Intro cave limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that a single tank with a Y or H valve is perfectly safe for cave diving. If you have a failure at the neck of the tank... ok you might be in trouble. But that's why you have a buddy... and b/c you're on one tank, you shouldn't be too far back in the cave anyway, and should have no trouble getting out buddy breathing.

Therefore... it's a restriction like any other, imposed by the agencies for lots of reasons that don't really need to be covered. doubles are safer if you have the training for them, but that's what you get in full cave. I dove on doubles some before I took full, to get used to the equipment, but I still think the rules are there for a reason, and that it's not crazy talk.

ianr33:
I do.So why can't I use them?

Actually in a lot of cases you could use them, instructors teach intro to students in doubles all the time.

confusing isn't it

OneBrightGator:
Just to clarify...

A minor restriction is when your buddy is stuck.
A major restriction is when you are stuck.

That is all. :thumb:

Yup this is another way to look at it.

This would not be the time to give them that OOA signal right?

ianr33:
How long does this "provisional" last ?

I'm NACD and mine lasts for 60 days. Before my 60 days are up I have my instructor send out another. Of course this is only if you plan to advance to full cave (not an option for someone stopping at the Intro level).

if you have the training, go for it. just stay in sixths.

I'm confused on the entire "doubles training" why do you need training???

I dive doubles full time, never had a class.

I dive drysuit full time, never had a class.

What about doubles is so "dangerous" that they require training?? Do you need a class to teach you how to reach and shut down your valves? seams rather silly.

Not everyone is automatically a good diver. Us diving prodigies aren't a dime a dozen. Most people could use some pointers on good doubles technique before they really get into doing 2500' cave penetrations with multiple jumps. If you take your time, do small stuff till you're familiar with your equipment, and know your stuff, then you'll probably be fine.

however, the 10% you don't learn by not taking the class might be the 10% that kills you.

OneBrightGator:
Just to clarify...

A minor restriction is when your buddy is stuck.
A major restriction is when you are stuck.

That is all. :thumb:

:rofl2:

I understand the good doubles technique before you start doing 2500 penetrations and so on, but to force someone at the intro level to a single vs doubles is just kinda odd, 1/6th of double 130's and 1/3 of a single 130, you'd probably get farther on the single in a high flow cave.

you may be a diving prodogy, I am not, I self educated about Hogarthian, DIR principles then bugged the hell out of the local people I knew with enough questions to dive a person nuts, built a set of doubles and practiced like mad in the local 15' water hole before I moved on.

I don't suggest anyone simply buy a set and jump in the water, but is there really that much to it to warrent a class?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom