IP Gauge Exploded in my Hand!! *GRAPHIC*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sportdiver24......thanks for sharing, I learn everyday from SB, heal quickly.......

M

1) You are one hairy lady.

2) You have stubby hands.

3) I am REALLY glad you didn't lose that hand. You are lucky!

4) Rubber duckies on the fish thank - he he!

5) j/k you are a sexy beast!

A couple thoughts...

If a first stage has a downstream second stage attached, the pressure will vent through the second stage before anything blows up.

If no second stage is attached (argon reg, etc) you need an OPV. They make a small one that scews in a 3/8" LP port.

In any event whenever you pressurize a reg with an IP gauge attached, crack the valve slowly with the purge depressed, then slowly release the urge - if the IP passes 160 or, depress the purge and shut off the valve. In that case if the IP is way out of adjustment or if the seat leaks badly, you won't blow anything up.

That got my attention. I was just about ready to order an IP Gauge when I stumbled upon this post.

I decided to snoop around on the web looking for bits and pieces:
  • IP Gauge
  • Over Pressure Relief valve
  • Quick Release compatible with my Aqualung Airsource hose.
I also found DIY instructions for making your own integrated system.

Then I stumbled onto this:
Tools - Regulator Tools - Deluxe IP Checker - Brass Gauge - Northeast Scuba Supply

It's a ready built integrated system. Competitive price. There are two basic versions: one with a brass body and a less expensive one with a steel body. Northeast didn't advertise the item on their site with the quick release that I needed so I called them up and they said 'no problem, we'll build one for your LP hose at the regular price'.

Nice gauge but you realize you can buy all the parts with the exception of the nipple at Northern tool for around $12-15. Granted, the gauge is not as nice but for a home shop, a shop quality gauge is not necessary. On mine I used a standard 1/4 nipple and cut off an old second stage hose instead of the quick disconnect but either would do......I need to check what the threads are on the junk LP inflator quick connect I have.....

I've been sobered to the effects that 3000 PSI can have from my time in aviation (Ground crew tried to fill a 180 PSI tire with 3000PSI N2 by mistake, or maybe "it won't happen to me" attitude. Pieces of him were found over 100' away from the incident site.) so I know that high pressure is no joke. I think this is an excellent post, and excellent pictures to educate the scuba community to the dangers involved with high pressure gas. I'm glad you weren't looking at the gauge, that looks like road rash so in 4 weeks you should be well healed. From personal experience stay out of the water until then, I went surfing with road rash and some funky stuff started growing in there after. Not fun.

Wow, you almost made it to the "1,000 Ways to Die" show.

Back
Top Bottom