IP Gauge Exploded in my Hand!! *GRAPHIC*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportdiver24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Testing the IP on some regs tuesday and when i got to the last one it was waaaay too high and blew up the gauge in my hand. It could have been ALOT worse. Next time i have a questionable IP im gonna test it with an spg first to make sure its below the 300psi limit of the ip gauge.

hand.jpg

chest.jpg

leg.jpg

Ouch

Who makes a low pressure SPG hose? I've never heard of one.

Better yet. Don't hold the gauge when turning on the gas.

Ouch

Who makes a low pressure SPG hose? I've never heard of one.

Better yet. Don't hold the gauge when turning on the gas.

I've got a low pressure IP gauge that has a quick connect on it for hooking it to a BC inflator hose.

Whenever doing IP test, we always make sure there is a reg hooked up to the first stage as well. It's used as a pressure relief valve to bleed off pressure til you make sure the IP isn't set too high causing the problem in the pics.

If the IP doesnt stabilize, keep the purge button pressed and shut off the air supply.

This is the reason you ALWAYS have a pressure relief on the IP gauge or have a second stage installed on the first stage in addition to the IP gauge. Either will act as a safety valve and prevent this type of accident.

Jeff, if your are asking who makes a 3/8 inch HP hose for SPGs, they are still available, it was the standard size until the mid to late 70s. I think Trident still sells them and they are common on vintage SPGs.....Anyone working on vintage regs has to be careful not to put LP items into the HP port, which may have happened here.

I've got a low pressure IP gauge that has a quick connect on it for hooking it to a BC inflator hose.
Thats what I have too. (and maybe what the OP had as well) but not what the OP was talking about.

It was one of those gauges that connects to the bc hose. There was no pressure relief on the gauge and no second stage installed. It was definetly a lp port it was hooked to. I definetly learned from this experience and i hope others will as well that is why i am sharing his with everyone. So now i will be buying a new ip gauge WITH pressure relief and making sure i have a second stage installed while testing (second stage will freeflow immediatly with too high of ip).

Damn bro.....

If all you got were blisters and bruises then count yourself lucky. Sht like that can go bad....

R..

:shocked2: Ouch!!!!! Thanks for sharing this, I'm glad you are "ok".

Heal quickly.

Back
Top Bottom