive doubles to 1/6th and carry a light.

(note you still won't be able to dive doubles to 1/3 until you take
Apprentice)

give me a shout when your trip nears. i might be able to meet you at Ginnie
on a weekend.

Keep in mind that the provisional is only given to students who express a desire to continue on with their cave training. This is done by making the provisional only good for 60 days. My instructor has written many for me. Hopefully that will end soon as I'm getting my apprentice in May!

Thanks for the info guys. I have already booked my next level apprentice/full cave but will be doing it CCR so doubles will be irrelevant. In the mean time I want to get some cave experience. I won't go into a cave without doubles and I won't go without a light so I hope my instructor knows what this is about. I will definately take you up on your offer Andy.

wedivebc:
I won't go into a cave with doubles

i imagine you mean "you won't go into a cave without doubles"

i know the feeling. a single tank, even with with an H-valve, made me uncomforable.

i was real happy when i could finally start diving doubles into the cave.

but your instructor should have no problem giving you the ok to dive doubles

(just remember, you're limited to 1/6th)

H2Andy:
i imagine you mean "you won't go into a cave without doubles"

i know the feeling. a single tank, even with with an H-valve, made me uncomforable.

i was real happy when i could finally start diving doubles into the cave.

but your instructor should have no problem giving you the ok to dive doubles

(just remember, you're limited to 1/6th)
Yes edited post. We did 1/6th for all our dives. What depths are we looking at in Ginnie. We had 1/2 hr to turn point using 1/6ths on double aluminums in Mexico

the Devil's system isn't too deep in our range... we're talking less than 80
feet

(Ginnie and Devil's both empty into the Santa Fe River, and are in the
same complex... you pay for both when you come in)

wedivebc:
Yes edited post. We did 1/6th for all our dives. What depths are we looking at in Ginnie. We had 1/2 hr to turn point using 1/6ths on double aluminums in Mexico
You could reach depths in the 95 foot range near your turn, if your SAC rate and the SAC rate of your buddy is really good you will need to keep an eye out for decompression profiles since that is a no no in intro. That would only really be an issue if your tried to push for distance, there is plenty to see not too far into the system where the depths are more forgiving for long dives with less risk of entering deco.

Mark Vlahos

I'm also intro and I dive doubles (sixths) just because 1) its safer than an H and 2) I want the practice before I go full in March. My instructor knows I'm taking doubles in the cave and he's never said anything negative about it and I've never asked (he's given me pointers as well).

Never asked for a provisional card either but I've never been given a hard time about diving doubles despite many dives at Ginnie/Peacock/OG/JB. I guess its easier to ask for forgivness than permission.

I have no clue why TDI et al don't want intro divers in doubles, perhaps they are afraid they'll break sixths. So, they are making another rule that is just as easily broken so we don't break the sixths rule?? That's silly especially considering you are adding risk to the into diver by not allowing the redundancy of doubles.

I am so much safer in the caves on doubles and I'm not going to let restrictions on a c-card *limit* my ability to dive safely.

I can sort of see the reasoning since there is no way for the cave police to know if us noobs exceed 1/6ths so is it better to have a letter from teacher to say we understand the concept of 1/6ths and will abide by it??
My Mexico sac rate was in the mid to high .4s range. What size tanks will I want to rent for a decent dive? I notice Andy likes the 85s. Thats what I dive at home. Can we get a good "cave fill" on them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom