Intro to tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rileymartin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Does anyone have any links to details on the TDI Intro to tec diving course? I went to the website and called TDI but they just referred me to local dive shops. I was hoping to read details on the course as far as what was taught, how many days/hours of class time to expect, books, required dives and equipment and the going rate as well. I have my PADI advanced open water and enriched air certs and was looking to take the next step. Thanks for any info.

Riley

Hi,

Does anyone have any links to details on the TDI Intro to tec diving course? I went to the website and called TDI but they just referred me to local dive shops. I was hoping to read details on the course as far as what was taught, how many days/hours of class time to expect, books, required dives and equipment and the going rate as well. I have my PADI advanced open water and enriched air certs and was looking to take the next step. Thanks for any info.

Riley

Hi Riley,

The cool thing about TDI is that they allow their instructors to add to the course. That is, the course standards are the minimum to be taught to. The standards say that a minimum of 3 dives are required, I do 6 or 7 over two days.

Find an instructor you like and go with him/her. Focus on the education.

I have more information about my Intro to Tech class on my web site. I think I have the course outline on there as well. If not, PM me your email and I can get it to you.

Precision Diving - Introduction to Technical Diving

Duane

The TDI Intro to Tec is a "teaser" course without any specific skill requirements; rather it is really more of an opportunity to help the diver prepare for continuing their technical education. We run our program over two nights in class, two pool sessions, then three open water dives, and the participants truly improve skills, knowledge and dive aptitude as a result. The best part? 90% continue onward with technical diving education.

Thanks for the info and the links.

I went to a local dive shop today to bring in a tank to be hydro'ed and asked about getting the tank o2 cleaned and they said it was an unnecessary expense. They said if I was to use nitrox I would be better off renting a nitrox tank. I would save on the o2 cleaning and the more expensive nitrox fill. They also said nitrox was really only necessary if you went on an actual dive trip where you would be doing two and three dives a day. I asked them to go ahead and send the tank out to be hydro'ed and I would get back to them on whether or not I wanted to go ahead with the o2 cleaning. I don't know anything about tec diving yet and only know that nitrox is supposed to be safer due to less nitrogen exposure and you get increased bottom time. I figured the same would apply even if I do a single dive locally on the weekend. I would be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on which way to go with the tank and how my diving would be different with the intro to tec course.

Thanks.

I dive Nitrox all of the time. Mostly because I can blend it in my garage. I think it is a great gas to dive in the recreational limits. So if your getting Nitrox fills and they are partial pressure blending, you need to have the tank O2 cleaned.

You diving should be improved with a good I2T course. Just the dive planning, situational awareness, and propulsion techniques will help you become a better diver. Regardless if you decide to go tech or not.

Hey there Riley,

Nitrox is a great tool for diving, and like any tool, it has it's place, upsides and potential downsides. Here's a quick overview:

Upside #1 - on all dives, reducing your exposure to nitrogen pressure reduces your body's uptake of nitrogen, making the every dive a safer one (not withstanding O2 toxicity issues discussed below). So whether you choose to dive longer or just wish to reduce your N2 exposure, nitrox is great.

Upside #2 - Nitrox gas is really great for extending bottom times in the recreational mid-range of depths. 40 feet ofr shallower, there is minimal gain, and of course when you hit 90 feet or deeper, then the O2 issue begins to play a bigger role in gas selection.

Downside #1 - Increased risk of oxygen toxicity. High partial pressures of oxygen, in combination with higher amounts of carbolic acid in our tissues and bloodstream, increase the potential for CNS oxygen toxicity and the seizures that accompany it. The seizures themselves won't hurt you; but the inability to hold your regulator in your mouth, the inability to control your arm to retrieve that regulator and put it back, and the inability to stop from sucking in copius amounts of water in our lungs ultimately tends to lead to a bad ending for this particular dive. So, make sure you know a bit about gas partial pressures, enriched air (nitrox) gas selection, and the amount of effort you plan to expend on the dive (resulting in greater production of carbolic acid) and you should do fine.

Downside #2 - higher O2 contents result in higher O2 partial pressures, ultimately limiting our depth on dives. Know the depth you plan to dive, choose your gas appropriately, don't deviate from your dive plan, and all should be good.

Downside #3 - Nitrox costs money, so unless you are diving in the recreational mid-ranges (50 to 100 ft), and/or planning repeptitive dives with reduced surfaced intervals, then don't waste the money.

And finally, the risks of handling and filling nitrox are very questionable, depending on where you seek your info. The scuba industry has chosen some random numbers such as 40% and have attached that to recreational limits, gear cleanliness and selection, and a few other things. There is absolutely no scientific basis to this number, in fact, the Compressed Gas Association (CGA) standards for dealing with enriched air start at 225 - there is no leeway for that 22-40% range. And they actually do have a scientific basis. But in all practicality, the important thing is how your tank if filled. If you (or your dive shop) are doing partial pressure fills, then you are putting 100% O2 in the tank, through the valve, and then topping it off with air. The velocities of the gases as they travel through the internal bends of the valve can approach 600 miles per hour - yes you read that right. And if we remember the "fire triangle" formula, you know you need heat, fuel and oxygen to have a fire. For the record, an "oxygen explosion" is really just a very fast growing fire; it is not an explosion in itself. So, when you are pumping that 100% O2 through that valve you want to make sure it is clean and has components and lubricants that are compatible with O2 to reduce the risk of a fire (explosion). If, on the other hand, you are filling the tank from banked nitrox, you have greatly reduced the risk by reducing the partial pressure of the O2 in the gas.

And when we breath the gas, it is coming out of the tank & valve at the reduced mix level, so again, the risk of fire (explosion) is reduced, but not eliminated.

I hope this has helped a little!

I apologize in advance for this stupid question.....

What are the advantages of 'tec' diving and how are the dives different?

The intro cert doesn't allow you to go any longer or deeper. Deco and other yes, deeper/longer.

I took intro and learned a fair amount in it. I felt comfortable with myself before but was even more so when I came out. My instructor knew that I was going on to adv. nitrox and deco later that month. So we did a lot of stuff geared more to the next class. I would have hated to have done adv. nitrox and deco with the skills that I had before intro. I wasn't bad but improved a lot.

I apologize in advance for this stupid question.....

What are the advantages of 'tec' diving and how are the dives different?

It's not a stupid question and gets debated here from time to time. I think the main thing that makes tech dives different is that you no longer have direct access to the surface in case something goes wrong. There's a ceiling over your head, either hard, such as a wreck or cave, or soft, as in a deco obligation that you can't ignore without a real chance of injury or death. Problems have to be fixed where you are, which has a lot of implications regarding skills, redundant equipment and gas, etc.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom