Is a marine head a "must" for you?

How important is a marine head (toilet) on a boat for a 2-tank recreational dive trip?

• Absolute must - I'm female

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Absolute must - I'm male

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • All things being equal, I'd choose the one with the head

Votes: 86 56.6%
  • That's what the ocean is for!

Votes: 46 30.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had gyppy tummy I probably wouldn't be out diving. Certainly won't order the day old seafood and refried beans the night before.

But if the boat was anything larger than a six-pack, I'd have to wonder just how cheap the operator was being on everything else, if they couldn't manage to have a working head. Even if they said "We have one but please don't use it unless you have to." If they're out on the water all day....Heck, don't they need it once in a while too?

On every day trip boat I've seen, it goes straight into the sea anyway, so I kinda appreciate "headless" boats for less need to watch out when underwater. I know my FFM mostly protects me, but it's not always suitable for the dive...

For practical reasons, I prefer ones with extremely uninviting latrines that keep #1 no problem, but where you'll only go for #2 if absolutely necessary, not the moment you feel the call as many civilians are used to.
Sheldon: "When do you evacuate your bowels"?
Leonard: When I have to"?
Sheldon: "Hippy".

@TMHeimer - hilarious!!! Love Big Bang! Now imagining Leonard diving (total stretch) and having eaten dairy the night before ... :giggle:

@TMHeimer - hilarious!!! Love Big Bang! Now imagining Leonard diving (total stretch) and having eaten dairy the night before ... :giggle:
In his drysuit.

Sometimes the unexpected happens.

Note if you are in a 48 ft boat returning at high speed in rough seas from a dive over an hour off shore and you suddenly absolutely have to do Number 2 tell the crew and have the captain slow down. Do not go down into the head in the bow and start your business and have the boat hit a really big swell and you go completely airborne with no part of you within a foot of any part of the boat. Got out of it with only a few bruises. Was lucky. Crew had a good laugh.

Have to say that when I get on a dive boat, whether or not there is a head is not the first thought that runs through my mind, so not really a must. If thinking only of myself, I would cast my vote for “that’s what the ocean’s for,” but since I’m getting older and thinking of others who may be on the boat, I selected “All things being equal...”

#1 in the big pool and #2, have never felt the need while out in a dive boat (knock on wood), but suppose in the event I did, the head would be nice to have. Hope I forget this thread by next month when I’m diving again!

The ocean's only for #2 if it is warm enough not to be in a thick wetsuit or drysuit. I believe Mr. Warhammer wore only a bathing suit.

Hi Kimela,

A head is not a must. It is nice when you are on a long boat ride or diving cold water. Jumping in the water and hanging around the swim step is OK in warm water.

The five gallon bucket seems to leave a permanent red ring around my ass when downloading a double deuce. Better to have the red ring than a gut full of crap. The seawater combined with the brown bombers in the bucket looks gross when heaving it overboard.

On second thought, I'd rather have a head.

markm

No so much of a stretch: Leonard looks quite a bit like Linus, and Linus does dive. A kernel OOPS in a drysuit for lack of preparation, diet discipline or foresight, that, on the other hand is a stretch. Even Laurent Ballesta with his marathon dive in Polynesia did not bring diapers. BTW, what are the specifications of a DIR diaper ?

The truth be told, my wife did have a memorable "ocean handwash event" once, and it was only her 3rd open water dive. She had to drop the tank and BCD, secure the belt, attach all to a lifeline with help from her DM, strip off 5mm onepiece+5mm overvest+polarfleece undergarment (yes, I know) and then wash off all the bits while floating in her swimsuit in a 13 Celsius early spring meditteranean water, before coming closer to the RIB. That was caused by a bout of lactose intolerance combined with a bit of stress and a rough seas... But she handled it like a boss and earned the respect and everlasting jokes from those who witnessed her OW cert outing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom