Is a marine head a "must" for you?

How important is a marine head (toilet) on a boat for a 2-tank recreational dive trip?

• Absolute must - I'm female

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Absolute must - I'm male

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • All things being equal, I'd choose the one with the head

Votes: 86 56.6%
  • That's what the ocean is for!

Votes: 46 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No so much of a stretch: Leonard looks quite a bit like Linus, and Linus does dive. A kernel OOPS in a drysuit for lack of preparation, diet discipline or foresight, that, on the other hand is a stretch. Even Laurent Ballesta with his marathon dive in Polynesia did not bring diapers. BTW, what are the specifications of a DIR diaper ?

The truth be told, my wife did have a memorable "ocean handwash event" once, and it was only her 3rd open water dive. She had to drop the tank and BCD, secure the belt, attach all to a lifeline with help from her DM, strip off 5mm onepiece+5mm overvest+polarfleece undergarment (yes, I know) and then wash off all the bits while floating in her swimsuit in a 13 Celsius early spring meditteranean water, before coming closer to the RIB. That was caused by a bout of lactose intolerance combined with a bit of stress and a rough seas... But she handled it like a boss and earned the respect and everlasting jokes from those who witnessed her OW cert outing.
THERE's a story :)

The boats I've dived off do have heads, but I've never used one. Dive wet, pee in wetsuit. The boat I use the most goes out of a marina with nice floating bathrooms on the docks amongst all the slips. I'll pee there (and once #2 before getting on the boat).

As for #2, well, that's why I usually take Immodium as a preventive measure before I leave for the boat. My insides can get churny even without being on a boat. Just stop it up before I have issues. :wink:

Have to say I am fortunate in that I have a relatively strong constitution so "performing" while diving or on a day boat is not generally needed. I can time my daily routine to within a few minutes unless I have changed my diet for any reason (which I am pretty careful not to do when diving is on the cards).

I have to say I am also fortunate to have a strong bladder and seem to be unaffected by immersion diuresis - unless I am wildly overhydrating I generally only need to go a couple of times a day. Prior planning prevents p**s poor performance - go before I get in the water (or even on the boat) and I am normally good for a few hours never mind the 1 hr of a normal dive). I have not "christened" any of my wetsuits (3mm, 5mm or 7mm).

Having said that I would prefer a boat with a head if everything else was equal.

@fnog - MUCH respect to your wife!! Wow!

Jealous of everyone here who has never needed one, but I was very grateful to have a marine head present on a boat out of pompano about a year ago! Crohn's sucks!

Back
Top Bottom