Is back inflation really 'all that'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The photo below shows a typical single tank wing (back inflate) design.
View attachment 402877
The design has a flat back section that attaches to a backplate. Surrounding that flat section is a donut shaped wing that envelopes the cylinder.

Just for clarification,at no point does a back inflate wing "lift the cylinder away from you for comfort".

The major advantage of the typical wing is that can be removed from the back plate and be used on long flights as a hemarrhoid cushion.

If the jacket BCD is what you are used to and works for you (and is paid for...) I would not sweat the value difference in it versus a BP/W. It is six of one, half a dozen of another. If you you were researching the purchase, I have a back inflate and bought my daughter a jacket BCD. I like my SP Nighthawk, but every piece of gear is going to have its quirks, once you are used to it, there is likely to be no significant performance difference worthy of the hundreds of dollars to switch.

Last edited:
1451416428_2700225_n-jpg.404960.jpg

and put the buoyancy in the wrong place.

I don't see that from your picture.

A BC is a tool. Every tool works a bit differently, and you have to learn how to use each tool. Sure, I have my favorites, but I haven't met a BC I could dive in and achieve good trim and excellent buoyancy.

It is six of one, half a dozen of another.
Amen bro. Amen!

I don’t find “back inflate” to be an advantage for my type of diving. Quite the opposite. I do however see the point of a clean, minimalist and stream-lined harness when diving in my dry suit (I use the suit for buoyancy) and that generally means putting the bladder out of the way in the back.

For warm water diving I prefer jacket style BCD:s because I find them more stable in different swimming positions. When underwater I typically only have a little bit of air in my BCD, and I like it to be above me as much as possible to help with stability. I find that jacket style BCD:s are better in that regard. No matter how i position myself in the water, horizontal, on the side, belly-up, the air in the jacket can move around my body to the highest point and stabilize that position. For me, that’s a great advantage when taking pictures or just hanging around the odd reef spotting critters hiding under overhangs. A back inflate BCD tend to rotate me back to a horizontal position. Not a big deal or a huge difference, but I can notice it.

The downside is that I do feel the squeeze from the jacket when at the surface, but I really don’t mind. I also agree that the jacket BCD:s I typically dive with are a bit bulkier. But again, I don’t find that a problem under water and I am willing to pay that price for better trim in different positions, not only horizontal.

Having said that, my current travel BCD is a back inflate and It works well enough for me to keep it until it’s time to invest in a a new, jacket style travel BCD.

I haven't found back inflates to hamper my hanging upside down and peering under reefs antics at all - there's very little air in there at any moment anyway, and I have the extra weight on the straps, so near that additional bouyancy. The tank has more bouyancy than the contents of my BC bladder at almost every point during the dive. When I'm trimmed out neutral, I want as little shift in the bouyant air bubble as I can get if I flip upside down or on my back. The BP/W provides that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom