Is a marine head a "must" for you?

How important is a marine head (toilet) on a boat for a 2-tank recreational dive trip?

• Absolute must - I'm female

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Absolute must - I'm male

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • All things being equal, I'd choose the one with the head

Votes: 86 56.6%
  • That's what the ocean is for!

Votes: 46 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, but it is very nice to NOT have to **** off the side of the boat.
Yeah, that's my thought. Even with my sensitive bladder (medical condition I take pills for, not because I'm just old), I can manage an hour plus boat ride back if I pee right before exiting the water. Now, we're talking Fl. Panhandle trips mid winter, so I'm probably wearing only the top to my 7 mil farmer john, so that helps. But, it's not No.1 that ruins the fun. There is one boat I've taken 3 times that is headless. Pee is not my concern. I have been lucky to not have to do the other thing ever--yet, in 700+ dives, boat or shore. Lucky I guess. Boats in the North Gulf go out maybe once every 2-3 weeks there in winter. But come April, I believe they begin to go out WAY more often. What does a headless boat DO when No.2 affects YOU? As tomfcrist suggests--over the side? Not at all appealing.

There's no shame in sending a sailor off to sea while diving.....

I'm comfortable doing my business overboard. On a mixed boat I'm not sure everyone would be waiting for a "show" so in that case if there were women on board I would use a head just to not be "that guy".

R..

There's no shame in sending a sailor off to sea while diving.....
Are you talking Warhammer in 7 mil suit?

My first choice is a boat with a head but it doesn't really matter.

When Merry and I were researching our boat a marine head was at the top of her list of requirements. There were countless beach dives where she frantically raced to get out of her drysuit after getting back on shore. Sometimes she still races to get out of her suit, but the head is only a few feet away. Happy wife = happy life.

On every day trip boat I've seen, it goes straight into the sea anyway, so I kinda appreciate "headless" boats for less need to watch out when underwater. I know my FFM mostly protects me, but it's not always suitable for the dive...

For practical reasons, I prefer ones with extremely uninviting latrines that keep #1 no problem, but where you'll only go for #2 if absolutely necessary, not the moment you feel the call as many civilians are used to.

I have tinkled off the back of a boat on many a dive...

Depend on where you are and the kind of dive boats used.
There is no way the builder can put anything substantial on a 200HP speed boat eg. Palau.
While in Philippines, there is always a primitive one on a big banca boat.
No.1 is ok without a "head" but No.2?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom