Irresponsible parenting IMHO. Dad lets uncert. young son dive. (+link)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum:
It's easy to say leave it to a pro, but if dad's a DM, although not an instructor it is a little gray.
It may be a little gray because his department may be bright enough to realize that recreational diving credentials should mean nothing in the PSD world.

In point of fact, what do recreational instructor credentials really mean today? When you get down to it, all they mean is that you may buy insurance, something that is irrelevant (in many cases) if you are teaching PSD or research diving, where the organization that you teach for may carry blanket instructional liability insurance, or enjoy sovereign immunity.

JahJahwarrior:
If training to shoot guns is training to kill, then pretty much everything else is training to die. Atleast with a gun you aren't trained to aim it at yourself. You learn to drive, you'll get in an accident someday. Samething with boating or flying or mountain climbing. Heck, anything in the water gives you a potential to drown, even the bathtub.
Guns are made to kill. I would like to hear any better uses you have for them. I would also like to point out that the United States has the sixth highest murder rate in the world, and I can guess why after reading some of these posts (by two particular posters).

Zingtea:
Guns are made to kill. I would like to hear any better uses you have for them. I would also like to point out that the United States has the sixth highest murder rate in the world, and I can guess why after reading some of these posts (by two particular posters).

Guns are made to propel a lead bullet at high speed at a target, that is all. It is how they are used that is the problem. Stop blaming the tool, start blaming the person. My guns have never killed anyone.

As for stating the United States has the sixth highest murder rate in the world I say state your source. My searches show it as 24th and that data is old (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita). The murder rate in the United States has been declining not increasing so I find 6th in the world hard to swallow.

And so this stays on topic somewhat here's my view about parents having their kids on Scuba:

My parents had me on Scuba in our pool from an age of 8. They gave us enough instruction not to kill ourselves and kept a close eye on us until they were confident we weren't a danger to ourselves. There is nothing magical about having a C-card. It is a piece of plastic, the knowledge is what is important. I have taken friends on Scuba into pools but only after going over all the basics and having them demonstrate basic skills to me. I also explained very carefully the risks involved as I am well aware you can get an AGE is only 4 feet of water. Unfortunately everything in todays society seems to be about making it safer, personal responsibility is basically non-existent. We seem to have a law for just about everything you could do to hurt yourself anymore and I think that is just plain wrong. Of course that's just my opinion.

Zingtea:

Guns are made to kill. The most common application of that killing ability these days for civilians is hunting which is legal in the US.

I started going hunting with my father as soon as I had long enough legs to make my way through the fields. As soon as I had long enough arms and big enough hands I started shooting. When my father decided that I was ready I carried a gun in the field.

We hunted rabbits, squirrels, doves, woodcock, pheasant, ducks, geese, quail and a few grouse.

Aside from hunting, target shooting is fantastic fun and to be skilled with handgun, shotgun or rifle is of the highest kind of skill. I have owned all sorts of guns of more types than I'm going into here but the thousands and thousands of hours of pure pleasure that guns, hunting and fishing were part of with both family and friends is beyond description. In all of it no person ever died or was injured. I have personally seen several hurt diving though.

I should also point out that while we do have murder in this country, in general, our nations murderers and our nations sportsmen are two completely different groups. They even prefer different sorts of guns usually. Gangs and drugs, now there are a couple of things that really lead to murder. Poverty...when one person wants to take anothers money somethimes people get hurt. Hunting? Good family fun and it puts food on the table. I really feel for the people who grow up so afraid of such common tools just because there are ways to misuse those tools. Where I come from, learning to hunt fish and prepare game for the table was all just part of growing up especially for a young boy. Many of the skills and responsibilities learned aren't all that different from those associated with taking care of a family. Something that a young boy will likey need to do some day. And yes I suppose that a gun could also be used to protect ones family...another responsibility. If my family is threatened, whether I am bare handed or use nuclear weapons, It's my job to be the first line of defense, by my witts first but failing all else by my skill as a protector.

To be sure, these values are becoming obsolete. Pardon me if I try to hold onto them for what's left of my life. Hopefully, the really ugly changes will hold off until I'm gone.

I don't hunt much these days and I don't have any guns left. I like shooting a bow. Another tool that is primarily designed for killing that also does a great job at punching holes in paper, foam, plastic bottles and whatever else I can find to pierce. I get to reuse the ammo and it's nice and quiet so I can shoot all I want right out in my yard. It's getting harder and harder to find places where you can shoot guns or hunt around here.

There are a number of other tools that also do a fair job of killing. Knives, hammers, hatchets, basball bats, cars and my favorite the CHAINSAW. Let's not forget the now famous box cutter. I make knives and hatchets, BTW. I forge them and do all the grinding and polishing by hand, the old fashioned way. People killed each other long before there were guns.

It's a different era these days. My dad cut us lose in the pool with scuba gear and we had a blast. We knew the rules about never hold your breath, don't shoot to the surface, and equalize our ears. Course that was in 1973 and even though scuba gear is inherently more safe now and the practices are more standardized we worry even more about the dangers.

As my friends have been raising their kids in a very protected world, mine got dirty, scrapped their knees, ate dog kibble, fell out of trees, played John Wayne and fell off their horses, and most importantly enjoyed life.

MikeFerrara:
There are a number of other tools that also do a fair job of killing. Knives, hammers, hatchets, basball bats, cars and my favorite the CHAINSAW. Let's not forget the now famous box cutter. I make knives and hatchets, BTW. I forge them and do all the grinding and polishing by hand, the old fashioned way. People killed each other long before there were guns.
Those tools aren't made for killing. They happen to be useful for that application for some people. You can't tell me that a pistol or M16 is used for hunting, unless you hunt other people. Why do you shoot fake targets with a gun when you could use a paintball or BB gun, which is cheaper and less of a hassle to buy? Tell me why you hunt as well. Are you living in some remote spot in the mountains, a hundred miles from civilization, where there happens to be Internet access? Is the only food available that which you hunt/gather yourself? Or do you kill for fun?

Zingtea:
You can't tell me that a pistol or M16 is used for hunting, unless you hunt other people. Why do you shoot fake targets with a gun when you could use a paintball or BB gun, which is cheaper and less of a hassle to buy? Tell me why you hunt as well. Are you living in some remote spot in the mountains, a hundred miles from civilization, where there happens to be Internet access? Is the only food available that which you hunt/gather yourself? Or do you kill for fun?

Actually, people do use pistols for hunting. There are quite a few manufactures that designs handguns for game deer size and smaller. The M16 is a different matter all together. It is a automatic military rifle. They are regulated to the extreme, numerous types of licenses are required to own one, and if can find one to purchase they cost around $16,000. For the record, I do not hunt and have no desire to do so. I do however own numerous firearms of various sorts. Firearms serve a very important purpose, self-defense. Whether it be from the intruder who breaks into your house at night or from a tyrannical government (which is why our country's founding father saw fit to give US citizens the RIGHT to bears arms in the 2nd amendment of our constitution).
By the way, Glock, an Austrian company, is one of the most popular firearm manufactures in the US. They sells their pistols, which they designed for the Austrian Army, all over the world to private citizens. Perhaps if you are concerned with the murder rate due to firearms, you should start in you own backyard.
If the purpose of guns is ONLY to kill, it's amazing that I shoot thousands of rounds a year and have yet to kill anyone, or anything.

jeraldjcook:
By the way, Glock, an Austrian company, is one of the most popular firearm manufactures in the US. They sells their pistols, which they designed for the Austrian Army, all over the world to private citizens. Perhaps if you are concerned with the murder rate due to firearms, you should start in you own backyard.
What gave you the idea that I like European gun companies? I mentioned the USA murder rate because I'm American (I don't know about you) and have lived in the USA for 8 years, so that's relevant to me. It's useless for you to try to change the subject by involving national pride. Anyway, I'd love to hear you say that there are more gun-related murders here than in the USA.
Firearms serve a very important purpose, self-defense. Whether it be from the intruder .... or from a tyrannical government...
What does that mean, shooting police that try to arrest you?

Excellent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom