Is criticism of Moderators a bannable offense?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, good night . . . all

I was about to say, "Rest in Peace", but that don't quite cut it, does it ????

Or, as we say where I was reared, "Nite y'All"

the K

A public apology...

Bob,

it has recently come to light that your password was changed. While the reasons for the Admin doing that were honorable, I feel that it is wrong to do that WITHOUT your express permission. I sincerely apologise for this breach of trust. I would have addressed this earlier, but I missed it in your post. Thanks to those who pointed it out to me.

For those who missed it, Bob indicated that he had access to the Moderator area that he shouldn't have. I remembered WHY he had access and immediately rectified the situation. An administrator came right behind me and could not find any reason, so he felt he needed to log in as Bob to see what was happening. He then made sure that Bob knew what happened after the fact.

There was no conspiracy behind this act. The admin in question was trying to resolve an issue. I am confident that this will not happen again. If you ever feel that your account has been comprimised, please feel free to contact me directly.

NetDoc:
A public apology...

Bob,

it has recently come to light that your password was changed. While the reasons for the Admin doing that were honorable, I feel that it is wrong to do that WITHOUT your express permission. I sincerely apologise for this breach of trust. I would have addressed this earlier, but I missed it in your post. Thanks to those who pointed it out to me.

For those who missed it, Bob indicated that he had access to the Moderator area that he shouldn't have. I remembered WHY he had access and immediately rectified the situation. An administrator came right behind me and could not find any reason, so he felt he needed to log in as Bob to see what was happening. He then made sure that Bob knew what happened after the fact.

There was no conspiracy behind this act. The admin in question was trying to resolve an issue. I am confident that this will not happen again. If you ever feel that your account has been comprimised, please feel free to contact me directly.
Thanks Pete ... accepted.

Since we've evolved this thread into one about movie quotes, time to ... as Pumba would put it ... "pur our behinds in the past".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

You will notice that the last few posts have been deleted.
These posts are off topic with the theme of this thread.
Please constrain your posts to the topic of the thread.

We've worked quite diligently to bring this thread to an amicable conclusion.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Kraken

The Kraken:
Ladies and Gentlemen,

You will notice that the last few posts have been deleted.
These posts are off topic with the theme of this thread.
Please constrain your posts to the topic of the thread.

We've worked quite diligently to bring this thread to an amicable conclusion.

Thank you for your understanding.

The Kraken

actually, there is a page or two, that is completely off topic, jokes and such.

techincally, by using the fact that an admin has the ability to log in as me, and therefore view my personal messeges, I think that would more fit the original topic.

so, if any posts should be erased for being off topic, it should be the ones joking about movie topics, not the ones about user paranoia regarding MODs powers.

Now, a serie of serious questions.

Are the staff members allowed to go look in our PM box for no legitimate reasons?

If no, what would be a "legitimate" reason?

Would a User be told that his PM box was or will be accessed?

What would be, or would there be, a sanction if a mod would be caught checking in someone's PM box without autorization?

I know this is a bit off topic but since we drifted into this subject, I tought it might be interesting.

edit: oops, I was writing that while The K was posting. Maybe I should start another thread with that question. It's just since NetDoc answered a question about password change, I tought I could post those questions

photohikedive:
actually, there is a page or two, that is completely off topic, jokes and such.

techincally, by using the fact that an admin has the ability to log in as me, and therefore view my personal messeges, I think that would more fit the original topic.

so, if any posts should be erased for being off topic, it should be the ones joking about movie topics, not the ones about user paranoia regarding MODs powers.

You are correct, PHD, and for the sake of fairness, I have just deleted those posts.

The Kraken

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The only reason the security of an internet site was mentioned in this thread was in context with an apology offered by the owner of the board to a member.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE IN THIS LINE OF DISCUSSION!

I trust everyone can understand my request?

The Kraken

let me preface this, by saying that I believe that the potential for invasive activities by "rogue" staff falls firmly into the category of being critical of Moderators. Also, questioning why posts on such subjects should be deleted, (a step below banning in my oppinion, having your words removed is only slightly better than not being able to post them at all.)

I realize that any and all information that is routed through SB is accessable by those who control SB. Now the question is raised, how many and who, has that ability?

Back
Top Bottom