Intro cave limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as the 800' pen rule goes... I jut thought that was the rule b/c that's what I was told by my intro instructor. NACD... Lloyd Bailey. Maybe I heard him wrong, but both my buddy and I, who took the class seperately, thought he said our limits at intro level were thirds (duh), single tank, no jumps, 800' pen, and either 100 or 130' max depth (can't remember).

That's where I got that. I guess I was wrong, or he just self imposed them.

ianr33:
So you are saying that intro divers are not to be trusted and need to be protected from themselves? In which case I dont think they should have the certification in the first place.

I'm saying that there are limits for a reason. An intro cave diver doesn't neccesarily have the skill to be doing the stuff he could do on doubles, and so it's good to have that restriction. Obviously if you're in cave diving, you should be smart enough to follow the rules all the time, but let's face it... there's always someone who will bend or break them, and that's why there's limits. To keep idiots from hurting themselves.

KangarooSeatbelt:
NACD... Lloyd Bailey.

ah, ok... i bet you anything that's his own limit type thing. Lloyd is Lloyd.

Not wishing to start an argument here but if someone is not to be trusted to turn at 1/6,how can they be trusted to turn at 1/3rds? Or not to go into deco? or deeper than 130? Or not to squeeze through restrictions,just do that one little jump etc etc.

Why should I have to dive with less redundancy because of what some "idiot" MIGHT do?

i think Ginnie is asking divers to dive within the limits of their certifications.

an intro. diver is not certified to dive doubles unless instructor signs him off.
this is determined by the training agency, not Ginnie.

thus, Ginnie requires you show the doubles approval form thing if you're intro
(but only if you're going to rent their doubles).

is this the argument we're having?

No,the argument we are having is that the "standard" intro certification prevents divers from diving with what would seem to be the most appropriate equipment.

But then I am not even cavern certified yet,so what do I know? :)

How long does this "provisional" last ?

I think this thread settles any nagging doubts about the whole question of "cavern , intro cave, or GUE cave 1?" for me.

No way I'm diving 1/3s with singles just because some other idiot might exceed their training on doubles.

I agree, I've never gone into a cave with a single and never will, its just not logical no matter how you slice it

Just to clarify...

A minor restriction is when your buddy is stuck.
A major restriction is when you are stuck.

That is all. :thumb:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom