Is a Backplate/wing worth it?

Do you have any trouble with a Backplate/Wing?

• Nope, Go for it, Solid buy

Votes: 70 92.1%
  • Some, Tends to push me when on the surface

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Some, difficult control underwater

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Difficult to get used to from a Vest

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not what I expected

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaru_Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I hear over and over again how great a bp/w is. Then I also hear how they tend to push you forward when on the surface. I am a new diver with a limited budget and in many senses a bp/w seems to be a good fit for me. My LDS has a "Technical" bp/w used for $300, I tried it on and it's a great fit. But I am worried about all of this talk of pushing me forward on the surface or effecting my float control when under. Any input?

I am a 6 ft, 165lbs, 20 yr old college guy to set the picture of who I am.

It's not that big of deal if it isn't overinflated. If it is pushing you forward, let a little air out and it will be fine.

See if the shop will let you try it in the pool so you can decide for yourself.

The BPW pushing you forward is a myth propagated by those who do not know how to set one up, overweight their students to begin with, or do not sell them. If anything underwater buoyancy control is easier, the rig is more stable, and the weight is where it needs to be- over your lungs. It is also infinitely more adjustable. The only way it will push you forward is if you overinflate the wing due to being overweighted. Remember you do not need to have your entire torso out of the water. For me my chin is enough.

Just add a bit to Jim's excellent post:

If a diver is properly weighted they only need a small puff of gas in the wing to be comfortable at the surface.

This small volume of gas will be behind the divers shoulders, not down around their waist. A puff of gas behind the shoulders simply cannot force a diver face first in the water.

Because a Hogarthian Harness includes a crotch strap as the the "rig" rises out of the water so does the diver.

Now contrast that with a Back inflate with no crotch strap and a typical overweighted diver:

Overweighted means *LOTS* of gas needs to be added to the BC, i.e. inflated all the way down to their hips, and the rig will tend to climb up the divers body due the lack of a crotch strap. This inevitably leads the diver to add even more gas to the BC. Not Pretty.

Tobin

Go for it. There are few things out there that feel as secure, durable or as streamline as a bp/w

SangP

You may want to describe more about what is included in the "Tech BP/W". There are many good rigs but there are also some poorly designed rigs that may well not be worth $300. It is not uncommon to find oversized wings on single tank rigs that may not perform well at all.

Best scuba purchase you will ever make.

I have a back-inflate BC (not BP/w) - it used to "push me forward" a bit, but this was easily dealt with by resting on my back. The problem no longer exists as I have repositioned my weights. I took some weight off the belt and moved it to my top cam strap so that I could achieve good trim (i.e., the ability to hover in a horizontal position without any fin or hand movement) for a cavern diver course. Now I no longer get "pushed forward." Note: I dive very cold water, so I need lots of weight.

Summary: with proper weight distribution, even a properly-weighted but heavily-weighted diver can enjoy a comfortable float at the surface with a rear-inflating buoyancy control device.

I have a back-inflate BC (not BP/w) - it used to "push me forward" a bit, but this was easily dealt with by resting on my back. The problem no longer exists as I have repositioned my weights. I took some weight off the belt and moved it to my top cam strap so that I could achieve good trim (i.e., the ability to hover in a horizontal position without any fin or hand movement) for a cavern diver course. Now I no longer get "pushed forward." Note: I dive very cold water, so I need lots of weight.

Summary: with proper weight distribution, even a properly-weighted but heavily-weighted diver can enjoy a comfortable float at the surface with a rear-inflating buoyancy control device.

This was my experience too with a back-inflate BCD. I have found after about a month of diving a BP/W that the BP/W works better, for me at least. I'm actually thinking of selling my back-inflate now, since I can't think of a situation where it would be better than a BP/W - but I'll hold on to it until I get some more experience with the BP/W.

With a properly adjusted crotch strap, the push-forward thing is a non-issue. I have dived a BP/W in every configuration from small tanks and minimal weight in the tropics, to going down massively heavy with doubles and deco bottles. Being pushed forward has never been a problem.

Back
Top Bottom