Is 5 mil too much suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is Cozemul Carnival week about? (2/23-3/1)

Thanks- all great advice on the suit- most agree I would like my 5, and considering the night dives and all a good choice. Also, looks like a benie may be on the Christmas list.

I've been on dives there when I started to chill with half a tank left, pulled my 1 mil beanie out of my BC pocket, put it on - ahhhhh! $13. A 3 mil wouldn't be too much. Any color you want as long as it's black.

Carnival, or rather, Carnaval is Cozumel's Mardi Gras week. The dates for 2009 are Feb. 18-24. The square is filled with vendors offering games of chance, food, beads & toys, masks and crafts. Many special events in the square and elsewhere for the voting & coronation of the Kings & Queens and dance & costume contests between the Carnaval teams. There's a pet parade and lots of dancing, street performance and music all over town. The nightly parades on the waterfront between city hall and the airport blvd. begin on Saturday & end with the Big One on Fat Tuesday. Bring a costume and/or beads to share -- it's crazy & festive & one of the best times to be had on the island.

You can always cool down when you're warm (flush the suit)...
However, it's impossible to warm up if you're cold...

Take the 5mm...

Thanks for rubbing in the fact that we aren't there and you are !
Hope your dives and days are going well there, can't wait to get back.
We got off to a rough start when the outer-bands of Ike hit and shut down the harbor, but now we're having a blast. We're taking our AOW with BlueXT and Christi has been great. And we can't compliment Arturo, our instructor, enough. This guy is simply a fantastic instructor and an all-around great guy.

Ketchumid- I know you'll have a blast and the beanie was definitely a great suggestion. If just to have it handy.:banana:

You can always cool down when you're warm (flush the suit)...
However, it's impossible to warm up if you're cold...

Take the 5mm...

Perfect-

I'd be too cold in just a 5 mm, especially when I am using steel 120s which extend the bottom time. I have a Bare 5-4-3 and I wear a hyperstretch 5 mm (which feels more like a Bare 3 mm) hooded vest under it. On SIs, I peel off the vest and wetsuit if we're doing it on a beach. Blue Angel doesn't do most SIs on a beach and they don't have jackets or towels on board. A good heavy windbreaker accompanies me when I dive with them.

Wife always dives 5mm, and gets cold after a few days of repetative diving. I dive 3mm, and sometimes get a bit cold right at the end of the week. I think as you have seen, it varies from diver to diver. As was stated here, I havent heard anybody saying they got too warm.....take the 5 mm.

I have a similar question, I am a cold water diver from Canada coming down to Cozumel in November for my first warm water diving. I have two wetsuits, one I use for diving and one for other various water sports. My diving suit is a Bare 7mm two piece suit that gives 14mm protection over the core and I also use a 3 fingered gloves and hood. Obviously too much for Cozumel but works well for the 39 F - 44 F water that I'm used to diving in up here. My other wetsuit is simply a 2mm shorty. Will this be enough or should I rent a suit while down there?

I must say however, I am really looking forward to diving in water where bottom time is determined by air in the tank and not how long I can stand the cold. Usually up here after a dive time of 25 minutes I surface with usually 1500 lbs of air still in the tank as it is too cold to stay down longer.

My other wetsuit is simply a 2mm shorty. Will this be enough or should I rent a suit while down there?

Ha! For you, the shorty might be enough! You could always just bring the farmer john without the top....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom