Is certification necessary for shallow water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Waterwulf you said "I saw Horse Collar BC's on upside down, weight belts strapped on inside of the other harnesses, air turned off, J Valves turned on, etc. etc. etc." This was from people ready to do their ocean open water check out dives?
Ahh no, not during the open water dives. Had they done that at that point of their training, I would have refused to sign off on them. I saw upside BC's in the pool in the beginning a few times though and a couple of weight belts on the inside on a few open water dives. By the time they got to the open water dives, they were pretty much sorted out.

However, they still made mistakes but they were of the first open water dives type jitters. That's what I was there for: To work with them one on one getting dressed and then supervise them underwater two at a time. During the summer breaks, it was mostly Yankee college girls wanting to dive for the summer excitement. You know, summer fling, learn to dive, be crazy and have fun. And to think I got paid for that!!!

Yeah, but what about:
  • Meteorites?
  • space debris?
  • Klingons?
  • Radiation?
  • Getting air fills without an astronaut certification card?
Issues that a scuba diver will never encounter (both experienced and inexperienced divers).

A competent, capable and responsible person could dive safely.

Let's say you take this competent, capable and responsible person for a dive.

What about the less competent, less capable and less intelligent family members that drag you to court after Murphy joined on the last dive and Mother Nature tapped on your buddy's shoulder? Because during that tiny short moment that the unexpected happened, there was no training to kick in, no muscle memory, no trained reflex, just a faint memory of a webpage about scuba.

Accepting that Nature restored the balance is considered uncivilized these days, but is would solve sooooo many problems.
Yeah, but I bet an Astronaut never got a jellyfish inside his spacesuit as he was getting dressed either!!

The sort of person who can successfully self-learn dangerous skills typically isn't the sort of person who asks for permission to do so. Or maybe they're just the lucky ones.

Cool story. But regulators were there before Cousteau...
From Wikipedia:
Although a working demand regulator system had been invented in 1864 by Auguste Denayrouze and Benoît Rouquayrol,[10] the first open-circuit scuba system developed in 1925 by Yves Le Prieur in France was a manually adjusted free-flow system with a low endurance, which limited the practical usefulness of the system.[11] In 1942, during the German occupation of France, Jacques-Yves Cousteau and Émile Gagnan designed the first successful and safe open-circuit scuba, a twin hose system known as the Aqua-Lung. Their system combined an improved demand regulator with high-pressure air tanks.[12] This was patented in 1945.

I am far from an expert. Novice, really. That being said, my first diving experience was an excursion dive. I did several things I shouldn’t have, that could have gotten myself hurt. I learned the danger I put myself, and potentially, my DM in. I learned the significance of my ignorance and reckless behavior through proper training. IMO, regardless of the dive parameters, proper training and knowledge are important to keep you and your party as safe as possible.

Hi. here in poutine country (not to be mix with cave country...), we are one of the few place that require a license to dive, your padi certification or any other certification will not be recognize. You do need that license to dive either on your own or with an operator. The license is under a law. Someone not having the license could be fine up to 10 000$.

Plus each 3 years you need to demonstrated you are up to date. DM and instructor EACH YEARS.

the practice of recreational scuba diving is governed by the Regulation respecting recreational scuba diving qualifications authorized by the Act respecting safety in sports (R.S.Q., c. S-3.1, c. V.2).
Under the Act (c. V.2, ss. 46.17 and 46.18), a person who practices recreational underwater diving other than during a qualification course or examination, or who teaches, must hold a certificate attesting to the level of qualification that he has acquired in the field of underwater diving or teaching diving.
The Regulation respecting qualification in recreational underwater diving (L.R.Q., c. S-3.1, r. 8) specifies the conditions under which the holder of a certificate of qualification may dive or teach according to his level of qualification. The qualification levels are diver – class A, B, C and D and instructor – class A, B and C. The level of diver – class D allows to exercise certain functions of assistance to the instructor. For details of the levels and their requirements, see the Regulation.
For tourists or people certified outside Quebec, a temporary equivalence certificate can be issued under certain conditions.

Renewal of certificate of qualification​

As an A, B, C diver
(Every 3 years)
...have made a minimum of (10) ten recreational underwater dives using compressed gas within the last (3) three years OR
...demonstrate that you have participated in a refresher course during a dive supervised by a qualified instructor OR
...pass the examinations leading to the issuance of the certificate.
As a class D diver
(every year)
...be a member in good standing, as an assistant instructor or chief diver, of one of the agencies listed in the appendix to the regulations AND
...demonstrate that you have participated, during the validity period of your certificate, in at least one 4-hour refresher clinic within the last 3 years.
As an A, B, C instructor
(every year)
...be a member in good standing, as an instructor, of one of the agencies listed in the appendix to the regulation AND
...demonstrate that you have participated in at least one 4-hour refresher clinic in the past year during the validity period of your certificate.

Hi. here in poutine country (not to be mix with cave country...), we are one of the few place that require a license to dive, your padi certification or any other certification will not be recognize. You do need that license to dive either on your own or with an operator. The license is under a law. Someone not having the license could be fine up to 10 000$.

Plus each 3 years you need to demonstrated you are up to date. DM and instructor EACH YEARS.

the practice of recreational scuba diving is governed by the Regulation respecting recreational scuba diving qualifications authorized by the Act respecting safety in sports (R.S.Q., c. S-3.1, c. V.2).
Under the Act (c. V.2, ss. 46.17 and 46.18), a person who practices recreational underwater diving other than during a qualification course or examination, or who teaches, must hold a certificate attesting to the level of qualification that he has acquired in the field of underwater diving or teaching diving.
The Regulation respecting qualification in recreational underwater diving (L.R.Q., c. S-3.1, r. 8) specifies the conditions under which the holder of a certificate of qualification may dive or teach according to his level of qualification. The qualification levels are diver – class A, B, C and D and instructor – class A, B and C. The level of diver – class D allows to exercise certain functions of assistance to the instructor. For details of the levels and their requirements, see the Regulation.
For tourists or people certified outside Quebec, a temporary equivalence certificate can be issued under certain conditions.

As an A, B, C diver
(Every 3 years)
...have made a minimum of (10) ten recreational underwater dives using compressed gas within the last (3) three years OR
...demonstrate that you have participated in a refresher course during a dive supervised by a qualified instructor OR
As a class D diver
(every year)
...be a member in good standing, as an assistant instructor or chief diver, of one of the agencies listed in the appendix to the regulations AND
...demonstrate that you have participated, during the validity period of your certificate, in at least one 4-hour refresher clinic within the last 3 years.
As an A, B, C instructor
(every year)
...be a member in good standing, as an instructor, of one of the agencies listed in the appendix to the regulation AND
...demonstrate that you have participated in at least one 4-hour refresher clinic in the past year during the validity period of your certificate.
I'll keep that in mind if I ever find 82 degree open water up there.

As an A, B, C diver
(Every 3 years)
As a class D diver
(every year)
As an A, B, C instructor
(every year)
Here Folks is the guaranteed way to kill our sport.

blame-canada-south-park.gif

Government is not the solution, it is the problem.

From Wikipedia:
Although a working demand regulator system had been invented in 1864 by Auguste Denayrouze and Benoît Rouquayrol,[10] the first open-circuit scuba system developed in 1925 by Yves Le Prieur in France was a manually adjusted free-flow system with a low endurance, which limited the practical usefulness of the system.[11] In 1942, during the German occupation of France, Jacques-Yves Cousteau and Émile Gagnan designed the first successful and safe open-circuit scuba, a twin hose system known as the Aqua-Lung. Their system combined an improved demand regulator with high-pressure air tanks.[12] This was patented in 1945.
Hey did you even read what you just posted? The word regulator is not even prescribed to the Cousteau that was maybe 10 when
this photo of Yves Le Prieur - the real genius that invented rec diving and scuba. Which our dear friend Cousteau fought so hard to erase from our memory:
guess what's in his mouth?

Only thig that is relevant in that passage is: "designed the first successful". Commercially successful.

Although, the French army was already using the Yves scuba regulator for years. Perhaps even Cousteau learned to dive on it.

From Wikipedia:
1926:
  • Fernez-Le Prieur self-contained underwater breathing apparatus was demonstrated to the public in Paris. and adopted by the French Navy.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 9
Le who?

Leonardo, that's who!

MTI4MC5qcGc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom