Intro to Tech, to make a better Rec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be awesome if divers could learn trim, buoyancy and propulsion without the danger of getting indoctrinated into a community where they may forget why they started diving in the first place. On one hand, that community can open up doors you never thought you'd pass through on the way to experiences you may never dreamed. On the other hand, that same community can kill so much of the freedom and child-like joy that diving can be.

It wasn't even about me, it was a reminder to the SB universe in general. I looked up the cost once because I was curious. A couple grand for a class, add airfare, hotel, meals, a week off work...how many people are going to be able to afford that? I know a lot of divers who scrimp and save to be able to afford gear, quarry fees, additional training. A regional trip for a few days of diving requires more budget shuffling around.

By comparison, Intro to Tech is a weekend and maybe $400 including site entrance fees.
That's tech or cave pricing, not fundamentals.

The 5 day class I took in Austin in 2015 I paid a total of $850 to the instructor. And it was totally worth it. At this point I'm not sure what this included, it might have included the place I stayed, which was with a friends of hers.

It would be awesome if divers could learn trim, buoyancy and propulsion without the danger of getting indoctrinated into a community where they may forget why they started diving in the first place. On one hand, that community can open up doors you never thought you'd pass through on the way to experiences you may never dreamed. On the other hand, that same community can kill so much of the freedom and child-like joy that diving can be.
Only if you let it.

"Jarrod Jablonski came out to visit GUE Seattle and glad-hand folks, and give a talk on the Mars exploration project. But most of all, for us, he DOVE with us . . . and I was lucky enough, on our second dive today off the Bandito charter boats, to land Jarrod as my dive buddy, in a team of two.

"The site was Milepost 8, which is a drift dive in the Tacoma Narrows. Currents can be pretty strong there, but the dive was planned to go with them and enjoy them. I was, as you might imagine, INCREDIBLY nervous about diving with Mr. GUE himself; I was sure I had to be absolutely perfect. The first three minutes were miserable, until I turned around and saw Jarrod peering under a rock, stabilizing himself with a couple of fingers, and I thought, "Well, maybe not PERFECT." We went on to drift some nice structure with a lot of colorful sponges, and then, trying to avoid the current's desire to push us up into very shallow water, we ended up flying over an almost featureless bottom composed of uniform, round rocks. Except for the occasional starfish or heavily camouflaged sculpin, it was rather monotonous . . .

"Until I looked at Jarrod, and found him doing barrel rolls without a scooter. I followed suit, and then tried the handspring maneuver Richard Jack did on his Agate Pass drift dive, and discovered you need enough current to push your feet on over when you do that, or you end up feet up and floundering, and looking stupid and trying to shrug your gear back into place without anyone noticing. Jarrod tactfully inspected a single kelp stalk while I shook myself back into order, and then swam over and presented his spread arms, fists clenched. I high-fived him, and then had an inspiration, and grabbed his left hand with my right, and did an elegant dancing spin, coming back to our original position, at which point I found my hands grasped, and myself bent backwards over a strong leading arm, as though we were tangoing and doing a graceful, deep dip. By this time, I was laughing hysterically, and Jarrod was grinning ear to ear.

"We abandoned the dance and went back to flying, and the next thing I knew, Jarrod had removed his fins and had them on his hands and was swimming with them. (I have some video of this which, if I figure out how to process video, I will post.) Then he was upside-down and blowing bubble rings in 15 feet of water . . .

"I can't remember when I have laughed so hard during a dive. This is what we go underwater for . . . for the pure joy of being free in three dimensions, to pursue a diligent and detailed critter hunt if the circumstances warrant it; to gather scientific data if that's the purpose of the dive; to document historical wrecks and answer questions that have lain unsolved for centuries . . . and sometimes, just to dance."

It wasn't even about me, it was a reminder to the SB universe in general. I looked up the cost once because I was curious. A couple grand for a class, add airfare, hotel, meals, a week off work...how many people are going to be able to afford that? I know a lot of divers who scrimp and save to be able to afford gear, quarry fees, additional training. A regional trip for a few days of diving requires more budget shuffling around.

By comparison, Intro to Tech is a weekend and maybe $400 including site entrance fees.

Huh? My fundies class was $650.

Only if you let it.

"Jarrod Jablonski came out to visit GUE Seattle and glad-hand folks, and give a talk on the Mars exploration project. But most of all, for us, he DOVE with us . . . and I was lucky enough, on our second dive today off the Bandito charter boats, to land Jarrod as my dive buddy, in a team of two.

"The site was Milepost 8, which is a drift dive in the Tacoma Narrows. Currents can be pretty strong there, but the dive was planned to go with them and enjoy them. I was, as you might imagine, INCREDIBLY nervous about diving with Mr. GUE himself; I was sure I had to be absolutely perfect. The first three minutes were miserable, until I turned around and saw Jarrod peering under a rock, stabilizing himself with a couple of fingers, and I thought, "Well, maybe not PERFECT." We went on to drift some nice structure with a lot of colorful sponges, and then, trying to avoid the current's desire to push us up into very shallow water, we ended up flying over an almost featureless bottom composed of uniform, round rocks. Except for the occasional starfish or heavily camouflaged sculpin, it was rather monotonous . . .

"Until I looked at Jarrod, and found him doing barrel rolls without a scooter. I followed suit, and then tried the handspring maneuver Richard Jack did on his Agate Pass drift dive, and discovered you need enough current to push your feet on over when you do that, or you end up feet up and floundering, and looking stupid and trying to shrug your gear back into place without anyone noticing. Jarrod tactfully inspected a single kelp stalk while I shook myself back into order, and then swam over and presented his spread arms, fists clenched. I high-fived him, and then had an inspiration, and grabbed his left hand with my right, and did an elegant dancing spin, coming back to our original position, at which point I found my hands grasped, and myself bent backwards over a strong leading arm, as though we were tangoing and doing a graceful, deep dip. By this time, I was laughing hysterically, and Jarrod was grinning ear to ear.

"We abandoned the dance and went back to flying, and the next thing I knew, Jarrod had removed his fins and had them on his hands and was swimming with them. (I have some video of this which, if I figure out how to process video, I will post.) Then he was upside-down and blowing bubble rings in 15 feet of water . . .

"I can't remember when I have laughed so hard during a dive. This is what we go underwater for . . . for the pure joy of being free in three dimensions, to pursue a diligent and detailed critter hunt if the circumstances warrant it; to gather scientific data if that's the purpose of the dive; to document historical wrecks and answer questions that have lain unsolved for centuries . . . and sometimes, just to dance."
I need to have some fun like that the next time I do the Narrows.

Only a dedicated and determined diver can improve himself/herself on skill/technique.

Trace,

You know, I'm not the most coachable person (both my Dutch and Greek sides are pretty darn stubborn). The best advice I received by a GUE diver prior to taking fundies was "you don't have to drink the Kool-Aid, just focus on the skills". And he was 100% correct. When it comes to skills, I have a lot of respect for GUE/UTD/ISE/the cave community. Being in Seattle, I am fortunate to have a large GUE community with two great instructors and two more close by in Vancouver. And there's that UTD guy on Van Isle I hope to dive with one day. I'm just in it to the skills and I'm loving my progression. Where I wind up long term, who knows as I've just started down this path.

Given the OP's location, if John doesn't work for him for any reason, there is a GUE fundies instructor, Rob Calkins, in Broomfield. I can't tell from the UTD site of what UTD instructors may be close by. I believe that ISE is expanding in the US, starting in Colorado. But at this point, John or Rob C. will probably work best for him.

I realize that most of the 20+ posts since the OP said he would contact me have been dedicated to stopping him from making such a dreadful decision. I promise that in working with him I will try not to kill him, and if I do well enough with him, perhaps someday he will be able to swim close enough to a GUE diver to reach out, touch the hem of his dry suit, and be healed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom