Intro cave limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B:
Will this be your first time in a high flow cave? If so, I doubt you'll get much past 70ft before you hit your turn pressure. :D
LOL, so very very true Jason. I burned through gas my first time in devils like it was going out of style.. :) Looking forward to hitting the caves next week, I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement. :multi:

Matt

Corigan:
Looking forward to hitting the caves next week, I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement.

Matt

Same here Matt, won't get here soon enough!

H2Andy:
i turned the dive pretty much as we got to the Cornflakes...

i wish my air consuption were better.

in my defense, the current was something fierce back then, with all the rain...

(excuses, excuses)

Don't fret. One of the things that diving repetitively will do will allow you to develop a comfort level,and learn how to read the cave. You'll find you'll relax as you become more aware of your surroundings,and as you learn to read the cave you'll learn where to be in a particular passage to reduce fighting the flow-this will lead to increased penetration. Cave divers doing this I find are far more successful than those strapping on bigger tanks and stages to go further,because they will retain the original problem that lead to short penetrations. When I first did Devil's in double 95s,it was a miracle that I made it just past Hill 400 on 1/3s,after approx 400 cave dives there,I can get the same distance swimming 1/3 of an al80 stage bottle. Just think of it this way,it gives you an excuse to go cave diving more often

I remember my first shot into devils I had the tie off so needless to say I was surprised at the current in the Ear. I wedged my knees completed the tie off and pulled myself in and to the right and then I took the most direct route to the gold line along the floor and up the wall. I had made plenty of swift water dives before so I knew I was going to be using the rocks. My classmate fought all the way down high in the center of the passage swimming all the way. I figured that I would just follow the instructor, Larry Green along the ceiling. We made it to the back side of the lips and the dive was turned my classmate had hit his thirds. Following dives we did get much further each time we went. Today my distances are way back into the system when I dive for fun but when diving with students the distances do get shorter. Ah the learning process.

Yep, I remember my 1st dive thru the ear. Thinking like a new intro diver, I saw the line running through the bottom of the gallery and I was right on it. Hit thirds (single tank) right before the lips. Now I make it quite a ways back there on sixths- almost to the hill 400 jump. Its nice to get out of the flow. I guess the flow is coming from the tunnel leading to the Bone Room. If so, does anyone dive that tunnel upstream or just keep going past the 400 jump and enter the bone room from the otherside and do a circuit?

I guess the flow is coming from the tunnel leading to the Bone Room. If so, does anyone dive that tunnel upstream or just keep going past the 400 jump and enter the bone room from the otherside and do a circuit?[/QUOTE]

We did it the other day it's not bad at all. Seems like their is less flow in the Bone Tunnel than if you head towards the mud flats.

Nic160:
I guess the flow is coming from the tunnel leading to the Bone Room. If so, does anyone dive that tunnel upstream or just keep going past the 400 jump and enter the bone room from the otherside and do a circuit?

We did it the other day it's not bad at all. Seems like their is less flow in the Bone Tunnel than if you head towards the mud flats.[/QUOTE]

I think the amount of flow coming through bone/big room is about the same,but lessened by the size of thee tunnel-larger tunnel,less water velocity. There are several flow sources to Devils,put the primary water flow is along mainline,although perceived strength of current is greatest in the smaller areas,especially before the Hill 400 snap n gap outcropping.

wedivebc:
I won't go into a cave without doubles and I won't go without a light

I'm 100% behind you on this one. I did my cavern in singles a while back, but when I did intro I had already converted over and was diving exclusively doubles. There was no chance in hell I was going to dive singles for the class... or any cave diving after that point.

The rule, IMHO, is pretty friggin dumb. It's a lot like the 'no gloves in <wherever>' rule to prevent the people from touching the coral. It's one of those rules that is meant to protect the stupid by adding risk to those that know *** they are doing.

I never had any trouble at any site during my period as an intro diver with my doubles. I imagine the only way you have an issue is by renting the tanks from them, so they know your cert vs. your equipment.

I'd say just rent the tanks from CE or EE, and just go in and get your ginnie "Intro" wristband and be done with it.

Spectre:
I'm 100% behind you on this one. I did my cavern in singles a while back, but when I did intro I had already converted over and was diving exclusively doubles. There was no chance in hell I was going to dive singles for the class... or any cave diving after that point.

The rule, IMHO, is pretty friggin dumb. .

Completely agree. I am hoping to do Intro Cave in a few months time.Most of my dives these days use doubles,dont even own a single tank. What possible purpose is served by having to use singles? (Fortunately my prospective instructor agrees and the class will be in doubles)

Maybe divers should not be allowed to dive doubles until they have a deco certification? After all,even double 80's have enough gas to get into trouble with........................

Spectre:

The rule, IMHO, is pretty friggin dumb. It's a lot like the 'no gloves in <wherever>' rule to prevent the people from touching the coral. It's one of those rules that is meant to protect the stupid by adding risk to those that know *** they are doing.

I never had any trouble at any site during my period as an intro diver with my doubles. I imagine the only way you have an issue is by renting the tanks from them, so they know your cert vs. your equipment.

I'd say just rent the tanks from CE or EE, and just go in and get your ginnie "Intro" wristband and be done with it.

I took my cavern/intro in a single but migrated to doubles shortly thereafter and by the time I did my next cave trip I couldn't imagine breaking up my doubles to do a dive where I could use the redundancy the most.
I understand the thought process behind it and will happily limit my penetrations at this level as I build up experience but I can do that while I have a second tank on my back by using restraint and common sense. So far no one has hassled me about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom